Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
Author Message
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

Date: Monday, October 2nd, 1995, full day

Subject: Making maximum use of GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
application needs.

The workshop is held in conjunction with the Conference Ada in Europe
1995, to be held on October 2-6, 1995, in Frankfurt.

Scientific Organizers:

Contact: Robert B. K. Dewar
         New York University
         251 Mercer St. NYC, NY 10012
         212-998-3498

Deadline for user reports: August 20, 1995

Workshop Overview

The purpose of this workshop is to bring together GNAT implementors and
users (including prospect users), both from industry and academia, to
discuss how to make best use of this important freely available tool.

What is GNAT?

GNAT is a new front end for the GCC compiler system that provides a
complete implementation of Ada 95, including all the annexes. GCC
provides a platform for multiple targets, including cross compilers.
Ports of GNAT are currently available for the following machines and
environments: IBM PC: OS/2, NT, Solaris, Nextstep, SCO Unix,
DOS/Windows, Windows/95, Linux, FreeBSD; Sparc: SunOS, Solaris; SGI:
Irix 4, Irix 5; Alpha: OSF1 2.0, OSF1 3.0; HP: HPUX; Decstation:
Ultrix; RS6000: AIX; Amiga: DOS; 1750A.

Several other ports are underway. This wide variety of platforms means
that nearly everyone can obtain a version of GNAT to run on their
machines, meaning that Ada 95 is available at no cost to the entire
community.

At this workshop, there will be tutorials at both the basic and
advanced levels on how to make the best use of GNAT. As is the case
with any complex piece of software, a good working knowledge of the
basic structure of the system can be very useful in understanding how
to make it work at its best.

The remainder of the workshop will consist of reports from users of
GNAT who will describe how they managed to take advantage of GNAT. The
following questions will be answered in this context:

- How did I use GNAT;
- What are its strengths and weaknesses;
- How to make best use of GNAT.

User reports

Interested individuals are invited to contact the workshop organizers
as soon as possible and to submit later on a user report, outlining their
experience with GNAT.

Organizational issues:

The workshop is held in conjunction with the Conference Ada in Europe
1995, to be held on October 2-6, 1995, in Frankfurt. The conference
organization handles all clerical matters, such as registration to the
conference, to the workshop, reservation of accommodation. There is a
small nominal fee for participating in the workshop of FF 500 (appr $ 100),
including breaks and lunch. For more information, please contact:

Ms. Rosy PLET, Public Relations
EUROSPACE
16 bis, avenue Bosquet
75007 PARIS, FRANCE
Tel. +33 (1) 45 55 83 53    Fax. +33 (1) 45 51 99 23

Sat, 20 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

deletions:

Quote:
>Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
>Date: Monday, October 2nd, 1995, full day
>Subject: Making maximum use of GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
>application needs.
>The workshop is held in conjunction with the Conference Ada in Europe
>1995, to be held on October 2-6, 1995, in Frankfurt.

Please stop posting this stuff to comp.lang.eiffel.  If anyone cared,
they'd read comp.lang.ada anyway.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

CEC Services, 2080 Kipling St, Lakewood, CO  80215-1502   U S A
Voice: 303.231.9437;  Facs: .231.9438;  ISDN: .462.1107 & .1448
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sat, 20 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
Excuse me, but isn't it a bit too much to post all these Ada postings
to all comp.lang.* groups? I would say, comp.object,comp.lang,
comp.lang.ada,comp.programming,comp.realtime,comp.software,comp.software-eng,
comp.sw,comp.sw.components,comp.object,ch.general,ch.si.general,
epfl.general and di.general should suffice ... ! ...

Ole
--
Ole Villumsen, Computer Science Department, Aarhus University, Denmark

Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

 Excuse me, but isn't it a bit too much to post all these Ada postings
   Ole

I also feel that it is a ....little...TOO MUCH....

 Philippe Allenbach

Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler
Actually I think conference postings are the one thing that *is* reasonable
to cross-post to related groups. For instance it seems OK to post
announcements of C++ and Eiffel conferences to comp.lang.ada. There
aren't many such announcements, so it doesn't make much noise, and I
for one am interested to know about such conferences, even though I
certainly have no interest in reading the C++ or Eiffel newsgroups.

Anyway, it is usually better to just let such postings go by rather than
post complaints about them (I realize that this post itself violates
the rule, but is the last I will comment on the general topic).

Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

Quote:
>Actually I think conference postings are the one thing that *is* reasonable
>to cross-post to related groups. For instance it seems OK to post
>announcements of C++ and Eiffel conferences to comp.lang.ada. There
>aren't many such announcements, so it doesn't make much noise, and I
>for one am interested to know about such conferences, even though I
>certainly have no interest in reading the C++ or Eiffel newsgroups.
>Anyway, it is usually better to just let such postings go by rather than
>post complaints about them (I realize that this post itself violates
>the rule, but is the last I will comment on the general topic).

Good.  Now Dr Dewar has had the last word !

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

CEC Services, 2080 Kipling St, Lakewood, CO  80215-1502   U S A
Voice: 303.231.9437;  Facs: .231.9438;  ISDN: .462.1107 & .1448
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mon, 22 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

2. Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

3. Workshop on GNAT, the GNU NYU Ada 95 compiler

4. New Release of GNAT (GNU Ada 95) and Other DOS Goodies

5. LGL Seminar: GNU Ada 95 and Mixed Language Programming with Ada 95

6. LGL Seminar: GNU Ada 95 and Mixed Language Programming with Ada 95

7. DOS GNAT or Win95/NT GNAT? (Ada 95)

8. GNAT Ada and Cygnus GNU compilers

9. GNU-NYU Ada project

10. Converting VADS Ada 83 for powerPC VxWorks to Gnat Ada 95 for

11. converting VADS Ada 83 code to GNAT Ada 95

12. Ada 83 or 95 Compiler for Windows 95 or NT