Legal status of 8051 hForth? 
Author Message
 Legal status of 8051 hForth?

Hi All,

I've found the very interesting hForth for 8051 and compatibles
on http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Unfortunately the whole site is in Korean(?), and I don't know anything
about the legal status of that implementation.
I'd like to use it (slightly modified) for preparing firmware for a
commercial design (maybe open source, maybe not).

Does anybody know what are the licensing conditions? The source is
provided in the zip-file and there is no copyright neither restristrictions
listed. (Well there is "readme.txt" file, but it is in Korean as well)
Is that enough to assume that it is public domain?

--
                        TIA & Regards,
                        Wojciech M. Zabolotny



Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:10:36 GMT  
 Legal status of 8051 hForth?
you'd better get someone to read the readme doc for you.  It may or may not be
licensed... but worse it could be ripped off from someone else.

David

Quote:

> Hi All,

> I've found the very interesting hForth for 8051 and compatibles
> on http://www.stacktech.co.kr/KFP/hForth/package.html
> http://www.stacktech.co.kr/download/KFP/hForth/hf8051.zip

> Unfortunately the whole site is in Korean(?), and I don't know anything
> about the legal status of that implementation.
> I'd like to use it (slightly modified) for preparing firmware for a
> commercial design (maybe open source, maybe not).

> Does anybody know what are the licensing conditions? The source is
> provided in the zip-file and there is no copyright neither restristrictions
> listed. (Well there is "readme.txt" file, but it is in Korean as well)
> Is that enough to assume that it is public domain?

> --
>                         TIA & Regards,
>                         Wojciech M. Zabolotny




Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:24:27 GMT  
 Legal status of 8051 hForth?
On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:10:36 +0200, Wojciech Zabolotny

[...re: hForth...]

Quote:

>Does anybody know what are the licensing conditions? The source is
>provided in the zip-file and there is no copyright neither restristrictions
>listed. (Well there is "readme.txt" file, but it is in Korean as well)
>Is that enough to assume that it is public domain?

I was going to send you to www.forth.org, but it doesn't seem to be
responding right now.  Neither is www.taygeta.com.  I'm sure they have
info.  In fact, Google has a cached page here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:ovOj2Er5Z58:www.taygeta.com/hfor...

I didn't see mention of license there, but it may give you some leads.
Google also lists other variants (Hforth for EPOC, hForth for Z80)
that mention GPL.

You could ask on comp.lang.forth.  I'm sure there are a few people
there familiar with hForth.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.



Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:07:45 GMT  
 Legal status of 8051 hForth?
Quote:

> you'd better get someone to read the readme doc for you.  It may or may not be
> licensed... but worse it could be ripped off from someone else.

> David


> > Hi All,

> > I've found the very interesting hForth for 8051 and compatibles
> > on http://www.stacktech.co.kr/KFP/hForth/package.html
> > http://www.stacktech.co.kr/download/KFP/hForth/hf8051.zip

> > Unfortunately the whole site is in Korean(?), and I don't know anything
> > about the legal status of that implementation.
> > I'd like to use it (slightly modified) for preparing firmware for a
> > commercial design (maybe open source, maybe not).

> > Does anybody know what are the licensing conditions? The source is
> > provided in the zip-file and there is no copyright neither restristrictions
> > listed. (Well there is "readme.txt" file, but it is in Korean as well)
> > Is that enough to assume that it is public domain?

> > --
> >                         TIA & Regards,
> >                         Wojciech M. Zabolotny


-----------------------------------------

I downloaded the 8086 and Z80 versions of hForth, and here's what I
read. It says in the Z80 package on that page:
--
"Jun. 5, 1997
Z80 hForth v0.9.9 RAM model is newly ported from 8086 hForth v0.9.9
RAM model. Following the great Forth tradition hForth is free
software. You can use it for whatever purpose commercial or
non-commercial. Please spread it as widely as you can.

hForth is based on eForth model published by Mr. Bill Muench and Dr.
C. H. Ting in 1990. The key features of the original eForth model is
preserved. Following is quoted from the original 8086 eForth source."
--

It says the same thing for the 8086 version, and the 8051 version
probably says the same thing in Korean, as it follows the same pattern.

Here is the english version of the FAQ by the author:

http://www.taygeta.com/hforth.html

-Steve
--

-Electronics Site!! 1000 Files/50 Dirs!! http://www.armory.com/~rstevew
Europe Naples, Italy: ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/electronics/ftp.armory.com



Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:24:42 GMT  
 Legal status of 8051 hForth?
Quote:

> I downloaded the 8086 and Z80 versions of hForth, and here's what I
> read. It says in the Z80 package on that page:
> --
> "Jun. 5, 1997
> Z80 hForth v0.9.9 RAM model is newly ported from 8086 hForth v0.9.9
> RAM model. Following the great Forth tradition hForth is free
> software. You can use it for whatever purpose commercial or
> non-commercial. Please spread it as widely as you can.

> hForth is based on eForth model published by Mr. Bill Muench and Dr.
> C. H. Ting in 1990. The key features of the original eForth model is
> preserved. Following is quoted from the original 8086 eForth source."
> --

> It says the same thing for the 8086 version, and the 8051 version
> probably says the same thing in Korean, as it follows the same pattern.

> Here is the english version of the FAQ by the author:

> http://www.taygeta.com/hforth.html

I'd really appreciate that interpretation. Unfortunately I've inspected
the sources more thoroughly, and that's what I've found in ONE ONLY of the
versions provided in hf8051.zip.
File HF51VN09.ASM contains:
 "hForth 8051 Von-Neuman Model v0.9.9 by Stack Technology,1998"
 "This is based 8086 hForth by Wonyong Koh."
 "All rights about ONLY 8051 DEPENDANT PART are reserved  by"
 "Stack Technology, Inc. You can do anything EXCEPT make money from it"
 "Commercial inquiries and other questions should be directed to"

 [...]
 .db   "Stack Technology, Inc. You can do anything EXCEPT make money from it"

So probably using this particular file for commercial application is
prohibited

Other files: Hf51ha09.asm, Hf52ha09.asm and Hf52vn09.asm do not contain
such restrictions (Only:
 "All rights about ONLY 8051 DEPENDANT PART are reserved by"
 "Stack Technology, Inc.")

Anyway the legal status of this particular hForth implemanation is
unclear (what a pity that the origina hForth implementation wasn't
GPL'ed ;-) ).
--
                        Thanks & Regards
                        Wojciech Zabolotny



Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:46:32 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 8051 hForth became public domain software

2. Redistribution legal status

3. what is legal status of icons from tclpro?

4. Legal Status of TCL

5. I need help in intel 8051

6. looking for a basic compiler for an 8051 uP

7. Payne's 8051 Forth system

8. 8051 disassembler update

9. 8051 disassembler

10. 8051 family Forths and Ethernet drivers

11. Which 8051 to choose ???????

12. 8051 code generation

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software