Why Eiffel is called Eiffel
Author Message
 Why Eiffel is called Eiffel

Hi man,

   Because B. Meyer did study a the university of Paris (Sorbonne). Of courdse
   the Eiffel-tower is pointing to the sky in Paris -- get the idea.

CYA Ed

Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:09:51 GMT
 Why Eiffel is called Eiffel

Quote:
>   Because B. Meyer did study a the university of Paris (Sorbonne). Of courdse
>   the Eiffel-tower is pointing to the sky in Paris -- get the idea.

That's not the only reason. Gustave Eiffel, the engineer who designed and
erected the tower in Paris for the universal exposition had to face opposition
from intellectuals.

He wrote the following reply in "Le Temps" (got from Eiffel: The Language):

Must it be assumed that because we are engineers beauty is not our concern,
and that while we make our constructions robust and durable we do not also
strive to make them elegant?

Is it not true that the genuine conditions of strength always comply with the
secret conditions of harmony?

The first principle of architectural esthetics is that the eseential lines of
that monument must be determined by a perfect adaptation to its purpose.

                -- Gustave Eiffel, 1887

Eiffel (the language) has much in common with Eiffel (the man) in this
respect... Hmm, perhaps Dr. Bertrand Meyer would like to comment on that?
--

Advanced Computer Research Institute
1, boulevard Marius Vivier-Merle              / Tel +33 72-35-80-55 \

Mon, 25 Sep 1995 17:47:05 GMT
 Why Eiffel is called Eiffel
: Hi man,

:   Because B. Meyer did study a the university of Paris (Sorbonne). Of courdse
:   the Eiffel-tower is pointing to the sky in Paris -- get the idea.

: CYA Ed

Sat, 21 Oct 1995 19:21:23 GMT

1. Eiffel flaw? was: Why not Eiffel

2. Eiffel components: call for new contributions to the Eiffel Shelf

3. Java and Eiffel - Further comments: I am depressed.

4. Letter to Eiffel Vendors: Eiffel and Java

5. Eiffel et Java; Viva Le Eiffel

6. JPN Eiffel 3 for Windows NT, including Eiffel Vision

7. An Eiffel World-Wide-Web entry at eiffel.com

8. Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)

9. Eon/Eiffel - Shareware Eiffel compiler

10. Eiffel Object Representation (Eiffel-OR)

11. Eon/Eiffel - shareware Eiffel