Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6
Author Message
 Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

Well, I know that SIG and ISE do support Watcom's C 10.6 compiler, but
there seems to be other compiler vendors that don't. I know that
Watcom's compiler options are a pain to any user who ever used UNIX,
but in a modern software engineering environment it should be no
problem to use any reasonably working compiler.

Ulrich Windl

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

|> Well, I know that SIG and ISE do support Watcom's C 10.6 compiler, but
|> there seems to be other compiler vendors that don't. I know that
|> Watcom's compiler options are a pain to any user who ever used UNIX,
|> but in a modern software engineering environment it should be no
|> problem to use any reasonably working compiler.
|>
|> Ulrich Windl
I am quite sure that SmallEiffel works fine with this C compiler too.
Option -cc of commands compile/compile_to_c allow you to switch
from default gcc compiler.
Perhaps some users of SmallEiffel/Watcom can confirm ?
Dominique COLNET -- Talk Eiffel with SmallEiffel Talk Eiffel
C.R.I.N. (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
POST: CRIN,BP 239,54506 Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex,FRANCE

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

| Well, I know that SIG and ISE do support Watcom's C 10.6 compiler, but
| there seems to be other compiler vendors that don't. I know that
| Watcom's compiler options are a pain to any user who ever used UNIX,
| but in a modern software engineering environment it should be no
| problem to use any reasonably working compiler.

While we've not tested this C compiler with TowerEiffel for Win32 and
therefore don't supply a pre-tested configuration supporting it, I can
think of no reason why you could not configure TowerEiffel to use
Watcom C.

See the chapter on Lace in the Reference Manual (specifically, the
section on Tower-specific tags used to customize the way the
C-compiler is invoked).  Look at the msvc.ace, sc.ace and bcc.ace
files (in the lib\x86-w32 directory) for examples. Create a watcom.ace
and change ccomp.ace to load it and let us know how it works out! As

Eiffel: Accept no substitutes.

Tower Technology        WWW:     http://www.twr.com/

Wed, 03 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

Quote:

> | Well, I know that SIG and ISE do support Watcom's C 10.6 compiler, but
> | there seems to be other compiler vendors that don't. I know that
> | Watcom's compiler options are a pain to any user who ever used UNIX,
> | but in a modern software engineering environment it should be no
> | problem to use any reasonably working compiler.

> While we've not tested this C compiler with TowerEiffel for Win32 and
> therefore don't supply a pre-tested configuration supporting it, I can
> think of no reason why you could not configure TowerEiffel to use
> Watcom C.

> See the chapter on Lace in the Reference Manual (specifically, the
> section on Tower-specific tags used to customize the way the
> C-compiler is invoked).  Look at the msvc.ace, sc.ace and bcc.ace
> files (in the lib\x86-w32 directory) for examples. Create a watcom.ace
> and change ccomp.ace to load it and let us know how it works out! As

You are right in your way: If the compiler works, it works.

But: Don't I also need libraries for that compiler? What if a strange
bug appears (e.g. With SIG's old(!) 1.21 compiler pressing ^C caused the
machine to hang in DOS when using Watcom C 9.0 while it worked fine with
Borland C 3.1.

After all I think Watcom's compiler isn't that bad to be ignored.

My apologies to you, Steve.

Ulrich Windl

> Eiffel: Accept no substitutes.

> Tower Technology   WWW:     http://www.twr.com/

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

| > think of no reason why you could not configure TowerEiffel to use
| > Watcom C.
| But: Don't I also need libraries for that compiler? What if a strange

No: as of TowerEiffel 2.0.0, the Win32 Tower runtime libraries are
completely independent of any C compiler's libraries (they make no C
RTL calls).  So you can use any C compiler you wish without needing
Tower to recompile its runtime libraries.

Never express yourself more clearly than you think. -- Neils Bohr

Tower Technology        WWW:     http://www.twr.com/

Sun, 07 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Watcom C++ 10.6 and Clipper 5.2e

2. Tcl/Tk and Watcom C/C++ 10.6

3. Eiffel/S 1.3 with Watcom C 10.6

4. Inline assembler (pragma aux) problem with Watcom 10.6

5. WATCOM 10.6 (Win98)

6. Mixed-Language PROBLEMS - MS FORTRAN 5.00/Watcom 10.6 and PDS 7.1

7. Best GUI front end for Watcom 10.6?

8. Use IMSL Fortran library with Watcom Fortran 10.6?

9. OS/2 PM and Watcom 10.6 Fortran

10. Difficulty compiling for QNX 4.25, Watcom 10.6

11. Linking tcl and tk .libs with Watcom 10.6 compiler