Beginners Help....
Author Message
 Beginners Help....

Hello,

I have decided to try and learn Forth and I am looking for advice.
I have lurked around this echo before while making my mind up. i.e.
Forth or another language. Visual Basic, C++ etc.

I LIKE Forth. At the moment I have FPC Forth (v3.56) which seems
good but I wonder if there is another Forth compiler etc I should
be using. The FPC v3.56 I have been browsing came from the
FPRIMER.ZIP made in 1992(?) which seems rather a long time ago
now.

One FPC question....

I set up a file [STUART1.SEQ that I wanted to
FLOAD/INCLUDE/OPEN(OK) from STUART2.SEQ when it was
FLOAD(ED)/INCLUDED etc.

Wossamatta????

All the Beast

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginners Help....

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have decided to try and learn Forth and I am looking for advice.
> I have lurked around this echo before while making my mind up. i.e.
> Forth or another language. Visual Basic, C++ etc.

> I LIKE Forth. At the moment I have FPC Forth (v3.56) which seems
> good but I wonder if there is another Forth compiler etc I should
> be using. The FPC v3.56 I have been browsing came from the
> FPRIMER.ZIP made in 1992(?) which seems rather a long time ago
> now.

F-PC is still a perfectly valid starter system for the DOS environment.
If you are using Windows95, or WindowsNT, then you can try Win32Forth.

Unfortunately Win32Forth has very little documentation, and won't really
help you get started very well.  Also, the Windows operating system
adds quite a lot to the complexity of learning how to program, in
Forth or any other language.

There are also other Forths available for DOS, from:

http://taygeta.com/forth.html

Commercial systems are also available from Forth Inc. at;

http://www.forth.com

Quote:
> One FPC question....

> I set up a file [STUART1.SEQ that I wanted to
> FLOAD/INCLUDE/OPEN(OK) from STUART2.SEQ when it was
> FLOAD(ED)/INCLUDED etc.

You can use FLOAD within a file that is already FLOADing, without
any problem. I think you can even do that upto (or downto) about
six nested levels.

So, just put;

FLOAD STUART1.SEQ

Inside the file: STUART2.SEQ, and it will be loaded when tha
appropriate line containing the above mentioned FLOAD is encountered.

Tom Zimmer

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginners Help....

Quote:

>> I have decided to try and learn Forth and I am looking for advice.
>> I LIKE Forth. At the moment I have FPC Forth (v3.56) which seems
>> FPRIMER.ZIP made in 1992(?)

There seem to be some parts missing from the FPRIMER version of FPC.
(e.g. ZIMMER.ZIP, SMITH.ZIP, [DIS]ASSEMBLER(?) etc). Also the is
mention of an additional 3 lessons by Jack Brown. Are these
available somewhere?

Talking about the lessons brings me to...WHICH BOOK?

I have dabbled in various programming languages and would describe
myself as having a reasonably good understanding of computers. I
already have a book 'FORTH' by P.A.C. Kail which is a reasonable
introduction[but don't metion proofreading]. I have printed out the
tutorials with FPC. I am looking for a 'middling to advanced' Forth
book. I have seen the recommended texts but I don't know which
would fall into this category.

All the Best

Stuart

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginners Help....

writes

Quote:

>>> I have decided to try and learn Forth and I am looking for advice.
>>> I LIKE Forth. At the moment I have FPC Forth (v3.56) which seems
>>> FPRIMER.ZIP made in 1992(?)
<snip>
>Talking about the lessons brings me to...WHICH BOOK?

>I have dabbled in various programming languages and would describe
>myself as having a reasonably good understanding of computers. I
>already have a book 'FORTH' by P.A.C. Kail which is a reasonable
>introduction[but don't metion proofreading]. I have printed out the
>tutorials with FPC. I am looking for a 'middling to advanced' Forth
>book. I have seen the recommended texts but I don't know which
>would fall into this category.

Take a look at the FAQ for Books (Part 5/6) which has 12 titles in the
advanced category.  It's posted to the newsgroup on the 2nd of each
month and kept in ftp://forth.org/pub/forth/FAQ/forthfaq.5

Bye for now                                                       _
                                          _______________________| |_____
Chris Jakeman                            / _Forth_Interest_Group_| |____/
                                        / /_  __  ______  _   _  | | __
at Peterborough                        / __/ / / / __  / | | | | | |/ /
(a cathedral city                     / /   / / / /_/ /  | \_| | |   <
 80 miles north of London)           /_/   /_/ /___  /    \____| |_|\_\
Where do you come from?                           / /
                                   ______________/ /     United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 346477          /_______________/          Chapter

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Beginners Help Followup