Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific
Author Message
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

          THIRD INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON EIFFEL

         ANNOUNCEMENT  AND  CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

   Wednesday, November 29, 1995  - Melbourne, Australia

           (during TOOLS Pacific '95 week)

Workshop Chair:  Dr. James C. McKim, Hartford Graduate Center

OVERVIEW

The   Third  International  Workshop  on  Eiffel   is  a  one-day
event  to be devoted exclusively to the Eiffel language and Eiffel-
based applications.  It is being held as  part  of  the  Conference
section   of   the  TOOLS  Pacifc '95  (Technology of Object-Oriented
Languages   &   Systems)  International  Conference  and Exhibition,
in Melbroune, Australia on November 27-30, 1995.

The Eiffel object-oriented  language  has  been  a  non-proprietary
language  since  1990  when the Non-Profit International Consortium
for Eiffel (NICE) was incorporated as an  independent  entity  that
owns  and administers the Eiffel trademark.  NICE also controls the
language standard, making Eiffel the only object-oriented  language
that  enjoys  a  published  language  standard with multiple vendor
support.

SUBMITTING A PRESENTATION

The Third   International  Workshop  on  Eiffel is now soliciting
papers, panels, and working  groups on  all  aspects  of  Eiffel.
A  non-exhaustive list of suggested topics includes:
     o Reports on experiences with Eiffel.
     o Description and demonstration of current or future projects.
     o Interfaces with other tools and systems (graphics  packages,
       database management systems, expert systems, etc.).
     o Presentations of reusable components written in Eiffel.
     o Role  of  Eiffel  for  teaching  software  engineering  and
       computer science.
     o Demonstration of Eiffel applications
     o Research related to Eiffel

Possible topics for working groups or panels are:
     o Procedures for sharing reusable classes between users.
     o Using Eiffel for teaching.
     o Standardization issues (NICE, OMG/CORBA, OLE)
     o The future/evolution of Eiffel

IMPORTANT DATES

Papers should be submitted as final drafts, equivalent in length to
5-10   double  spaced  pages; abstracts for working groups or panels
should be 1-2 double spaced pages.

Notification  of acceptance will be given by November 1, 1995 and final
camera-ready  copies  of  accepted papers, panel position
papers, and working group hand-outs due November 15.

Accepted workshop papers, panel position papers, and  presentations
will  be  bound  in  a separate  proceedings  to be distributed to
Workshop attendees.  In addition, papers and presentations  of
sufficiently  high  quality will also be considered for inclusion
in the Proceedings volume for TOOLS 18, published worldwide by Prentice
Hall, as well as published in upcoming issues of Eiffel Outlook and
EiffelWorld.

Deadline summary: Submissions due October 15, 1995
        Acceptances mailed out November 1, 1995
        Final CRC manuscripts due November 15, 1995

Papers to be submitted to:

Professor James C. McKim
Dept. of Computer Science
The Hartford Graduate Center
275 Windsor Street
Hartford, CT 06120-2991 USA
Tel. 203-548-2458  Fax 203-547-0868

For further information complete the coupon below and mail, fax  or
e-mail  it  to :

Eiffel Workshop
P.O. Box 6863
Santa Barbara, CA 93160
Phone: (805) 685-1006, Fax: (805) 685-6869

Name,  address,  telephone, fax, E-mail:

/ / I am submitting a presentation. Please enclose  title  and
    abstract  on  a separate sheet. Copy of full  presentation
    due October 15, 1995.

     Subject:
     Title:

/ / I will need a / / Unix workstation / / PC/DOS & Windows for  a
    presentation.

/ / I would like to chair / / a working group / /  a  panel  on  the
    following topic:

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Jim McKim  (203)-548-2458     Co-editor of Eiffel Outlook

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific
James McKim:

Quote:
> language standard, making Eiffel the only object-oriented language
> that enjoys a published language standard with multiple vendor
> support.

I've already heard that from Ada95 and CLOS people.... oberon and
Smalltalk also have some sort of "published standard" and multiple
commercial vendors.

--
facts are good.

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

deletions:

| James McKim:

| > language standard, making Eiffel the only object-oriented language
| > that enjoys a published language standard with multiple vendor
| > support.

Probably this quote is out of context, because I am sure Jim McKim
knows that Ada95 is all the above, plus being an ANSI standard.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

CEC Services, 2080 Kipling St, Lakewood, CO  80215-1502   USA
Voice: 303.231.9437; Facs: .231.9438; ISDN: .462.1107 & .1448
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

Quote:

>deletions:

>| James McKim:

>| > language standard, making Eiffel the only object-oriented language
>| > that enjoys a published language standard with multiple vendor
>| > support.

>Probably this quote is out of context, because I am sure Jim McKim
>knows that Ada95 is all the above, plus being an ANSI standard.

Actually, I assumed without doing my homework that Ada95 lacked
multivendor support (after all the standard just came out!). There is
indeed such support and I will see that this line is changed in
future adverts for the Eiffel workshop.

