Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back
Author Message
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back.  With more to come.

Sorry for the delay.  Ingrid Bergman said happiness is good health
and bad memory.

I'm happy.  My health is good but I'm not as quick as I used to be.

I am eagerly looking for feedback.  I prefer comp.lang.forth so I
can get discussion.

Forth is the best language I know for dedicated applications with
restricted resources.

it has been nine years since I worked in Unix, using C, Bourne shell,
and Unix tools.  Writing for _Forth Dimensions_, with few exceptions
I used only Standard Forth.

With MacOs the Tenth.2 for our laptop 512 megabyte memory and 15.2
inch diameter screen, we have returned to Unix.

There is a project we are developing in Standard Forth and also
Objective C.

--

Wil Baden - Costa Mesa, California
Neil Bawd - Goat Hill, Caliphornia

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:31:07 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back
I think, someone has to post the URL
http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/

This has been announced at http://www.forth.org.ru/ on 02.02.2003.
Has anything [on the pages] changed since then?

Quote:

> Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back.  With more to come.

> Sorry for the delay.  Ingrid Bergman said happiness is good health
> and bad memory.

> I'm happy.  My health is good but I'm not as quick as I used to be.

> I am eagerly looking for feedback.  I prefer comp.lang.forth so I
> can get discussion.

> Forth is the best language I know for dedicated applications with
> restricted resources.

> it has been nine years since I worked in Unix, using C, Bourne shell,
> and Unix tools.  Writing for _Forth Dimensions_, with few exceptions
> I used only Standard Forth.

> With MacOs the Tenth.2 for our laptop 512 megabyte memory and 15.2
> inch diameter screen, we have returned to Unix.

> There is a project we are developing in Standard Forth and also
> Objective C.

> --

> Wil Baden - Costa Mesa, California
> Neil Bawd - Goat Hill, Caliphornia

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:55:17 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back
"Vocabulary for Dataspace Output"
point to http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/dfc2002.txt
which really is "DFC Differential File Comparison 2002".

> I am eagerly looking for feedback.

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:59:21 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back
http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/tool2002.txt

Quote:
> : Is-White                        ( char -- flag )
>     33 - 0< ;

: Is-White ( char -- flag ) 33 U< ;

There have been a discussion whether chars must be signed or unsigned,
and most c.l.f participants agreed that chars must be unsigned.

Nevertheless, the cited definition will not work on
a) still standard systems with signed chars
b) unstandard but I believe not less numerous :-) 8-bit systems

--
writing standard code is as stupid as avoiding any phrases that need context

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:18:02 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

FROM: Michael Gassanenko

Quote:
> I think, someone has to post the URL

Thank you.  I realized this immediately after posting.

Quote:
> This has been announced at http://www.forth.org.ru/ on 02.02.2003.

Good work. How did you find that out?

Quote:
> Has anything [on the pages] changed since then?

Yes.

   alphlist         dsoutput         quiksort         standard
   arcfour          gimp2001         ranarray         tool2002
   banner           graycode         showup           toolglos
   charcase         lzss             slurp            typerr.html
   charmac          mt19937          solitair         ultque
   charscan         number           spdist           wordspmf
   common           pall.html        speceng
   dfc2002          porter           spwgif

Some of these are just formatting changes from 2000.  The usual format
is now text source files, as that is how the files are to be used.

In three years I received no feedback about "source to html", so I have
dropped it.

I have also dropped stuff about line filters, because so few people
(Hi Doug.)
on comp.lang.forth appreciate it.

-------------------------------

Quote:
> "Vocabulary for Dataspace Output"
> point to http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/dfc2002.txt
> which really is "DFC Differential File Comparison 2002".

Thanks again.  Fixed.

-------------------------------

Quote:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/tool2002.txt
> > : Is-White                        ( char -- flag )
> >     33 - 0< ;
> : Is-White ( char -- flag ) 33 U< ;
> There have been a discussion whether chars must be signed or unsigned,
> and most c.l.f participants agreed that chars must be unsigned.
> Nevertheless, the cited definition will not work on
> a) still standard systems with signed chars
> b) unstandard but I believe not less numerous :-) 8-bit systems

Good point. I shall present these definitions as alternatives.

My preference for "33 - 0<" is optimization in my normal environment.

In Power MacForth the following definition is In-lined.

    : Is-White  33 - 0< ; SEE Is-White
        addi      r13/TOS, r13/TOS, -33
        srawi     r13/TOS, r13/TOS, 31
        blr

But the following is a subroutine.

    : Is-White  33 U< ; SEE Is-White
        mfspr     r11/X, LR
        stwu      r11/X, $-4(r15/RSP)
        stwu      r13/TOS, $-4(r14/DSP)
        addi      r13/TOS, 0, 33
        bl        $66BBD0     U<
        lwz       r11/X, (r15/RSP)
        mtspr     LR, r11/X
        addi      r15/RSP, r15/RSP, 4
        blr

Quote:
> --
> writing standard code is as stupid as avoiding any phrases that need context

You are wrong and right.

"writing standard code" is not stupid.
"avoiding any phrases that need context" is stupid.

--

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:57:57 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

 > [...]

Quote:

> In three years I received no feedback about "source to html", so I have
> dropped it.

> I have also dropped stuff about line filters, because so few people
> (Hi Doug.)
> on comp.lang.forth appreciate it.

I, for one, would like to see these put back in.

-- David

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:02:44 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back
.
.
.

Quote:
> I am eagerly looking for feedback.  I prefer comp.lang.forth so I
> can get discussion.

