Cool developments in SmallEiffel
Author Message
 Cool developments in SmallEiffel

For those of you who've not been paying close attention, there are
some interesting developments with the latest Beta releases of
SmallEiffel.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

In addition to agents, which is very exciting technology, and tuples,
which were in the -0.75 release, SmallEiffel now creates anonymous
creation. I didn't see any mention to this in the history document
above, but I did stumble across it by accident in one of the example
programs that comes with the SE distribution at

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Anonymous creation makes it possible to declare, for example a linked
list of linked lists of real numbers wihout having to declare holding
variable for any of the intermediate values. Such an example would
look like this:

class LL
   creation make

   feature
      b  : LINKED_LIST[COLLECTION[REAL]]  -- list of lists [1]
      make is do
       create b.from_collection
       ( << create {LINKED_LIST[REAL]}.from_collection
            ( << 3.2, 3.33, 3.4 >> ),
            create {LINKED_LIST[REAL]}.from_collection
            (  << 2.1, 2.2 >> ),
            create {LINKED_LIST[REAL]}.from_collection
            ( << 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 >> )

            )

          -- Now access the third element of the third
          -- list (should equal 1.2)
          --
          io.put_string (b.item(3).item(3).to_string)
     end -- make

I consider this example a little extreme, but there is certainly a
place in my heart for anonymous creation. The SmallEiffel project has
been making amazing progress in the last year, and it certainly
deserves more attention.

Greg

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 05:14:28 GMT
 Cool developments in SmallEiffel

Quote:
>I consider this example a little extreme, but there is certainly a
>place in my heart for anonymous creation. The SmallEiffel project has
>been making amazing progress in the last year, and it certainly
>deserves more attention.

Excuse me for the question but where did you find the name "anonymous
creation" for this. In the eiffel texts i read (Journal of object
oriented programming) it is always described as "creation expression".

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:01:17 GMT
 Cool developments in SmallEiffel

Quote:

> >I consider this example a little extreme, but there is certainly a
> >place in my heart for anonymous creation. The SmallEiffel project has
> >been making amazing progress in the last year, and it certainly
> >deserves more attention.

> Excuse me for the question but where did you find the name "anonymous
> creation" for this. In the eiffel texts i read (Journal of object
> oriented programming) it is always described as "creation expression".

Artistic license?

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:23:56 GMT
 Cool developments in SmallEiffel

Quote:

>>I consider this example a little extreme, but there is certainly a
>>place in my heart for anonymous creation. The SmallEiffel project has
>>been making amazing progress in the last year, and it certainly
>>deserves more attention.

>Excuse me for the question but where did you find the name "anonymous
>creation" for this. In the eiffel texts i read (Journal of object
>oriented programming) it is always described as "creation expression".

Phew, I thought I was going crazy.  :-)

Patrick Doyle

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:04:25 GMT

1. Cool jobs going at a cool company....

2. wxPython Article (in German) in new development magazin: sw-development

3. Alright, COOL IT already! (was Re: "Microsoft set to unleash Java-killer Cool")

4. Cool Demos!!!

5. This is Cool 85931

6. Cool articles from IBM

7. FS/A: Cool rare SMALLTALK stuff, don't miss out, NeXT and BeOS stuff too

8. this is cool

9. Cool forums for awk

10. Stong Objective Evidence - Percarlo, please cool it

11. New cool internet notepad utility!