S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel
Author Message
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

there was a parser written in Australia about 4 years ago ..
does anyone know if this program was enhanced since this time ?
(or how to reach the autor ?)

--
Frieder Monninger                            SIG Computer GmbH

http://www.*-*-*.com/                  + 49 6472-2096 (fax -911 031)

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:

>there was a parser written in Australia about 4 years ago ..
>does anyone know if this program was enhanced since this time ?
>(or how to reach the autor ?)

I know of 2 parsers, which you could mean:
  a) YOOCC, Yes! an Object Oriented Compiler Compiler
  b) TROOPER, Truly Reusable OO Parser for Eiffel Re-engineering

YOOCC is actually an enhancement of the ISE Eiffel Parse library, which is
distributed with the ISE Eiffel distribution. It makes use of the ISE
Eiffel Lex library, which means that you can only use it, if you have the ISE
Eiffel environment and Parse and Lex library available.
The current release (1.0) from 1995 is the first release of YOOCC.

The distribution is available by anonymous ftp at:
'http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~yoocc/'.

TROOPER encapsulates the complexities of lexical analysis and parsing
of Eiffel texts utilising an extended parse library which evolved from the
ISE EiffelParse library.  It provides a complete working parser written
entirely in Eiffel.  Semantic actions can be added to the parsing constructs
to develop different tools such as pretty-printers, compilers, etc. and
others as mentioned in the paper listed in the "Use" section of this file.
(TROOPER was developed using YOOC.)

The distribution is available by anonymous ftp at:
'http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~trooper/'.

Hope this helps, Guenter

--

Guenter Behrens                                       |\      _,,,---,,_
Computer Science Student at                      zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.

--
Guenter Behrens                                       |\      _,,,---,,_
Computer Science Student at                      zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
Technical University of Berlin, Germany              |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'

Thu, 04 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:

>there was a parser written in Australia about 4 years ago ..
>does anyone know if this program was enhanced since this time ?
>(or how to reach the autor ?)

Hello Frieder,

Yes, I am one of the authors.  Jon Avotins is the other one.
We both last used and enhanced TROOPER for our PhD projects
at Monash Uni.

You can get hold of the parser in the MONCore package.  MONCore
is a reverse-engineering tool for Eiffel that uses the TROOPER
parser.  If your interested see the recently completed thesis:
"Object-oriented Architectural Restructuring through Abstraction
and Reimplementation" by myself, Monash University, AUSTRALIA.

MONCore is available on: ftp.sd.monash.edu.au

YOOCC and TROOPER used to be available on hornet.sd.monash.edu.au
but this machine has since been decommissioned. ie, converted from
Linux to NT :-(.  I will get the backups out and put the original
archives of TROOPER and YOOCC on the sd ftp site above.  Stay
tuned.

Best regards,
Glenn.

--
Glenn Maughan ---------------------------------------------------
Object Oriented Pty. Ltd.            | Ph:    +613 9243-5505

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:
>YOOCC is actually an enhancement of the ISE Eiffel Parse library, which is
>distributed with the ISE Eiffel distribution. It makes use of the ISE
>Eiffel Lex library, which means that you can only use it, if you have the ISE
>Eiffel environment and Parse and Lex library available.
>The current release (1.0) from 1995 is the first release of YOOCC.

>The distribution is available by anonymous ftp at:
>'http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~yoocc/'.

If you need more information you are better off sending mail

The above address may still exist but I am not sure where it goes!

Quote:
>TROOPER encapsulates the complexities of lexical analysis and parsing
>of Eiffel texts utilising an extended parse library which evolved from the
>ISE EiffelParse library.  It provides a complete working parser written
>entirely in Eiffel.  Semantic actions can be added to the parsing constructs
>to develop different tools such as pretty-printers, compilers, etc. and
>others as mentioned in the paper listed in the "Use" section of this file.
>(TROOPER was developed using YOOC.)

>The distribution is available by anonymous ftp at:
>'http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~trooper/'.

Same here.

Everything else Guenter said is correct.

Thanks.

Glenn.

--
Glenn Maughan ---------------------------------------------------
Object Oriented Pty. Ltd.            | Ph:    +613 9243-5505
Level 1, 434 St Kilda Rd. Melbourne  | Fax:   +613 9243-5515

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Glenn Maughan:

Quote:
> Yes, I am one of the authors.  Jon Avotins is the other one.
> We both last used and enhanced TROOPER for our PhD projects
> at Monash Uni.

Are you sure Frieder was not talking about David Morgan's parser (from
1993, also from Australia, used in the short/long package for Eiffel/S 1)
which is possibly (but not certainly) more portable than the one above
which is ISE-only if I understand well.

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:
> TROOPER encapsulates the complexities of lexical analysis and parsing
> of Eiffel texts utilising an extended parse library which evolved from the
> ISE EiffelParse library.  It provides a complete working parser written
> entirely in Eiffel.  Semantic actions can be added to the parsing constructs
> to develop different tools such as pretty-printers, compilers, etc. and
> others as mentioned in the paper listed in the "Use" section of this file.
> (TROOPER was developed using YOOC.)

> The distribution is available by anonymous ftp at:
> 'http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~trooper/'.

http://insect.sd.monash.edu.au/~jona/trooper.html works for me.

TROOPER also requires the ISE parse library - so it's not quite
"complete" in my eyes.

astor

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:

> Are you sure Frieder was not talking about David Morgan's parser (from
> 1993, also from Australia, used in the short/long package for Eiffel/S 1)
> which is possibly (but not certainly) more portable than the one above
> which is ISE-only if I understand well.

Yes, I spoke about Davids package - usage of ISE Libraries is in general
fine, but they are not available for free, so the package will not
work with Eiffel, just with ISE Eiffel. Davids program is as far I
remember a rather complete Eiffel parser written in plain Eiffel.

--
Frieder Monninger                            SIG Computer GmbH

http://www.sigco.com                  + 49 6472-2096 (fax -911 031)

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 S: Eiffel parser in Eiffel

Quote:

> > Are you sure Frieder was not talking about David Morgan's parser (from
> > 1993, also from Australia, used in the short/long package for Eiffel/S 1)
> > which is possibly (but not certainly) more portable than the one above
> > which is ISE-only if I understand well.

> Yes, I spoke about Davids package - usage of ISE Libraries is in general
> fine, but they are not available for free, so the package will not
> work with Eiffel, just with ISE Eiffel. Davids program is as far I
> remember a rather complete Eiffel parser written in plain Eiffel.

Try ftp://ftp.cs.cf.ac.uk/pub/eiffel/ as well. There is a parser there,
but I haven't tried it out.

--

Nick

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Request for ISE post of Eiffel lex/parser for Eiffel

2. Eiffel parser or grammar

3. Eiffel parser for SNiFF+

4. eiffel parser (1.0) bug

5. Eiffel Parser and Formal Semantics

6. Eiffel Parser required

7. Eiffel-3 Parser Test

8. Wanted: Parser for Eiffel

9. Eiffel Parser for SourceNavigator

10. xml parser for eiffel?

11. Letter to Eiffel Vendors: Eiffel and Java