Writing an Eiffel compiler
Author Message
 Writing an Eiffel compiler

I'm considering writing an Eiffel compiler for GNU, partly because I'd
like to write a compiler, partly because I want to try out Eiffel, and
partly because the mainframe version is way out of my price range :-).
This is to anyone who has seen an Eiffel compiler actually
implemented.  The ultimate, of course, is to write the compiler itself
in Eiffel, but since I can't, what intermediate language would you
suggest?  I want to write it in an object-oriented language, but the
only two I know well are Common Lisp and C++.  Common Lisp is
conceptually clean and has a garbage collector, but C++ has static
checking and I don't like C++ very much.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for any replies.  I'm considering writing a small static
checker for CL so I can remove my main concern -- I'm wondering if
there are any better solutions.
--
Steve Boswell         | "Now drop and give me infinity pushups!"

Sun, 30 Jan 1994 12:36:14 GMT
 Writing an Eiffel compiler

Boswell):

Quote:
> I'm considering writing an Eiffel compiler for GNU, partly because I'd
> like to write a compiler, partly because I want to try out Eiffel, and
> partly because the mainframe version is way out of my price range :-).
> The ultimate, of course, is to write the compiler itself
> in Eiffel, but since I can't, what intermediate language would you
> suggest?

Just to set the record straight:

Although this was not publicized (there was no reason to),
two separate persons have approached ISE over the past two
years, indicating their desire to undertake a GNU-Eiffel project.
These were individual initiatives and I don't think the
persons in question had involved the Free Software Foundation
as an organization.

In both cases we said we would support the idea and pledged a
free copy of ISE's compiler.

In both cases, for different reasons, the intended efforts
did not materialize. We certainly regret this.

We'll be more than happy to provide the same help to Mr. Boswell.

-- Bertrand Meyer
Interactive Software Engineering Inc., Santa Barbara

Mon, 31 Jan 1994 03:12:02 GMT

1. Writing an Eiffel compiler as a course project?

2. Writing test cases in Eiffel; XP for Eiffel

3. Eon/Eiffel - Shareware Eiffel compiler

4. The J-Eiffel project (Eiffel-to-Java compiler)

5. Small Programs written in SmallTalk or Eiffel

6. Announcment: Writing WWW CGI Programs in Tower Eiffel

7. New Freeware written in Eiffel!

8. Hpmodeset v2.0 - Printer control utility written in Eiffel

9. Products written in Eiffel?

10. write an orb corba in eiffel ?

11. Release of emc, anti-spam utility for IMAP servers written in Eiffel

12. Small Programs written in SmallTalk or Eiffel