A good book to learn Eiffel on ?
Author Message
 A good book to learn Eiffel on ?

Well,
for sure this is a FAQ... Please give advice anyway !

Sun, 03 Nov 1996 18:47:14 GMT
 A good book to learn Eiffel on ?

Quote:

>Well,
>for sure this is a FAQ... Please give advice anyway !

If you're a relative newbie to OO, then you should start with
Meyer's _Object Oriented Software Construction_. The Eiffel examples
are out of date, but this is still the best general intro to OO
that I know. We use it as the main text in our OO course regardless
of whether the projects are done in Eiffel or C++.

For an up to date intro to Eiffel, the only book (as far as I know)
available right now is Switzer's _Eiffel: An Introduction_ which
is a nice little book that covers all the important features of
the language, with examples of each. I believe there will be two more
books out in the near future. One of these is a CS1 text, while
the other is aimed more at folks with considerable programming experience.
I don't want to name the authors in a public forum as I don't
want to cause the individuals any embarrassment should their projects
fall through. However I will say that Bertrand is not the author of
either of these two (he's working on some other stuff).

For more information you could contact Prentice-Hall which is handling
all four of these books.

Hope this helps,
-- Jim
--

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Jim McKim  (203)-548-2458     In exactly 3.2 seconds it will be a few

Mon, 04 Nov 1996 22:46:58 GMT
 A good book to learn Eiffel on ?
A few months ago, some disillusioned students sharply criticized
"Eiffel: The Language" as a textbook, and some experienced Eiffelists agreed
that for student use ETL would be better used as a reference manual in
conjunction with, say, Switzer's "Eiffel An Introduction" as a textbook.

Just to show the other side of the coin, I'm sure that K.J.Parry
won't mind me quoting part of a letter he sent to me...

Quote:
> I am relatively new to programming. My main interest has been in
> mathematics. I was drawn towards Eiffel by the book
> Eiffel: The Language; a book which I consider to be the best
> manual I have come across. There is no fear here of
> inductive definitions...

It just shows that the "ideal book" depends on the reader as well as
on the book!

Regards,
Roger.
--
-- Roger Browne, 6 Bambers Walk, Wesham, PR4 3DG, UK   | Ph 0772-687525
-- Everything Eiffel: compilers/libraries/publications | +44-772-687525

Tue, 03 Dec 1996 21:22:30 GMT

1. Books, Learning Eiffel, Computer Science

2. good book for learning Smalltalk?

3. What is best book to learn smalltalk

4. good book to learn clipper

5. Looking for Good detailed book to learn COBOL from

6. Best programing book for learning Rexx on VM/CMS Mainframe

7. Good book for learning Tk (w/ Ruby)?

8. Any good books for learning XSCHEME

9. Good books for learning VRML 2.0

10. good verilog book or online link to learn for begineer

11. I am just learning verilog any good books or websites

12. Good book(s) to learn ASM?