Elj Project: 0.2 Release
Author Message
 Elj Project: 0.2 Release

Introduction
------------

The ELJ Project aims to bring GUI and Database functionality to the
SmallEiffel community. The initial focus of this work has been to
interface existing and well established C libraries, such as those
listed below. We also provide higher level libraries based on these
interfaces.

We are pleased to make this 0.2 release and you can find ready
prepared installations from our SourceForge project page:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

The 0.2 Release
---------------

Interfaces to:

- wxWindows, large parts of the stable 2.2.9 release
- Firebird, the Open Source spin-off of Interbase
- PostgreSQL
- MySQL
- Btrieve
- Berkeley DB
- Win32 API

Furthermore some useful base classes, two formatting libraries, a lib
for handling regular expressions. Please note that the reg_exp lib has
been moved to the GOBO project and that the one included with this
install will be removed in one of the following releases.

Getting Started
---------------

Getting started with ELJ, a (very) short introduction into the ELJ
library.

- open a command line and navigate it into one of the example dirs

- type ‘geant’ and see a list of available targets

- choose one, for example type ‘geant compile’

- run the compiled example

What if it does not work?

- did you install SmallEiffel and lcc?

- did you install GOBO (the minimal version which ships with the
  installation or a recent CVS version)?

- is you PATH variable okay? Check with the ‘set’ command
  from the command line

The Build Process
-----------------

A quick glance at the build process

We use the geant / gexace tool combination from the GOBO project as our
build tools of choice. Roughly speaking, geant reads the file 'build.eant'
from the current working directory and constructs the given target from
the rules given in that file. In our cases, at least one target results
in a call to gexace which constructs from the 'system.xace' file in the
current directory an ace  (Assembly of Classes in Eiffel) file which in
turn is used by the Eiffel compiler to generate an executable.

Have a close look at these build control files in our examples and
download the GOBO CVS for further informations.

More information

- http://www.*-*-*.com/ (The GOBO project)
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;(SourceForge)
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;(ELJ Project Helper)

- http://www.*-*-*.com/ (SmallEiffel home)

- http://www.*-*-*.com/ .{*filter*}ia.edu/~lcc-win32/ (lcc home)

- http://www.*-*-*.com/ (GeAnt Tool)

- http://www.*-*-*.com/ (GeXace Tool)

Feedback is welcome via the elj-devel Mailing list.

Geoff Eldridge

-- http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:43:10 GMT

1. The ELJ Project announces the release of ELJ 0.3; Open source Projects and API Bindings for Eiffel

2. Open-source release of MLj 0.2: a Standard ML to Java bytecode compiler

3. New 0.2 release of Goanna - The Eiffel Web Application Framework

4. OOPServer 0.2 Released

5. flux 0.2 released

6. RELEASE: Recode 0.2

7. ANN: Pyrex 0.2 released

8. ANN: xdialog 0.2 released

9. Frowns Chemoinformatics System 0.2 released

10. ANN: HAP Python Remote Debugger 0.2 Released

11. ANN: jabberpy 0.2 released