New Book: _Forth: the New Model_
Author Message
 New Book: _Forth: the New Model_

        For all of you who are in the halibut of waiting with baited
breath for new Forth books, especially Forth books by jax, stay
tuned for:

_Forth: the New Model_ by Jack J. Woehr (Hi, Mom!) M&T Books 1992,
ISBN 1-55851-277-2.

        "Forth, the primary language for embedded systems, has
        spawned a perplexing array of Forth systems, syntaxes and
        implementation strategies. The work of the ANS/ASC X3/X3J14
        committee has been to develop and define a platform-independent
        specification so that programmers can write truly portable code.
        This book teaches Forth and the proposed new standard from the
        perspective of a Technical Committe member. You will find it
        especially helpful if you are:

                - An experienced Forh programmer who wishes to become
                familiar with the draft-proposed standard for Forth

                - A Forth programmer who needs know how to convert
                existing programs to the new proposed standard

                - A programmer, experienced in other languages, who
                is using Forth for an embedded control project

                - A beginning Forth programmer who wishes to learn
                the language"

        Note new title. Should be in your books stores in January.
Of course, this all won't mean anything 'till I see my picture on
the cover of the "Rolling Stone" :-)

                        =jax=

Sun, 04 Jun 1995 13:39:33 GMT
 New Book: _Forth: the New Model_

Quote:

>    For all of you who are in the halibut of waiting with baited
>breath for new Forth books, especially Forth books by jax, stay
>tuned for:

>_Forth: the New Model_ by Jack J. Woehr (Hi, Mom!) M&T Books 1992,
>ISBN 1-55851-277-2.

[summary deleted]

        This not a flame (not even an ember) but a sincere question:  How can
you already have a book coming out on ANS Forth (considering publishing
lead-times and the fact the standard is still in process) without it being as
out-of-date as the earlier Basis documents?  What is the likelihood there will
have to be extensive revisions for a second edition?

Actually that was two sincere questions.

Regards,
tony

Sun, 04 Jun 1995 22:58:42 GMT
 New Book: _Forth: the New Model_

Quote:

>>_Forth: the New Model_ by Jack J. Woehr (Hi, Mom!) M&T Books 1992,
>>ISBN 1-55851-277-2.
>    This not a flame (not even an ember) but a sincere question:  How can
>you already have a book coming out on ANS Forth (considering publishing
>lead-times and the fact the standard is still in process) without it being as
>out-of-date as the earlier Basis documents?  What is the likelihood there will
>have to be extensive revisions for a second edition?

        First of all, my final draft for the publisher was October, 1992.

        The BASIS has been pretty stable since about dpANS-2, which was
voted in August, 1991. There were some changes at the October meeting
that affected the material covered in the book, but they are not earth
shaking. The two most important are as follows:

        1) TIB and #TIB were moved to Core Extensions and deprecated
in favor of the new Core word

                SOURCE ( --- c-addr u)

        which, as you can guess, returns the address and count of the
current input stream.

        My book talks about TIB and #TIB.

        2) SLITERAL ( c-addr u --)  C    STRING

        was added, which is interesting, but again not earthshaking.

Quote:
>Actually that was two sincere questions.

        And the sincere answer to both is, buy up my book in its
current form and it will hasten the day when M&T orders up the
2nd, Expanded and Revised Edition!

        Thanx for asking, Tony!

                        =jax=
--

 # du!isis!koscej!jax        # # X3J14 TC # #  Forth Interest Group #
 # JAX on GEnie              # # for ANS  # #   P.O. Box 2154       #

Mon, 05 Jun 1995 10:10:59 GMT

1. Book Forth: The New Model

2. New Forth book name FORTH: ....

3. _Forth: The New Model_ Addenda, Emenda, Corrigienda

4. Forth: The New Model

5. Forth: The New Model

6. New Book Contains Forth Chapters

7. New FORTH Book

8. New Forth book?

9. New Book Using Forth...

10. Real Time Forth book now in new formats

11. New forth book...

12. New forth book...