Eiffel, UNICODE & GOANNA
Author Message
 Eiffel, UNICODE & GOANNA

We want to build a Windows GUI application using SOAP to communicate
with our back-end and/or middleware and ability to handle data stored
in UNICODE. We have already used Eiffel 4.5 on Solaris and are very
content with it but we have no experience of Eiffel on Windows. Has
anyone used in a real project Eiffel for, or with, the following:

1) Building Windows GUI applications - Vision2 or what else?
2) GOANNA(eiffel SOAP library)
3) UNICODE(how do we handle it in widgets?)
4) ODBC

Alternatively, has any one used .NET + Eiffel#? If so, what do they
think?

Best regards

Zak

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:30:00 GMT
 Eiffel, UNICODE & GOANNA

Quote:
> We want to build a Windows GUI application using SOAP to communicate
> with our back-end and/or middleware and ability to handle data stored
> in UNICODE. We have already used Eiffel 4.5 on Solaris and are very
> content with it but we have no experience of Eiffel on Windows. Has
> anyone used in a real project Eiffel for, or with, the following:

> 1) Building Windows GUI applications - Vision2 or what else?

We're using WEL, but will switch to Vision2. (we're also using CORBA)

Quote:
> 2) GOANNA(eiffel SOAP library)

Why SOAP?

Quote:
> 3) UNICODE(how do we handle it in widgets?)

We're using UNICODE, but not in widgets. You could provide a layer between
your model and UI which translates between model representation (unicode)
and gui representation, if feasable. Others may have better solutions to
this.

Quote:
> 4) ODBC

We're using EiffelStore, but have experience with ECLI through an OSS
project we're particpating in. EiffelStore for ODBC is ok, but it has some
buglets that needs to be ironed out. ECLI seems to work ok.

Quote:

> Alternatively, has any one used .NET + Eiffel#? If so, what do they
> think?

Haven't, but it seems like an interesting alternative.

Quote:

> Best regards

> Zak

-- eirik
"If I can't Eiffel in heaven, I won't go"

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:01:27 GMT
 Eiffel, UNICODE & GOANNA

Quote:
> 2) GOANNA(eiffel SOAP library)

SOAP is still Alpha in Goanna. Contrary to what everyone says, the SOAP spec
is not easy to implement and it is still moving. The SOAP classes have been
on hold for a while because I've been implementing log4e and XML-RPC.

XML-RPC in Goanna _was_ easy to implement. The latest CVS version of Goanna
includes the complete XML-RPC library and a number of client and server
examples. You might consider this library as an intermediate step for your
project rather than SOAP.

Best Regards,
Glenn.

Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:48:43 GMT

1. New 0.2 release of Goanna - The Eiffel Web Application Framework

2. eiffel grammar & comp.lang.eiffel archive sought

3. Eiffel F & Visual Eiffel

4. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

5. Unicode & EditField (Mac OS X)

6. Anyone using Goanna?

7. Goanna Log4E 1.0 released.

8. Goanna Release 0.4 (incorporating XML-RPC and Log4E)

9. Goanna 0.3 Released

10. Goanna Home Page

11. Project Goanna Proof-of-Concept Released

12. F2k: Character(Kind=2) & UNICODE