Eiffel books, platform questions
Author Message
 Eiffel books, platform questions

:I'd like to play with Eiffel.
:
:Is there a free Linux compiler/interpreter?
:How about Windows?
:How about books?

I'll leave others to tell you about implementations, but in terms of books,
it depends what you're after. A couple I like are:

1) "Software Engineering in Eiffel" by Jean-Marc Jezequel is good general,
   clear introduction.

2) "Object-oriented Software Construction (2nd ed.) by Bertrand Meyer is a
   comprehensive OO reference covering OO principles, methodology, and explains
   the rationale behind Eiffel. Very big and meaty but divided into self-
   contained sections.

Don.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel books, platform questions

Quote:
> I'd like to play with Eiffel.

> Is there a free Linux compiler/interpreter?

No, although EON Eiffel and Eiffel/S 1.3 are available for Linux as shareware.

Quote:
> How about Windows?

You can get a free time-limited fully-functional evaluation of ISE Eiffel
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

You can get a completely free "Lite" version of Visual Eiffel
for Win95/NT. The free version is restricted to producing console-mode
applications and includes the Visual Workbench but not the de{*filter*}.
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Quote:
> How about books?

There's a list at http://www.*-*-*.com/

For a comprehensive Eiffel reference I suggest "Eiffel The Language". For
a gentler introduction I suggest "Eiffel An Introduction". If you are not
already well-versed in O-O techniques I suggest "Object Oriented Software
Construction" and if you mainly program in C++ you way wish to look at
"Software Development Using Eiffel - there can be life after C++".

Regards,
Roger
-- Roger Browne, 6 Bambers Walk, Wesham, PR4 3DG, UK | Ph 01772-687525
-- Everything Eiffel: http://www.*-*-*.com/ | +44-1772-687525

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel books, platform questions

Quote:
> > I'd like to play with Eiffel.
> > Is there a free Linux compiler/interpreter?
> No, although EON Eiffel and Eiffel/S 1.3 are available for Linux as shareware.

What about Smalleiffel? It's free and works everywhere there's an ANSI C
compiler and library. It has a few limitations but is perfectly adequate
for learning.

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Eiffel books, platform questions

Quote:

> I'd like to play with Eiffel.

> Is there a free Linux compiler/interpreter?

SmallEiffel compiler is free and works on Linux.
Get it from:

 ftp://ftp.loria.fr/pub/loria/genielog/SmallEiffel

...richie

--

*          Home page:   http://www.netlabs.net/hp/richieb          *
*        "Fight software piracy, use free software!" (me)          *

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Eiffel - the platform

2. More useful PLATFORM for EIFFEL?

3. Shared Eiffel Runtime Libs on UnixWare/Solaris platforms

4. Announcement: Version 3.3 of ISE Eiffel, Unix platforms

5. Eiffel/S - platforms

6. ISE Eiffel 3.2: platforms and documentation

7. New platform for ISE Eiffel 3

8. Other platforms for Eiffel/S?

9. ISE Eiffel 3: Platforms

10. Eiffel executables on other platforms

11. New platforms for ISE Eiffel 4.2