> Forth is the best language I know for dedicated applications with
> restricted resources.

Well, with that collection of utilities you're building up, maybe you'll be
interested in antiword. It's a utility to read Microsoft Word format files I
just came across at http://antiword.cjb.net/ - while written in C, it looks
as though it could be re-implemented in quite a range of things. I
immediately thought of Perl and Forth. I find it useful on my home
system, a very old one using DOS and Windows 3.1 which I will stay with while
I can get bridging functionality at work until I get enough time to go Linux.
PML.

--
GST+NPT=JOBS

I.e., a Goods and Services Tax (or almost any other broad based production
tax), with a Negative Payroll Tax, promotes employment.

See http://users.netlink.com.au/~peterl/publicns.html#AFRLET2 and the other
items on that page for some reasons why.

Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:26:29 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> I am eagerly looking for feedback.

- link to item# 29 is wrong
- item# 52 itself appears to be anomalous

it's good to see the 'ugly home page' back again

Ed

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:06:52 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back.  With more to come.

Yay!  I like the variety of material and the personal style.

Quote:
> I am eagerly looking for feedback.  I prefer comp.lang.forth so I
> can get discussion.

I vote for putting back the things you took out.  Even if almost no one
reacts to them, someone still might.  (Like me, when I have time.)

Do you have any files related to your flow-diagram notation?  I came across
the notation in _Dr. Dobbs' Toolbook of FORTH_ (volume 2) and use it
whenever I draw flow diagrams.  It elegantly shows what it should and
doesn't show what it shouldn't.

Also note

http://www.cs.may.ie/~jpower/Courses/se209/forth/aboutfor/stackflo.htm

which uses your notation for control flow, a similar-in-spirit one
for data flow, and even has three-dimensional charts combining both notations.

Thanks,

-- Derek

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:17:45 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> Neil Bawd's ugly home page ...

Should be called:  Neil Bawd's Parochial and Plain Sermons 1960-2003

http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:03:54 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> Should be called:  Neil Bawd's Parochial and Plain Sermons 1960-2003

Please explain, Leo.

Is this a literary reference or is "parochial" a dictionary definition:
"only interested in the things that affect you and your local area"?

--
Wil

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:28:25 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> > Should be called:  Neil Bawd's Parochial and Plain Sermons 1960-2003

> Please explain, Leo.

> Is this a literary reference or is "parochial" a dictionary definition:
> "only interested in the things that affect you and your local area"?

The reference is of course to John Henry Newman, though you are well behind
him in volume.  Parochial in the sense of parish, contrasted with "profane":
"things
outside of the Temple (of Forth)".

Much love,

http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:05:32 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> The reference is of course to John Henry Newman, though you are well behind
> him in volume.  Parochial in the sense of parish, contrasted with "profane":
> "things
> outside of the Temple (of Forth)".

Well, I haven't thought of Cardinal Newman in over 50 years. Thanks for
everything.

I am embarassed to have been caught by my own joke on "profane".

--
HJP, Wil

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:13:25 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back.  With more to come.

Thanks to: Ken Clark, Michael Gassanenko, Peter Lawrence,
Derek Peschel, Ed S, Jeff Sickel, Lars Van Jeurissen, David
Williams, Leo Wong, for advice and support.

Jeff Sickel asked about Forth and Objective-C:

  What project in particular are you using to merge those two
  languages.  That said, what FORTH do you recommend using on
  Mac OS X?

it is one project, PHILLIPS CODE, to be in each language.

The Forth I use is Power MacForth.  My Forth code should work
with any Forth.  Objective-C is Cocoa.

Lars Van Jeurissen asked:

  Hi Neil,

  I found a lot of fine sources on your site, which I want to
  save. Is it possible for you to create an archive file
  (arc,rar,zip,tar,tgz,...) from all the sources from your
  site. Now you have to?download all the files separately.

  Anyway, thanks for sharing all those nice sources.

Many people have asked for this, and "I'm working on it".

David Williams and Derek Peschel want the omitted old stuff
put back.

Let me finish PHILLIPS CODE first.

Michael Gassanenko suggested an alternative definition for
`Is-White` for systems with negative characters.

Done.

Michael Gassanenko and Ed reported some corrupt links.

Fixed.

Derek Peshel asked:

  Do you have any files related to your flow-diagram
  notation?  I came across the notation in _Dr. Dobbs'
  Toolbook of FORTH_ (volume 2) and use it whenever I draw
  flow diagrams.  It elegantly shows what it should and
  doesn't show what it shouldn't.

I hope to resurrect them.

  Should be called:  Neil Bawd's Parochial and Plain Sermons
  1960-2003

As a cradle Episcopalian it has been over 50 years since I
have thought of the renegade Cardinal Newman.

--
Wil Baden - Costa Mesa, California
Neil Bawd - Goat Hill, Caliphornia

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:27:40 GMT
 Neil Bawd's ugly home page is back

Quote:

> My Forth code should work with any Forth.

:-)

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:51:07 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Neil Bawd's Ugly Home Page 2002

2. Neil Bawd Home Page Supplement

3. Announcing Neil Bawd & Wil Baden home page

4. DFC in Neil Bawd's Home

5. What is happening with Neil Bawd's Ugly Home Page?

6. what happened to Neil Bawd's Ugly Home Page?

7. Neil Bawd web page - OPG

8. Neil Bawd web page

9. Neil Bawd/Wil Baden Hospitalized 12-Apr-2001

10. Neil Bawd's "back" implementation..

11. Emacs VHDL Mode home page is back

12. Vern Six's Home Page - Massive Updates