open source software issues
Author Message
 open source software issues

Quote:

>[..]

>> I have a software project that I'm considering making open source;
>> and I have two questions.  First:  What are the various advantages and
>> disadvantages (to me, to the community) of releasing under the
>> different licenses (GPL libGPL, Berkeley, Artistic, Mozilla-like, etc.)?

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>There is a lot to consider as this ``definitive'' document by Frank Hecker
>details:

> * ``Setting Up Shop: The Business of Open-Source Software''

>     http://www.*-*-*.com/

                        .
                        .
                        .
Good reference.  I'll also recommend <URL:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, which
defines and justifies "Open Source".
--

Cameron Laird           http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~claird/home.html

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 open source software issues

Quote:

>>[..]

>>> I have a software project that I'm considering making open source;
>>> and I have two questions.  First:  What are the various advantages and
>>> disadvantages (to me, to the community) of releasing under the
>>> different licenses (GPL libGPL, Berkeley, Artistic, Mozilla-like, etc.)?
>                    .
>                    .
>                    .
>>There is a lot to consider as this ``definitive'' document by Frank Hecker
>>details:

>> * ``Setting Up Shop: The Business of Open-Source Software''

>>     http://people.netscape.com/hecker/setting-up-shop.html
>                    .
>                    .
>                    .
>Good reference.  I'll also recommend <URL:
>http://www.opensource.org/osd.html>, which
>defines and justifies "Open Source".

                        .
                        .
                        .
There's more.  Stig Hackv?n is working on a book for O'Reilly, pre-
sumably an expansion of <URL:http://devlinux.org/licensing-intro.html>.
I think other chapters will appear near <URL:http://devlinux.org/toc.html>.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fwd: Open Source issue of Release 1.0

2. Ericsson releases Open Source Robust Web Site Software

3. commerce, fp, Open Source Software(tm) (was: Re: Functional , compilers in the mainstream)

4. Algol 68 on Linux -- Open Source software

5. Results of Sunworld Survey on Open Source Software

6. Open Source Design Competition - Software Carpentry

7. OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE CONVENTION, AUGUST 21-24, MONTEREY, CA

8. Open Source software study

9. M2Amiga released as Open Source Software

10. O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention