Optimizations
Author Message
 Optimizations

Quote:
> I tend to agree on the readability & don't consider Mitch's 0 ?DO a real
> solution, letting the programmer type what he knows will be 'ignored' by
> the compiler.(see below)

Why is this optimization any different from any other optimization?

If the compiler can generate better code by recognizing a special case,
then why not let it do so?

I have nothing against the concept of FOR .. NEXT ; I would have been
perfectly happy if Forth had started out with FOR .. NEXT instead of
DO .. LOOP .  But it didn't, and the advantages of FOR .. NEXT over
DO .. LOOP are just not great enough to justify all the fuss and effort
of changing it.  I can think of hundreds of issues that are much more
important that whether  FOR  looks better than  0 ?DO .  Don't we have
anything better to do than to change little things like this?

There is one serious problem with FOR .. NEXT nowadays:  I don't know what
it means anymore.  It's original meaning is to execute the loop n+1 times,
but now in Rob's and Frank's systems, it executes n times.

Please, people, if you are going to change the meaning of something, give
it a different name.  There is nothing magic about the name FOR; there are
lots of better names.  Leave FOR to mean what it means in previous systems
(execute n+1 times, brain-damaged as it is), and pick a different name for
the "execute n times" version.  Perhaps TIMES or ?FOR or #DO or whatever.

(There is one less-serious problem too: what is the name of the FOR .. NEXT
loop index?).

Tue, 03 Aug 1993 05:50:09 GMT

1. Smalltalk inlining and optimization (was Re: language constructs hipocrisy)

2. APL runtime optimizations?

3. optimization programs in APL

4. Portfolio Optimization using v. Hohenbalken algorithm in MATLAB

5. Nonlinear function optimization?

6. APL optimization routine

7. Compiler optimizations

8. Bill Koko's APL95 session on Constrained Non;inear optimization

9. Nonlinear restrictive optimization in APL2 ?

10. Nonlinear restrictive optimization in APL2 ?

11. Any BFGS Non-Linear Optimization Functions Out There?

12. newbie optimization question