Forth Logo
Author Message
 Forth Logo

Quote:

>> I know there is not really an "F", let alone
>> Forth in the shapes, but, as I said, I just
>> thought I'd throw-it-against-the-wall-and-
>> see-if-it-sticks...
>You're at least the second person who has proposed a logo for Forth.

You won't understand it unless you understand the concept of a disk block.
;)

You see, what you see in fort in vast majority of the time
is disk blocks with language statement on your screen.
So, when it first comes up,
you better see a good Forth logo.
Else, it is almost a herecy not to see that.

What language you know that you even don't know
what it is when you exectute it?

Yep, you need a good logo!
Real fast now,
cause that munsta has been declared as awaken
a couple of days ago.
The money should be filling in the coffers real soon now.

Quote:
>I guess what I'm missing here is why a language even needs a logo.  I
>can see a particular implementation of Forth possibly having a logo,
>but why does Forth itself need a logo?  What purpose would it serve?
>What other languages have logos associated with them, and what
>benefits have users or vendors of the language had because of it?
>I think Forth needs a whole lot more than a logo.

Nope, it does not.
That is why it is forth.

It already has the most distinctive characteristics.

And it has never intended to become a monster,
like other modern languages.
It has beauty of its own.

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:00:27 GMT
 Forth Logo

Quote:

> >You're at least the second person who has proposed a logo for Forth.

> You won't understand it unless you understand the concept of a disk block.
> ;)

*ouch*

Quote:

> >I think Forth needs a whole lot more than a logo.

anyway, everyone needs logos - atleast as a background that one
can put the usual one-char/two-char prefix on. So if you have
an "T"Forth, just use a T and the common background as an
easy "type-identification" of the programs on disk. I just done
that thing with a background for pfe (not yet published) - and
here it is ;-) ..... http://forth.sf.net/forth-logo.gif
Actually, I took the idea from somewhere else, from a website
you all know, now go and spot the source *bg* .. I like that
momentum of low-level, possibly on-chip, metal-lines cross-connected,
forming itself it a big "4". Hopefully it's not trade-marked yet :}

<killed the cross-post to non-forth newsgroups>
cheers,
-- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:36:00 GMT
 Forth Logo

Quote:

> > >You're at least the second person who has proposed a logo for Forth.

> > You won't understand it unless you understand the concept of a disk block.
> > ;)

> *ouch*

> > >I think Forth needs a whole lot more than a logo.

> anyway, everyone needs logos - atleast as a background that one
> can put the usual one-char/two-char prefix on. So if you have
> an "T"Forth, just use a T and the common background as an
> easy "type-identification" of the programs on disk. I just done
> that thing with a background for pfe (not yet published) - and
> here it is ;-) ..... http://forth.sf.net/forth-logo.gif
> Actually, I took the idea from somewhere else, from a website
> you all know, now go and spot the source *bg* .. I like that
> momentum of low-level, possibly on-chip, metal-lines cross-connected,
> forming itself it a big "4". Hopefully it's not trade-marked yet :}

> <killed the cross-post to non-forth newsgroups>
> cheers,
> -- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut

Forth, Inc. uses it. Presumably, it's trademarked. The markings at the
crossovers may differ. I didn't notice.

Jerry

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:32:32 GMT
 Forth Logo

Quote:

> > > You won't understand it unless you understand the concept of a disk block.
> > > ;)

> > *ouch*

> > anyway, everyone needs logos - atleast as a background that one
> > can put the usual one-char/two-char prefix on. So if you have
> > an "T"Forth, just use a T and the common background as an
> > easy "type-identification" of the programs on disk. I just done
> > that thing with a background for pfe (not yet published) - and
> > here it is ;-) ..... http://forth.sf.net/forth-logo.gif
> > Actually, I took the idea from somewhere else, from a website
> > you all know, now go and spot the source *bg* .. I like that
> > momentum of low-level, possibly on-chip, metal-lines cross-connected,
> > forming itself it a big "4". Hopefully it's not trade-marked yet :}

> > <killed the cross-post to non-forth newsgroups>
> > cheers,
> > -- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut

> Forth, Inc. uses it. Presumably, it's trademarked. The markings at the
> crossovers may differ. I didn't notice.

Our logo is trademarked.  Please don't copy it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth D. Rather   (US & Canada)       800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                                      +1 310-491-3356
5155 W. Rosecrans Ave. #1018  Fax: +1 310-978-9454
Hawthorne, CA 90250
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:07:04 GMT
 Forth Logo

Quote:

> > > forming itself it a big "4". Hopefully it's not trade-marked yet :}

> > > <killed the cross-post to non-forth newsgroups>
> > > cheers,
> > > -- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut

> > Forth, Inc. uses it. Presumably, it's trademarked. The markings at the
> > crossovers may differ. I didn't notice.

I've drawn it myeself, with different crossovers, that's right, but it does
not help when the logo is trademarked, as it is too much a lookalike. It would
not even help to change colors or something, I guess. So...
Quote:

> Our logo is trademarked.  Please don't copy it.

The best logo for forth as a general, and of course used for one
forth alone - well, that was almost but not entirely expectable, and
in fact I would have asked EDR (or someone at forth.inc) before using
it for a real forth-related theming. Thanks for making it explicit,
Elizabeth. Apart from the ways of real life, no need to ask me
for a forth logo again, the best one is taken, so I'll point
everyone to forth.com to ask for a license... :-(
-- guido

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:37:37 GMT

1. Live Forth Logo

2. Proposal FORTH logo

3. Proposal FORTH logo

4. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

6. Looking for a version of LOGO written in FORTH

7. Porting Mind.Forth to LOGO

8. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

9. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

10. Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly

11. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

12. LOGO Design by LOGO-TOGO