Slang 1.8 released
Author Message
 Slang 1.8 released

I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much
simpler and easier to extend vocabulary. The Interpreter is very small
(12K) and the package includes examples and a simple primer.
   More information can be found at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gsh/slang.html. I apologize for the spartaness
of the page, but it is a reflection of the language.

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:

> I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
> Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much
> simpler and easier to extend vocabulary. The Interpreter is very small
> (12K) and the package includes examples and a simple primer.
>    More information can be found at
> http://198.164.159.210/~gsh/slang.html I apologize for the spartaness
> of the page, but it is a reflection of the language.

Hmmmm...

A bare bones Forth kernel can easily be placed in 4K.

 And how much easier to extend is SLANG than:

: new_word

                      old_word  old_word  old_word ;

Please tell us more

Brian Fox

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:
> I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
> Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much
> simpler and easier to extend vocabulary. The Interpreter is very small
> (12K) and the package includes examples and a simple primer.
>    More information can be found at
> http://198.164.159.210/~gsh/slang.html. I apologize for the spartaness

I would like to see it but my browser insists that there is
no data in this page.

Quote:

--

Lars Krueger

"Was ist der Unterschied zwischen Chlorophyll und Chloroform?" --
"Der selbe wie zwischen Pik-As und Aspik."
(Ein grosser Biologe, dessen Name ich vergessen habe.)

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:
> >    More information can be found at
> > http://198.164.159.210/~gsh/slang.html. I apologize for the spartaness
> I would like to see it but my browser insists that there is
> no data in this page.

   Well, in case anyone else has the same problem, for the same
information (and the interpreter), try ftp://198.164.159.210/pub/slang
in the file 'slang.tar.gz'.

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:
> A bare bones Forth kernel can easily be placed in 4K.

   I didn't actually say "smaller", just "very small", the interpreter
is, I admit, rather larger than 4K (12K).

Quote:
>  And how much easier to extend is SLANG than:
> : new_word
>                       old_word  old_word  old_word ;

   Well, as I say, Slang is *based* on Forth, not a direct derivative of
it. It doesn't, for example, include an assembler. Many of the words are
different (. is now putd), and many are provided that don't exist, while
others have fallen off of the map. Slang is, then, rather less low-level
than Forth, and includes more system calls (exec, spawn, etc). Perhaps
it would be better described as a 'scripting language'.
   As far as word replacement and creation, this can't be done from
within the environment. There is now library, so defined words are
stored as simply files (starting with '.slang') that contain slang code.

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

:    As far as word replacement and creation, this can't be done from
: within the environment. There is now library, so defined words are
: stored as simply files (starting with '.slang') that contain slang code.

Sounds like broken forth to me.

{*filter*} Will Never Die!

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:

> I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
> Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much

Bad coice of name. SLANG is also a C-like scripting language and
library, used to implement among other things JED, an emacs-like editor.
I believe you may find more about it on space.mit.edu or so.

How about a rename??

- Josef

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:

>> I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
>> Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much
>Bad coice of name. SLANG is also a C-like scripting language and
>library, used to implement among other things JED, an emacs-like editor.
>I believe you may find more about it on space.mit.edu or so.

It's actually Forth-like, but otherwise, yes.  A great extension language,
and a great editor.

Quote:
>- Josef

-Billy

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:

> >> I am quite proud to announce the release of Slang 1.8. Slang is a
> >> Forth-style Stack LANGuage for Linux (as of now), but with a much

> >Bad coice of name. SLANG is also a C-like scripting language and
> >library, used to implement among other things JED, an emacs-like editor.
> >I believe you may find more about it on space.mit.edu or so.

> It's actually Forth-like, but otherwise, yes.  A great extension language,
> and a great editor.

Well, it was Forth-like before the author re-wrote it.  His documentation
doesn't even cover the Forth-like syntax; just the C-like syntax.

Bummer.

Quote:

--

\ ----------------------------------------------------------------------

\ "There's one in every crowd     | (214) 685-8347   | Department H231
\  and it's usually me."          |                  |
\ ----------------------------------------------------------------------
\ Someday I may speak for Northern Telecom (Nortel).
\ Someday pigs may howl at a full moon.
\ Expect the latter to occur first.
\ ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slang 1.8 released

Quote:

>> It's actually Forth-like, but otherwise, yes.  A great extension language,
>> and a great editor.
>Well, it was Forth-like before the author re-wrote it.  His documentation
>doesn't even cover the Forth-like syntax; just the C-like syntax.

It still is Forth-like, and it hasn't been rewritten.  A new parser has been
added and the documentation was changed to reflect that.  Nonetheless, it
still does cover the primary mode, which is Forthlike.  In fact, your code
will interpret faster if you write it in the base Forthlike language.
Reread the docs, and look at Jed-- most of the stuff is now in the C-like
language, but some of it is Forthlike (I recall compiler.dat).

It just goes to show how flexible the general idea of stack-based notation
really is!

Quote:
>\ Mark A. Flacy

-Billy

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANN: Cross-compile Valentina for REALbasic Professional 1.8 released

2. 1.8 release?

3. How can we get publicity for 1.8 release?

4. ANN: LispMe 1.8 released

5. New Release of XSB (Version 1.8)

6. Tcllib 1.8 released

7. Harbour FAQ revision 1.8 now on-line

8. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (version 1.8, 15-Jan-92)

9. Free PBMake 1.8 (updates/bugfixes from user feedback are included)

10. New ILU 1.8 Common Lisp support available

11. ILU 1.8 now available

12. The Language List Version 1.8 - Part 9 of 9