Mops 2.3 posted
Author Message
 Mops 2.3 posted

I have placed the latest version of Mops (vs 2.3) onto
oddjob.uchicago.edu, in directory pub/Yerk. There are
three binhexed files: manual, source, and binary. The
binary is there if you don't want to do a recompile.

I would recommend not getting the binary unless you
just want to see what Mops is about. The source is
invaluable in learning and using Mops.

---bob

Fri, 08 Sep 1995 23:19:59 GMT
 Mops 2.3 posted

Quote:

> I have placed the latest version of Mops (vs 2.3) onto
> oddjob.uchicago.edu, in directory pub/Yerk. There are
> three binhexed files: manual, source, and binary. The
> binary is there if you don't want to do a recompile.

The documents for the manual part IV and the two appendixes
appear to be missing from the manual.  I'm also getting an error
#188 concerning a missing log file from "profile"; the Mops
window doesn't repaint when unconvered; and the Mops window
doesn't respond to mouse drags or cut/copy/paste operations.
Otherwise, it is a nice distribution.  Building the system was no
problem. Quickedit at first glance seems very useful.

Thanks very much, Mike and Bob!

Mops 2.3, Centris 650 68040LC, MacOS 7.1.1

Jon Vander Hill

Sun, 10 Sep 1995 11:12:59 GMT
 Mops 2.3 posted

Quote:
Jon Vander Hill writes:
>The documents for the manual part IV and the two appendixes
>appear to be missing from the manual.

Whoops, I see I didn't bring the "Roadmap" file up to date.  There
isn't a manual part IV. -- it was going to be the glossary, but
that's now available in on-line form in QuickEdit instead.

Also, there's only one Appendix, and that's the Assembler manual
which should be there.

Quote:
>  I'm also getting an error
>#188 concerning a missing log file from "profile";

You have to have logging turned on when you recompile, since
the profiler relies on the info in the log file.  Do +log
and recompile.  (I think this is in the manual?)

Quote:
>the Mops
>window doesn't repaint when unconvered; and the Mops window
>doesn't respond to mouse drags or cut/copy/paste operations.

This is because the Mops window isn't a proper text-editing
window -- it's just a glorified Forth output console
(Neon was the same).  But I've had a few other queries
about this -- it's what Mac users expect these days, and
rightly so too.  I'll try to do something about it for next
time.

Cheers,  Mike.

                     CompuServe:  100033,3164                   /      \
                                                                \_.--._x
        Short .sigs minimize .sig/noise ratio.                        v

Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:13:12 GMT
 Mops 2.3 posted

Quote:

> Whoops, I see I didn't bring the "Roadmap" file up to date.  There
> isn't a manual part IV. -- it was going to be the glossary, but
> that's now available in on-line form in QuickEdit instead.

Is this glossary complete?  I cannot, for example, find the words
debug and profile in it.

Are error messages summarized somewhere?  The Yerk doc has a very
nice section on this.

Quote:
> Also, there's only one Appendix, and that's the Assembler manual
> which should be there.

It is.

Quote:
>>  I'm also getting an error
>>#188 concerning a missing log file from "profile";
> You have to have logging turned on when you recompile, since
> the profiler relies on the info in the log file.  Do +log
> and recompile.  (I think this is in the manual?)

Yes, it's in the manual.  I'm doing the following:

+log
// factorial
ftest   \ defined in factorial, works fine
profile ftest

and still get the #188 error.  A file called factorial.log is created
in the folder where factorial lives.

I'm also having trouble with debug, I do the following:

+log
// factorial
debug ftest

and get the source window, but the Mops window just drops back
to the interpreter prompt.

The word "see" seems to work.  I get an assembler-ish output that
responds at least some of the documented subcommands.  The source
window does not synchronize, however.

Jon Vander Hill

Tue, 12 Sep 1995 03:07:51 GMT
 Mops 2.3 posted

I'll post this response, since there could be others having the same
difficulties:

Quote:
Jon Vander Hill writes:
>Is this glossary complete?  I cannot, for example, find the words
>debug and profile in it.

I'll have to check -- I didn't do the glossary, Doug Hoffman (on
Compu$erve) did.  Maybe he didn't get around to everything.

Quote:
>Are error messages summarized somewhere?  The Yerk doc has a very
>nice section on this.

Sorry -- I should do this for the next release.  A lot of the numbers
have changed from Neon.

Quote:
>+log
>// factorial
>ftest   \ defined in factorial, works fine
>profile ftest

I think you should be using the "Load" menu command instead of //.
(This definitely should be made clearer in the manual.)  // is
lower-level, and doesn't generate the log file, or not properly.

Quote:
>I'm also having trouble with debug, I do the following:

>+log
>// factorial
>debug ftest
>and get the source window, but the Mops window just drops back
>to the interpreter prompt.

Try:
+log
<Load factorial from the menu>
debug ftest
ftest

"debug" activates the de{*filter*} and puts a breakpoint in the word
you're debugging, but you then have to actually *execute* the word.
Of course executing another word which calls your word will work,
too.  (Maybe this also should be made clearer in the manual.)

Quote:
>The word "see" seems to work.  I get an assembler-ish output that
>responds at least some of the documented subcommands.  The source
>window does not synchronize, however.

Once you get the log going properly, it should.  I hope all this
gets you up and running!

Cheers,  Mike.

                     CompuServe:  100033,3164                   /      \
                                                                \_.--._x
        Short .sigs minimize .sig/noise ratio.                        v

Thu, 14 Sep 1995 11:13:35 GMT

1. Mops 2.3 bug fixed

2. Mops 2.3 floating point

3. Mops 2.31 posted

4. BottomFeeder 2.3 Released

5. Announcement - Bistro 2.3 Available

6. OW4.1 on Solaris 2.3

7. 2.3 Legacy Templates in C5PE

8. VW 2.0/Solaris 2.3: DLLCC race conditions?

9. Looking for Solaris 2.3 Smalltalk

10. Looking for Eiffel 2.3

11. ISE eiffel 2.3 problems

12. Eiffel 2.3