Quote:

>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

>CEC Services, 2080 Kipling St, Lakewood, CO  80215-1502   USA
>Voice: 303.231.9437; Facs: .231.9438; ISDN: .462.1107 & .1448
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Humbly,
-- Jim

--

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Jim McKim  (203)-548-2458     Co-editor of Eiffel Outlook

Sun, 08 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

Quote:
> Actually, I assumed without doing my homework that Ada95 lacked
> multivendor support (after all the standard just came out!). There is
> indeed such support and I will see that this line is changed in
> future adverts for the Eiffel workshop.

But what justification is there for either of the two claims:

1) Eiffel enjoys a published language standard,

2) multiple vendor support?

What "published language standard" covers recursive/nested
assertions, attachment if creation fails, once persistence,
order of assertion checking, assertions during evaluation of
old operands, GENERAL generic, manifest constant overflow,
manifest constant widening, out/tagged_out format, STORABLE
format, BIT padding, repeated class invariant inheritance,
minimal number of generics, ...? The ELS95 definitions for
GENERAL makes it, and therefore the entire ELS95, unusable
and the non-trivial classes (ARRAY, STRING, STD_FILES, FILE)
are so far from your recommended "Principles of Class
Interface Design" that they too are basicly inadequate
for use as a "standard" as far as compiler development
or software design. (Indeed ELS95 appears to be far enough
away from QSRES standards that even there it would be
rejected).

As to "multiple vendor support", while each vendor does
appear to support dome dialect/interpretation of something,
is there sufficient commonality to provide even a de facto
interoperablility standard? I think not, nor do I see
the situation changing in the foreseeable future.

While I look forward to the next draft of ETR, given that
at least two years have elapsed since the first draft,
and that from a quick scan of various drafts very little
progress (if any) was made, I am not optimistic that a
language standard will be defined this millenium, let alone
implemented and available from multiple vendors.

Similarly, ELS95 has enough paradoxes that, given that
the deadline for ELS96 final proposals is less then a
week away, I see little hope for definition of a valid
library standard before ELS98, with again little chance
of multiple vendors providing interoperable compliant
implementations this millenium.

While I certainly look forward to Eiffel standardization,
to date there is little evidence that it will ever happen
to the appropriate interoperability level required from a
standard.

PS: Will the final proposals for ELS96 be available soon?
I am more then willing to review ETR/ELS again and focus
on providing more detailed explanations and priorities
for areas that need work (as requested by several people),
but I would prefer to start with more current proposals
(if any exist). With the final proposal submission
deadline of 1 September, yet only one month before the
approval deadline, I think the review should start as
soon as possible.

Mon, 09 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

 >> deletions:
 >>
 >> | James McKim:

 >> Probably this quote is out of context, because I am sure Jim McKim
 >> knows that Ada95 is all the above, plus being an ANSI standard.

 jm> Actually, I assumed without doing my homework that Ada95 lacked
 jm> multivendor support (after all the standard just came out!). There is
 jm> indeed such support and I will see that this line is changed in
 jm> future adverts for the Eiffel workshop.

And, of course, CLOS was the first OO language to become ANSI standardized,
and has had multi-vendor support for years.

Don

Mon, 09 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific
: James McKim:

: > language standard, making Eiffel the only object-oriented language
: > that enjoys a published language standard with multiple vendor
: > support.

: I've already heard that from Ada95 and CLOS people.... oberon and
: smalltalk also have some sort of "published standard" and multiple
: commercial vendors.

: --
: facts are good.

      FACT:  Ada is an ISO OOP language standard as of
             January 1995.  It is ISO/ANSI/IEC Standard 8652:1995

      CLOS might be a little earlier, but no other that I know of.

  Richard Riehle

--

Sun, 15 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel Workshop at TOOLS Pacific

Maybe we'll have the facts, just the facts, some day :-).

: FACT: Ada is an ISO OOP language standard as of January 1995.  It is
: ISO/ANSI/IEC Standard 8652:1995

The _publication_ date for Ada 95 as an ISO standard is February 15, 1995.
The _approval_ was November 1994.

: CLOS might be a little earlier, but no other that I know of.

CLOS is an ANSI standard, dated December 1994 if memory serves me right.

Ultimately, how important is it?  Hmmm.
--
Magnus Kempe            "I know not what course others may take, but as for me,

Mon, 16 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. International Eiffel Workshop (at TOOLS USA) Final Program

2. PACIFIC ISE EIFFEL INTEREST & USER GROUP MEETING

3. Australia/Pacific ISE Eiffel User Conference

4. TOOLS Pacific 95 FP

5. TOOLS Pacific '99 - November 22-25, Melbourne Australia

6. CFP TOOLS Pacific '95

7. TOOLS Pacific 94 Final Program

8. TOOLS PACIFIC 96 paper notification date past due

9. Conference Announcement TOOLS Pacific 1996

10. TOOLS Pacific 95 FP

11. CFP TOOLS Pacific '95

12. TOOLS Pacific 94 Final Program