Borlands FORTH IDE System
Author Message
 Borlands FORTH IDE System

What if Borland had done a FORTH compiler system?

IDE Environment
ANSI FORTH Standard
Library
-- Graphics
-- Floating Point
-- -- 80x87
-- -- Emulation
-- BCD Math
-- Windowing (text)
-- Sound (SoundBlaster/Adlib)
-- Database
-- Multitasker
-- Serial I/O
-- Parallel I/O
-- Windows API
-- DesqView API

The IDE allows for opening and editing multiple source files.

The output window, when it becomes the focus, could also be set to be
used as a fully functional terminal into the system, so the user has
full interactive capability with the nuts and bolts of the FORTH
system dugin the programming/debug cycles.  Function keys facilitate
toggling between full screen mode and back to the windowed IDE format.

Final compilation mdoes allow the programmer to create stand-alone
executables (.COM/.EXE) that are not interactive at the nuts and bolts
level as, ideally, they are stripped-down machine code-only versions
of the various dictionary words and UDFs.

Tom Zimmers' TCOM compiler is the only thing currently approaching
this concept (that I am aware of).

Let the flames begin

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:47:54 GMT
 Borlands FORTH IDE System

Quote:
> Let the flames begin

Where were you 10 years ago (and what have you been doing meanwhile) :-)

-marcel

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:08:31 GMT
 Borlands FORTH IDE System

Quote:

> What if Borland had done a FORTH compiler system?

var

Borland : charatcer;
FORTH : integer;

begin
Borland := BCompany
FORTH := 0;

IF BCompany = FORTH
THEN writeln'( Borland would own the code base. )
ELSE writln' (FORTH programmers own their own code bases. )

end;

Quote:

> Tom Zimmers' TCOM compiler is the only thing currently approaching
> this concept (that I am aware of).

However, from my understanding, Delphi was used to write the CBuilder
and JBuilders so that using Delphi to design an IDE would be more
apprporiate.
This is a practical use of Delphi as a RAD IDE.

Plus, with the Kylix, if one is Linux based, one could use the Kylix
RAD  IDE
for FORTH programming.

I think a FORTH JVCL would be a good project to design a Visual
Component Library to use in Delphi that would Include Forth.

> Let the flames begin

geakazoid

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 04:36:29 GMT
 Borlands FORTH IDE System

Quote:

>What if Borland had done a FORTH compiler system?

>IDE Environment
>ANSI FORTH Standard
>Library
>-- Graphics
>-- Floating Point
>-- -- 80x87
>-- -- Emulation
>-- BCD Math
>-- Windowing (text)
>-- Sound (SoundBlaster/Adlib)
>-- Database
>-- Multitasker
>-- Serial I/O
>-- Parallel I/O
>-- Windows API
>-- DesqView API

>The IDE allows for opening and editing multiple source files.

>The output window, when it becomes the focus, could also be set to be
>used as a fully functional terminal into the system, so the user has
>full interactive capability with the nuts and bolts of the FORTH
>system dugin the programming/debug cycles.  Function keys facilitate
>toggling between full screen mode and back to the windowed IDE format.

The very primitive ciforth (a kind of ISO fig-Forth) behaves like
this if installed on a Linux GNU X system with KDE.
The editors to be used have nothing to do with Forth, you
can use any editor you like, even Emacs.

Quote:
>Final compilation mdoes allow the programmer to create stand-alone
>executables (.COM/.EXE) that are not interactive at the nuts and bolts
>level as, ideally, they are stripped-down machine code-only versions
>of the various dictionary words and UDFs.

You are missing something here. You don't want to have all the
tryouts and debug in your standalone executable.
( Real programming systems don't use extensions for executable
commands. It is like extending each Forth word that is executable
by _EXECUTABLE as in DROP_EXECUTABLE FIND_EXECUTABLE. EXE/COM is
an MS abomination.)
So make that "final compilation is done by dropping the source file
icon on the compile icon" to be even slightly original.
If you want that, you can do that with any compiling Forth.
(Just ask KDE to hide a command in the compile icon. For the above
system that would be "lina -c %s" or some such.)

Quote:
>Tom Zimmers' TCOM compiler is the only thing currently approaching
>this concept (that I am aware of).

You better look around.
I especially advise you to install a Linux and play with it.
(But most of what you want is possible in MW windows 3.1.)

Groetjes Albert
To suffer is the prerogative of the strong. The weak -- perish.

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:24:12 GMT

1. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Forth Systems (4 of 7)

2. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Forth Systems (4 of 7)

3. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Forth Systems (4 of 6)

4. comp.lang.forth FAQ: Forth Systems (4 of 7)

5. Forth Programming Language FAQ: Part 4 of 6, Forth Systems

6. Forth Programming Language FAQ: Part 4 of 6, Forth Systems

7. Forth Programming Language FAQ: Part 4 of 6, Forth Systems

8. a conference - Forth, Open Systems, Embedded Systems, Java, ...

9. GNAT programming System IDE

10. A Forth IDE (crossposted)

11. Forth IDE

12. Q: State of Forth IDE's?