ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)
Author Message
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

ISE Eiffel version 4.2 is available for downloading.
As usual, go to http://www.*-*-*.com/ and follow
"download" (in the left frame).

This is for the Windows version only. The Linux version
will be made available for downloading in the next couple
of days.

If you are far away (net-wise) from ISE and find that
download rates are too slow, please come back in
a few days and check the mirror sites, to which
links will be added shortly.

Enjoy 4.2!

--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc.
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

That's great news.

I have a question, what (specifically) is required for the linux
version of 4.2. Library versions, kernel version, X11 version,
anything else?

I actually ask this having already tried to get 4.2 running on a
Redhat 5.0 linux system with little luck so far (I have a CD with 4.2)

Redhat 5.0 has got libc.so.6 (actually, glibc-2.0.6) which does not
work with EiffelBench 4.2. It also has got libc.5.3.12 (in
i486-linux-libc5) but this too seems to give problems ("cannot resolved
symbol _IO_getc" from memory, I'm not at my home system at the moment)

I did manage to get es4 to compile some of the examples at one point
but I'm not too sure how and seem to be unable to reproduce this. The
problems are all library version related (I hate shared libraries :-)
and I cannot seem to find the correct combination of libraries.

A good start to solving my problems would be complete information
about what ebench was built against and what other combinations it was
tested with.

regards, brian wallis...

Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

> That's great news.

> I have a question, what (specifically) is required for the linux
> version of 4.2. Library versions, kernel version, X11 version,
> anything else?

Basically any Linux elf system should be ok. X11R6, kernel 1.2 or
above (probably earlier is ok too.) Both libc5 and glibc are
supported, but for glibc system you need libc5 libaries. For MEL &
EiffelVision finalized mode GUI development, Motif 1.2 or above is
required. (Using MEL or Vision precompiled libraries does not require
Motif.)

Quote:
> I actually ask this having already tried to get 4.2 running on a
> Redhat 5.0 linux system with little luck so far (I have a CD with 4.2)

> Redhat 5.0 has got libc.so.6 (actually, glibc-2.0.6) which does not
> work with EiffelBench 4.2. It also has got libc.5.3.12 (in
> i486-linux-libc5) but this too seems to give problems ("cannot resolved
> symbol _IO_getc" from memory, I'm not at my home system at the moment)

This is a problem we discovered just after the release.  This is now
fixed; only few first CD's delivered contains this defective
version. (It works on libc5 systems, but on glibc systems the above
problem might occur.)

The version on the web/ftp site (http://www.eiffel.com/eiffel/download) is ok.

If not too inconvenient, could you download the version (EiffelBench
7.5MB) from the ftp site? If this is not appropriate, please contact
us.

We are very sorry for the trouble.

--

Interactive Software Engineering Inc.           Tel: +1 805 685-1006
270 Storke Rd, 2nd fl, Goleta, CA 93117, USA    Fax: +1 805 685-6869

Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

>ISE Eiffel version 4.2 is available for downloading.
>As usual, go to http://www.eiffel.com and follow
>"download" (in the left frame).

    Once one HAS downloaded from eiffel.com, how does one get removed from
the mailing list?  Three times now, I've responded to ISE's mass emailings
with a polite "Please remove me from your mailing list", but apparently to
no avail.  Since I regularly read C.L.E, I prefer not to get email
notifications of product releases as well...

Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

How did you ever get in the mailing list? My problem is quite opposite!
VP

Quote:

>>ISE Eiffel version 4.2 is available for downloading.
>>As usual, go to http://www.eiffel.com and follow
>>"download" (in the left frame).

>    Once one HAS downloaded from eiffel.com, how does one get removed from
>the mailing list?  Three times now, I've responded to ISE's mass emailings
>with a polite "Please remove me from your mailing list", but apparently to
>no avail.  Since I regularly read C.L.E, I prefer not to get email
>notifications of product releases as well...

Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Well, I guess I could reset my filter;  rather than sending all the stuff
from ISE to my trashbin, I could just forward it on to you... :-)

Quote:

>How did you ever get in the mailing list? My problem is quite opposite!
>VP

>>>ISE Eiffel version 4.2 is available for downloading.
>>>As usual, go to http://www.eiffel.com and follow
>>>"download" (in the left frame).

>>    Once one HAS downloaded from eiffel.com, how does one get removed from
>>the mailing list?  Three times now, I've responded to ISE's mass emailings
>>with a polite "Please remove me from your mailing list", but apparently to
>>no avail.  Since I regularly read C.L.E, I prefer not to get email
>>notifications of product releases as well...

Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

>     Once one HAS downloaded from eiffel.com, how does one get removed from
> the mailing list?  Three times now, I've responded to ISE's mass emailings
> with a polite "Please remove me from your mailing list", but apparently to
> no avail.  Since I regularly read C.L.E, I prefer not to get email
> notifications of product releases as well...

Sorry for that. We will check the mailing list. It is managed manually,
precisely
to avoid this kind of thing, but errors do happen.

