Native code compilers
Author Message
 Native code compilers

Quote:
Bielak) writes:
> I don't think that you'll see a native code Eiffel compiler for any
> platform.

Really?  I'm using one now.

There are benefits in translators to C over native code compilers -
especially on the Unix platform where a variety of processors need
to be supported, but there are also disadvantages (imagine what it
would have been like had C compiled to fortran?).  Once can hardly
claim a native code compiler is as portable as a translator to C, but
that is not always seen as an advantage (why do none of the main PC
based C++ compilers use CFront?).  Indeed it is not an advantage to
most users, only for the vendor.

Native code compilers can perform optimisations which C compilers
never could - they have more information available from the source
language semantics which is often lost after translation.  In many
architechtures they can also take advantage of instructions the C
compiler would not - frequently used combinations which can be
optimised using an instruction which would not have made it to the C
optimiser because it was considered rare. They also can compile faster
(1 stage instead of 2), produce better runtime diagnostics, and
produce smaller executables (anyone beat 3k?).

The Eiffel compiler I am using now is already faster than the
commercial C++ compiler I was using on the same platform.

Native code Eiffel compilers will be available on the x86 and 680x0
families of machines at "consumer" prices within a year.

Andrew R Henson, Method Computers Ltd  | Tel +44.426.910223 (messages)
Solina, Newbury, England RG16 9NN      |     +44.923.825275 (voice)

Thu, 18 Jan 1996 06:28:04 GMT
 Native code compilers

Quote:
: Bielak) writes:

: > I don't think that you'll see a native code Eiffel compiler for any
: > platform.

: Really?  I'm using one now.
Would you possibly tell us WHICH compiler you are using? Maybe you could
give some details...
Ulrich Windl
Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
D-93042 Regensburg
Germany
---

Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:53:35 GMT
 Native code compilers

Quote:

> : > I don't think that you'll see a native code Eiffel compiler for any
> : > platform.
> : Really?  I'm using one now.
> Would you possibly tell us WHICH compiler you are using? Maybe you could
> give some details...

The native code compiler is still under test, release expected
towards the end of the year.

Andrew R Henson, Method Computers Ltd  | Tel +44.426.910223 (messages)
Solina, Newbury, England RG16 9NN      |     +44.923.825275 (voice)

Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:18:00 GMT

1. Re(try): A native-code compiler in Forth

2. XDS native code compiler for NT

3. XDS native code compiler for NT

4. OCaml native code compiler has little to do with C--

5. Is there a native code compiler for Python?

6. Can Tcl have a native code compiler

7. Tcl native code compiler?!?

8. Native code compiler for python?

9. Free, complete, Oberon-2 native code compiler for DOS?

10. native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

11. A native-code Java compiler in Forth

12. QuickSort(), native code, Force compiler