TpForth 3.2 announcement
Author Message
 TpForth 3.2 announcement

Dear Sirs:

We are proud to introduce you to TpForth 3.2. This version is major step in
the TpForth development and adds many new powerful features to the product.
TpForth 3.2 is available for FREE download at www.technopoint.net/tpforth.

TpForth 3.2 introduces the multi-language support (MLS) and the native code
generation (NCG) systems.

MLS provides:

a simple way to support high-level languages built on the top of the Forth
language

a simple way to support syntax/semantic rules for viewing and editing the
supported languages

the support for both the "function call" and the "variable/argument data
exchange" among the supported languages

the support for implementing the "interactive debugging", using the standard
TDS Views, for every supported high-level language

MLS has been designed mainly to allow users not acquainted with Forth to use
the TpForth system. However, as it provides the support for many other
languages built over Forth, we believe it also simplifies the program
development, allowing users to chose the language that best fit their
applications.

NCG provides:

a simple way for adding rules to be used translating the Forth byte code in
machine code

a simple kernel generation (boot, interrupts, multitasking, memory
management)

a target platform simulator with adjustable architectural description

NCG has been designed to accelerate the Forth program execution on target.
At this time, NCG does not provide the interactive debugging for the
generated machine code. Anyway, the target platform simulator allows the
debugging on PC.

Hereafter a brief summary of some other TpForth 3.2 features:

Advanced Forth forms. They have been implemented to make the Forth language
strong enough to emulate other high-level languages in a simple and fast
way.

JavaScript compiler. It has been developed and integrated in TpForth using
MLS. It currently covers about the 80% of the JavaScript standard. It
supports also some TpForth-specific classes like Task, Timer, Debug, etc.

SCPU code generation. It has been integrated to TpForth using NCG. It
includes the SCPU simulator that can be used to debug the SPCU code on PC.
SCPU is stack-based CPU manufactured by Technopoint.

Native kernel TRE. This is a new TpForth Real Engine designed to run over a
RTOS. It enables the execution of the Forth tasks as native kernel threads.
This model is more difficult to porting than the standard TRE model (RT
kernel built-in). However, it uses underlying RTOS in a more efficient way.

Fast TRE. This is a new TpForth Real Engine designed to accelerate the Forth
program execution from 3 to 5 times. It omits the error checking and cannot
be used for interactive debugging.

Advanced program handling. It enables TDS to directly download a Forth
program to the target. This makes the program handling simpler, intuitive
and more effective.

TCP protocol for interactive debug. TDS and TRE are now enabled to support
the debug of a Forth program over a TCP channel.

Extended mail-slot RAM protocol. Mail-slot protocol for interactive debug is
now extended to work on local network.

Advanced editing. A set of features that make the multi-language editing
easier. Among them: just-in-time auto-indentation, undo/redo action lists,
syntax coloring of local variables and automatic suggestion of the available
methods of a given object.

Quick Watch. This allows viewing the variable contents without adding it to
the variable list.

TpForth library. It has been extended with trigonometric, logarithm, file
system and TCP/IP networking functions for both Forth and JavaScript.

TpForth examples. Many new examples have been developed. We just stress two
of them -Bingo (a logical game) and Labyrinth Race (an arcade game).

At the end, let us remind you that the TpForth project is always "in
progress" and we are looking for people who want to join us. There is room
for many different possibilities to cooperate. Several topics are
available - just take a look at the WEB pages.

Feel free to contact us for any question and consider we are open to any
form of cooperation. We are looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

TpForth team

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:58:29 GMT
 TpForth 3.2 announcement
Is there a mirror for this site as the following the enclosed URL
generates:

www.technopoint.net Temporarily Unavailable
This account has surpassed its bandwidth allocation at the present time.

Quote:
> Dear Sirs:

> We are proud to introduce you to TpForth 3.2. This version is major step in
> the TpForth development and adds many new powerful features to the product.
> TpForth 3.2 is available for FREE download at www.technopoint.net/tpforth.

> a target platform simulator with adjustable architectural description

> NCG has been designed to accelerate the Forth program execution on target.
> At this time, NCG does not provide the interactive debugging for the
> generated machine code. Anyway, the target platform simulator allows the
> debugging on PC.

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:52:08 GMT
 TpForth 3.2 announcement

Quote:

> Dear Sirs:

> We are proud to introduce you to TpForth 3.2. This version is major step in
> the TpForth development and adds many new powerful features to the product.
> TpForth 3.2 is available for FREE download at www.technopoint.net/tpforth.

Is it just me, or does the name "TpForth" have poor connotations? (i.e.,
in America, "tp" is often used to mean "toilet paper")

It's better than "BmForth" would be, though... ("bm" -> "bowel
movement")

Though I do remember seeing a thick book, "Java: Principles of
Object-Orient Programming" a few months ago, which was abbreviated on
the book's spine to "JAVA POOP" -- which pretty much sums up my opinion
of Java, anyway. ;)

Larry

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:08:54 GMT

1. TpForth 3.2 update 1 has been released

2. TpForth 3.1 announcement

3. Announcement: TpForth 3.0 released!

4. Announcement: TpForth 2.6 in now available

5. Announcement: TpForth project

6. Annoucement - Bistro 3.2 Available

7. J 3.2 - Early vs. Late Verb Bindings

8. j-interaction-mode for gnu emacs (works with J 3.2)

9. adverb definition via : in J 3.2

10. J, Version 3.2 for Mac

11. J changes with 3.2

12. J, Version 3.2