Our two principal  mailing lists are:

    - Electronic EiffelWorld newsletter: approximately one posting a month.
       This has been merged with the "announce" list.  Subscription  and
removal

    - User discussion list: for discussions between ISE Eiffel users
        (not specifically for posts by ISE, although we do respond whenever
        possible).  All messages are Web-archived. Subscription and

Again, we apologize for the trouble.

ISE Inc.                        http://www.eiffel.com
ISE Building                        tel.:805 685-1006
270 Storke Road, 2nd Floor          fax: 805 685-6869
Goleta, CA 93117, USA

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

> A small suggestion, you ftp server does not seem to support the
> restart command. This makes it quite difficult some times to fetch
> large files as you always have to restart a broken transfer from the
> start of the file.

Yes, the prospect of downloading over 30M in one download is scary, but
it's terrifying from a server that doesn't support restart. I noticed
you have *something* split on the ftp server, but it's not clear what it
actually was. It would be very reassuring to be able to download the
files in bits, and I'd suggest 2M as the size limit of a "bit".

Jonathan Kelly

02/25/98 09:38
Using: OUI 1.8 Beta 8
If you wish to reply you will have to edit the address.
Change im.sick.of.spam to sunink.com

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

It's not 30 Mb. It's only about 7348Kb without the precompiled libs.

Loryn Jenkins

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

> > That's great news.

> > I have a question, what (specifically) is required for the linux
> > version of 4.2. Library versions, kernel version, X11 version,
> > anything else?
> Basically any Linux elf system should be ok. X11R6, kernel 1.2 or
> above (probably earlier is ok too.) Both libc5 and glibc are
> supported, but for glibc system you need libc5 libaries. For MEL &
> EiffelVision finalized mode GUI development, Motif 1.2 or above is
> required. (Using MEL or Vision precompiled libraries does not require
> Motif.)

Does this mean it's usable on any system with Linux ? I might want to try
to install Linux on my Amiga and use ISE that way, as I'm now using
SmallEiffel and am having some problems with it.

--
o-----------------------------------------------------o
| Jari Pakarinen         University of Turku, Finland |

o-----------------------------------------------------o

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

>> A small suggestion, you ftp server does not seem to support the
>> restart command. This makes it quite difficult some times to fetch
>> large files as you always have to restart a broken transfer from the
>> start of the file.

>Yes, the prospect of downloading over 30M in one download is scary, but
>it's terrifying from a server that doesn't support restart. I noticed
>you have *something* split on the ftp server, but it's not clear what it
>actually was. It would be very reassuring to be able to download the
>files in bits, and I'd suggest 2M as the size limit of a "bit".

You can download the 7Meg version with no pre-compiled bits included
then do your own pre-compiliation. It might be faster. However, the
precompilation of the basic libraries seemed to take quite a while
(hours), so I have no idea how long WEL would take.
---

RedRock, Toronto, Canada

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

[...]

Quote:
> You can download the 7Meg version with no pre-compiled bits included
> then do your own pre-compiliation. It might be faster. However, the
> precompilation of the basic libraries seemed to take quite a while
> (hours), so I have no idea how long WEL would take.

Do you mean compilation of the "base" library? On my
P5/200mhz Linux box it took about 15 minutes to
precompile the base cluster, including C compilation.

What sort of machine are you using?

...richie

http://www.netlabs.net./~richieb

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

>[...]

>> You can download the 7Meg version with no pre-compiled bits included
>> then do your own pre-compiliation. It might be faster. However, the
>> precompilation of the basic libraries seemed to take quite a while
>> (hours), so I have no idea how long WEL would take.

>Do you mean compilation of the "base" library? On my
>P5/200mhz Linux box it took about 15 minutes to
>precompile the base cluster, including C compilation.

>What sort of machine are you using?

>...richie

>http://www.netlabs.net./~richieb

Well, I don't have the fastest machine: a P90 with 96MB running NT4. At
least I can say the NTFS partition was not fragmented when I tried the
compile.

Linux is a lot faster than NT.

Now that I'm talking about this... Why does Eiffel compile every C file
one at a time. Borland's compiler is at *least* twice as fast if you
just compile everything at once. It seems to me that most of this
compile time is re-loading the compiler.

Cheers,
Bob
---

RedRock, Toronto, Canada

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Windows)

Quote:

> Does this mean it's usable on any system with Linux ? I might want to try
> to install Linux on my Amiga and use ISE that way, as I'm now using
> SmallEiffel and am having some problems with it.

Sorry, my message was not complete. Currently only intel Linux is
supported.

--

Interactive Software Engineering Inc.           Tel: +1 805 685-1006
270 Storke Rd, 2nd fl, Goleta, CA 93117, USA    Fax: +1 805 685-6869

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. ISE Eiffel 4.2 available for downloading (Linux)

2. ISE Eiffel 4.2 output, Windows NT

3. ISE Eiffel 4.2

4. ISE Eiffel 4.2 Compilation

5. ISE Eiffel 4.2: A different Perspective

6. New platforms for ISE Eiffel 4.2

7. Installing ISE Eiffel 4.2

8. ISE Eiffel 4.2: major new release

9. Beta test of ISE Eiffel 4.2

10. Coherent 4.2 version of Eiffel/S is available

11. Download Eiffel from ISE