GNU Eiffel Compiler source code
Author Message
 GNU Eiffel Compiler source code

 According to the GNU Eiffel website, "SmallEiffel, The GNU Eiffel
 Compiler, is a free open-source Eiffel compiler distributed under
 the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
 Software Foundation."
 [" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;]

 The GPL includes the following language:

 "Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have
 the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this
 service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if
 you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in
 new free programs; and that you know you can do these things."
 [" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;]

 Source code is original program text; original means without
antecedent.

 Evidently, however, much of the source code for the GNU Eiffel Compiler

 is written in Eiffel, yet is absent from the distribution, having been
 put though the SmallEiffel-to-C compiler first [1] and the resulting
 C target code -- referred to in the distribution as "C source code"
 for the executable files built by the installation process [2] --
included instead.

 Is, or is it the intention of the GNU Eiffel Compiler developers to
 make, the Eiffel source code antecedent to this "C source code"
publically
 available on the internet?

 Thank you.

 [Note 1] For example,

 SmallEiffel/bin_c/compile_to_c1.c: (5475 lines)
 ------------------------- quote ----------------------------
 /*
 -- ANSI C code generated by :
 -- SmallEiffel The GNU Eiffel Compiler -- Release (- 0.77)      --
 -- Copyright (C), 1994-98 - LORIA - UHP - CRIN - INRIA - FRANCE --

 --                   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;              --
 */
 #include "compile_to_c.h"

 int se_cmpT197(T197 o1,T197 o2){
 return memcmp(&o1,&o2,sizeof(o1));}

 int se_cmpT68(T68 o1,T68 o2){
 return memcmp(&o1,&o2,sizeof(o1));}

 int se_cmpT107(T107 o1,T107 o2){
 return memcmp(&o1,&o2,sizeof(o1));}
 T143 M143={143,NULL,NULL,NULL};
 T154 M154={154,{NULL,0},NULL};
 T279 M279={NULL,0,0,0};
 T217 M217={217,NULL,NULL};
 T379 M379={379,NULL,0,0,0};
 T318 M318={NULL,0,0,0};
 T309 M309={NULL,0,0,0};
 T184 M184={184,NULL,0,0,0};
 T88 M88={NULL,0,0,0};

 [etc]

 ------------------------ unquote ---------------------------

 [Note 2]

 SmallEiffell/READ_ME:
 ------------------------- quote ----------------------------
 3 - Contents of the SmallEiffel directory -

 3.1 - directory misc : Miscellaneous files, including the INSTALL
files.
 3.2 - directory man : Miscellaneous help files.
 3.3 - directory bin : The place where executable files will be put by
the installation process.
 3.4 - directory bin_c : C source code for tools of the bin directory.
 ------------------------ unquote ---------------------------

 [END-OF-QUESTION]

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 GNU Eiffel Compiler source code

Quote:

> [...]

>  T279 M279={NULL,0,0,0};
>  T217 M217={217,NULL,NULL};
>  T379 M379={379,NULL,0,0,0};
>  T318 M318={NULL,0,0,0};
>  T309 M309={NULL,0,0,0};
>  T184 M184={184,NULL,0,0,0};
>  T88 M88={NULL,0,0,0};

>  [etc]

>  ------------------------ unquote ---------------------------

>  [Note 2]

>  SmallEiffell/READ_ME:
>  ------------------------- quote ----------------------------
>  3 - Contents of the SmallEiffel directory -

>  3.1 - directory misc : Miscellaneous files, including the INSTALL
> files.
>  3.2 - directory man : Miscellaneous help files.
>  3.3 - directory bin : The place where executable files will be put by
> the installation process.
>  3.4 - directory bin_c : C source code for tools of the bin directory.

I think you didn't really research before asking that question. Just
download SmallEiffel (se.tgz) and open a file called "compile_to_c.e". That
should provide what you wanted...
Regards
Remy

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 GNU Eiffel Compiler source code

  I worked on that question quite hard over a period of weeks and I asked it in
good faith.

  I genuinely believed that some of the GNU Eiffel Compiler source code was
absent from the
distribution and given that belief  it seemed to me reasonable to inquire about
its whereabouts in light
of the GPL as I did.

  I don't know how I could have I failed to see what was in the lib_e directory
but I did.

  All I can tell you is that it makes me very happy to find out that the answer
to my question is "yes".

  Thank you.

Quote:

> [...]

> >  [etc]

> >  ------------------------ unquote ---------------------------

> >  [Note 2]

> >  SmallEiffell/READ_ME:
> >  ------------------------- quote ----------------------------
> >  3 - Contents of the SmallEiffel directory -

> >  3.1 - directory misc : Miscellaneous files, including the INSTALL
> > files.
> >  3.2 - directory man : Miscellaneous help files.
> >  3.3 - directory bin : The place where executable files will be put by
> > the installation process.
> >  3.4 - directory bin_c : C source code for tools of the bin directory.
> >  ------------------------ unquote ---------------------------

> >  [END-OF-QUESTION]

> I think you didn't really research before asking that question. Just
> download SmallEiffel (se.tgz) and open a file called "compile_to_c.e". That

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. GNU Eiffel 3 Compiler...

2. GNU Eiffel Compiler?

3. LORIA ANNOUNCES RELEASE 1.0 OF SMARTEIFFEL, THE GNU EIFFEL COMPILER

4. LORIA ANNOUNCES RELEASE -0.74 OF SMALLEIFFEL, THE GNU EIFFEL COMPILER

5. LORIA ANNOUNCES RELEASE 1.0 OF SMARTEIFFEL, THE GNU EIFFEL COMPILER

6. LORIA ANNOUNCES RELEASE -0.74 OF SMALLEIFFEL, THE GNU EIFFEL COMPILER

7. Release -0.79 of SmallEiffel The GNU Eiffel Compiler

8. SmallEiffel The GNU Eiffel Compiler -0.77

9. GNU Cygwin compiler for Eiffel on Windows ???

10. SmallEiffel The GNU Eiffel Compiler

11. Code for new GNU Emacs Eiffel mode with better indenting (long)

12. Source for Eiffel compilers?