What should the Standard include?
Author Message
 What should the Standard include?

Category 10,  Topic 30
Message 97        Sat Feb 16, 1991
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 16:23 EST

From Mitch Bradley:

Quote:
> The problem with criteria, either "necessary" or "sufficient",

 > is that there is no mechanism for either consistently applying
 > or enforcing them.

I couldn't have said it better myself!  However, this is not a problem with
criteria per se -- it's a problem with the TC.

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).

Fri, 06 Aug 1993 10:00:39 GMT
 What should the Standard include?

:(ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
::
:: Category 10,  Topic 30
:: Message 97        Sat Feb 16, 1991
:: B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 16:23 EST
::
:: From Mitch Bradley:
::
:: : The problem with criteria, either "necessary" or "sufficient",
::  : is that there is no mechanism for either consistently applying
::  : or enforcing them.
::
:: I couldn't have said it better myself!  However, this is not a problem with
:: criteria per se -- it's a problem with the TC.
::
:How can you claim this is a problem with the TC?  "necessary" and "sufficient"
:are ambigious terms.  For example, would you go into an auto
:mechanics shop, hand him (or her) your car and say "do what ever is
:necessary and send me the bill."  I think not (otherwise I want to be
:your auto mechanic :-)

Unfortunately, twice I have had to hand my body to surgeons and
say "do whatever is necessary and send my insurance company the bill" :-(

:When ever any organization is working with ambigious criteria, you
:get inconsistent results.  This is true for contracts,
:standards, agreements, or any situation where group sez "we will do this"
:and does not define "this".

The TC, like any other standards group, represents a multitude of
interests.  As a result ambiguous criteria cannot be avoided and
the resulting standard tends to be the least offensive compromise.

No one likes it, but without a strong defacto standard supported
by an industry giant, we shouldn't anticipate anything "better".

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

Sun, 08 Aug 1993 22:59:47 GMT
 What should the Standard include?

(ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
Quote:

> Category 10,  Topic 30
> Message 97        Sat Feb 16, 1991
> B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 16:23 EST

> From Mitch Bradley:

> > The problem with criteria, either "necessary" or "sufficient",
>  > is that there is no mechanism for either consistently applying
>  > or enforcing them.

> I couldn't have said it better myself!  However, this is not a problem with
> criteria per se -- it's a problem with the TC.

How can you claim this is a problem with the TC?  "necessary" and "sufficient"
are ambigious terms.  For example, would you go into an auto
mechanics shop, hand him (or her) your car and say "do what ever is
necessary and send me the bill."  I think not (otherwise I want to be
your auto mechanic :-)

When ever any organization is working with ambigious criteria, you
get inconsistent results.  This is true for contracts,
standards, agreements, or any situation where group sez "we will do this"
and does not define "this".

--- eric

* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec

        source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956

Sun, 08 Aug 1993 09:47:42 GMT

1. What should the Standard include?

2. What should the Standard include?

3. What should the Standard include?

4. UNNEST (Re: What should the Standard include?)

5. What should the Standard include?

6. What should the Standard include?

7. What should the Standard include?

8. What should the Standard include?