Palmtops and Forth
Author Message
 Palmtops and Forth

   Any recomendations on what plamtops have been used with forth and
are able to communicate at 38.4K over the serial port.  Want to control
a machine that uses 38.4k baud.
    Thanks
      Carl

Carl Wall  VE3APY  - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

---
 t RoseReader 2.52 P003562 Entered at [WESTONIA]

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Palmtops and Forth

:    Any recomendations on what plamtops have been used with forth and
: are able to communicate at 38.4K over the serial port.  Want to control
: a machine that uses 38.4k baud.
:     Thanks
:       Carl

: Carl Wall  VE3APY  - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

: ---
:  t RoseReader 2.52 P003562 Entered at [WESTONIA]

The HP100LX/HP200LX/HP1000CX will all do this.  HP100LX (the one I have)
is obsolete. The HP200LX includes PDA/organizer capabilites and the
HP1000CX is a pure DOS machine suitable for OEM applications.  All are
7.91 Mhz 80186 CPUs with 1 - 6 MBytes of RAM.  The RAM is partitioned
into DOS memory (up to 640K) and RAM disk (the rest).  All have an
infrared port, a PCMCIA type II slot and a serial port capable of
communicating at up to 115200 bits per second.

Forths?  Any 16-bit DOS Forth will run in these machines.  I currently
use Wonyong Koh's hForth, but F-PC will run if you have the disk space
(3.5 MBytes).  Another good one is Frank Sergeant's "Pygmy".  For the
ultimate in speed, Tom Almy's ForthCMP target compiler compiles Forth
directly to machine code.

If this is for a ham application, I'd recommend the HP200LX, since the
PDA application includes the ability to have the machine wake up and do
things, like execute your Forth comm code, at any conceivable scheduled
times.  If this is for a commercial/OEM project, where cost is important
and you're going to write a lot of software, go with the 1000CX because
it's cheaper.
--

Yesterday, I walked by a BMW.  I saw scratches on the bumper, and I stooped
down for a closer look.  It was engraving: "My Other Car is a '73 Pinto!"

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Palmtops and Forth

Quote:

> Any recomendations on what plamtops have been used
> with forth and are able to communicate at 38.4K over the
> serial port.

     If money is an important consideration, it is possible that the HP-71

know the memory is greatly expandable.  As to the communication speed, if
this has a chance of meeting your needs, let me know and I will do some
research for you.
                   Joel In Ogden

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Palmtops and Forth

Quote:

>> Any recomendations on what plamtops have been used
>> with forth and are able to communicate at 38.4K over the
>> serial port.

>     If money is an important consideration, it is possible that the HP-71

AFAIK, HP hasn't built any HP-71s in a long time.

Roger Ivie

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Palmtops and Forth

Quote:
> AFAIK, HP hasn't built any HP-71s in a long time.

They are still available, if you know where to get them.  I did a little
while ago.

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. About Palmtops and forth

2. Palmtops and Forth

3. Forth for Win CE Palmtops?

4. Palmtops in one hand and forth another hand

5. Forth on HP Palmtop

6. UTIL FORTH on a Palmtop PC

7. want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)

8. FORTH-83 for the HP95LX palmtop.

9. APL on the HP-100LX palmtop

10. APL2 on HP100LX Palmtop

11. J on Palmtops

12. Problem transfering clarion files from palmtop to windows