Forth for parallel computers?
Author Message
 Forth for parallel computers?

Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

: Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
: has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

Try browsing around http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel. There
is a Forth (of quality unknown to me) for the Inmos transputer
there.

D.V.

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:

> : Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
> : has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

> Try browsing around http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel. There
> is a Forth (of quality unknown to me) for the Inmos transputer
> there.

> D.V.

John Dorband at NASA Goddard did a Forth for the MPP in the early 80's.
He gave a talk about it around 86 or so a the Rochester Forth Conference.
I can't find more details of a reference to that but if you really need
it, I'll dig some more.

Marty Fraeman
JHU/APL
Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, Md 20723
voice:  (301) 953-6000, x8360
fax:  (301) 953-1093

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:

> > : Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
> > : has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

> > Try browsing around http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel. There
> > is a Forth (of quality unknown to me) for the Inmos transputer
> > there.

> > D.V.
> John Dorband at NASA Goddard did a Forth for the MPP in the early 80's.
> He gave a talk about it around 86 or so a the Rochester Forth Conference.
> I can't find more details of a reference to that but if you really need
> it, I'll dig some more.

I believe the NASA Massively Parallel ?  (I forgot the last word
of their title <g>) was programmed in Forth. Also the Cellular
Automaton Machines at MIT were controlled/synchronized by a cpu
running Forth. See the back Rochester Conference Proceedings for
more info.

--
Julian V. Noble

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:

> Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
> has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

Depends.  SIMD or MIMD?  I did a Forth for a 68000 multiprocessor some
years back; it was written up in Forth Dimensions.  Currently I'm
debugging a 6809 multiprocessor so I can continue the research (I no
longer work for the outfit with the 68000s).  There was another article
in FD about multiprocessing as well.

I've heard occasional rumors about Forth being used for SIMD processors,
but I've yet to see anything in print.

--

This brain for rent! See http://www.forth.org/fig/homes/brodriguez.html
Contributing Editor, The Computer Journal... http://www.psyber.com/~tcj

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Edgar Lynk writes Re: Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:
> Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
> has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

We do an ANS one for the T800 transputer, so question #1: yes.

Question #2: we gave a talk on tForth at EuroForth '92, in
Southampton (see my homepage, http://www.IAEhv.nl/users/mhx,
for an HTML-ed, expanded, version).

Check JFAR, Volume 5, Number 1, 1987, p27. A paper from John E.
Dorband concerning MASPAR.

-marcel

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

: Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
: has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

There was indeed a Forth for the Goodyear Massively Parallel Processor
at Goddard.  As I recall, the main programming language for this machine
was Pascal, though.  The MPP was a large SIMD (2-d array) machine
designed for image processing.  It was controlled by a VAX-11/780 if
my memory is correct.

On a more modern note, Jeff Fox has some papers on MIMD parallel Forth
on his web site.  Look for "F*F"; it's a Forth implementation of Linda.
The F21 chip is supposed to support this kind of parallelism through the
network co-processors.  Try

   http://www.dnai.com/~jfox/html.html
--

There are three kinds of people: those who are good with mathematics and those
who aren't.

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:
>> > Try browsing around http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel. There
>> > is a Forth (of quality unknown to me) for the Inmos transputer
>> > there.

Did you look for it? I did and couldn't find it.

Howard Shapiro

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

: >> > Try browsing around http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel. There
: >> > is a Forth (of quality unknown to me) for the Inmos transputer
: >> > there.

: Did you look for it? I did and couldn't find it.

: Howard Shapiro

Apparently they restrict access between 8A and 8P (??T).  I had
no trouble accessing ~11P EDT.  The Transputer Forth (16-bit, 32-bit
incl. source) is contained in

http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel/vendors/inmos/archive-server/forth/in...

Thanks all for the very helpful information.  I love this place.

Ed.

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:

>Did you look for it? I did and couldn't find it.

You obviously weren't looking very hard. The page has two columns.
The left column starts off Education, Theory & Research...
Next one down is Environments, Systems and Packages ... Languages

Languages?

LANGUAGES???? Could that possibly be what we are looking for? That
              wouldn't happen to include FORTH, would it? No-one
              would ever think of looking there!

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

I wrote Re: Forth for parallel computers?

Quote:
> Question #2: we gave a talk on tForth at EuroForth '92, in
> Southampton (see my homepage, http://www.IAEhv.nl/users/mhx,
> for an HTML-ed, expanded, version).

I was mistaken, the tForth text on my WWW page *was* not the article
I mentioned, but just a spec sheet. The article is in my FTP directory,
file tforth.txt.

*WAS* because I converted the file to HTML today. You can access it by
clicking "Go Forth | tForth | EuroForth '92".

-marcel
http://www.IAEhv.nl/pub/users/mhx/index.html

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

          (Edgar Lynk) writes:

Quote:
>Anyone know if Forth for parallel multi-processors
>has been implemented or discussed in the literature?

As has been pointed out by others there are several references at
my web site http://www.dnai.com/~jfox about various approaches to
parallelizing forth compilers.  Dr. Michael Montvelishsky is about to
post a new version of his Parallel Channels there with a number of
updated features.  He combined the best part of my Forth Linda
with Occam syntax to produce his Parallel Channels.  The syntax can
be used for parallelism on a single processor using multitasking, or
can be extended for use on a multiprocessing system.  He published an
article in Forth Dimensions and a copy in html is at my web site, but
as a say a new improved version is about to be posted.  We will also
be releasing F*F which will be an optimized version of a parallelizing
Forth with even a simpler syntax.  My Assilomar paper "F21 and F*F" is
also at the web site.  Also you will find a paper entitiled "Distributed
Shared Memory in Forth" which also appear in Forth Dimmensions.
Later plans include automatically parallelizing standard Forth, but
F*F is meant to be clear but not transparent.
Jeff Fox

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth for parallel computers?

Mea culpa; I looked under Compilers and really didn't notice the
Languages heading.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Something else for a change / Parallel Computer for APL - in case you didn't know

2. Workshop on Compilation of (Symbolic) Languages for Parallel Computers

3. Ada Compilers for Parallel Computers

4. COBOL compilers for parallel computers?

5. need information for Monte Carlo algorithm for parallel computers

6. PROLOG on Parallel Computers, T-3D or CM-5

7. Parallel computer access?

8. Workshop on Compilation of (Symbolic) Languages for Parallel Computers

9. Parallel Forth

10. Parallel Forth

11. Q: Parallel forth machine

12. Parallel Forth?