flows and call-stack ...
Author Message
 flows and call-stack ...

there was a question similar to this one for ada.  if you
have a complex eiffel program, what can one do to generate
a flow of the program execution?  for ada somebody mentioned
something about GRASP.

second, if you're writing a complex program, a call-stack
dump might be helpful to debug.  i saw this idea in a MENTOR
CAD program once: it ran into a bug and terminated but first
did a call-stack-dump from the point where the bug occured.
can the realtime system in eiffel be changed or whatever to
accomplish this?

here's a dumb example: (kind of like a trace-back in GDB):

int factor(int g: 56, float count: 2);
String doPercent(String format: "this is it", int g:56, float count:2);
.
. all the way out to main (or whatever the entry funcion is)
.

maybe an object can dump itself if called by something in the runtime
system if, for example, abort() or exit() or a non-rescued exception
occurs?

just thinkin'
shane miller
geferan systems

804.673.4966      | going with you.  Never get the order mixed up.
Beware of the software trap: because I can do x, I should be doing x

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 flows and call-stack ...

Quote:
Shane Miller writes:
> ... a call-stack
> dump might be helpful to debug.  i saw this idea in a MENTOR
> CAD program once: it ran into a bug and terminated but first
> did a call-stack-dump from the point where the bug occured.
> can the realtime system in eiffel be changed or whatever to
> accomplish this?
> maybe an object can dump itself if called by something in the runtime
> system if, for example, abort() or exit() or a non-rescued exception
> occurs?

Most commercial Eiffel compilers can do this "out of the box" with
the correct compilation options, either as a dump or interactively
through the de{*filter*}.

Regards,
Roger
-- Roger Browne, 6 Bambers Walk, Wesham, PR4 3DG, UK | Ph 01772-687525
-- Everything Eiffel: http://www.*-*-*.com/ | +44-1772-687525

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 flows and call-stack ...

Dear Shane,

In ISE Eiffel, these functionalities are integrated to EiffelBench (GUI of
the compiler). When a crash occurs, you can browse through the objects to
look at the values of their attributes and once functions. You can also go
down or up in the calling stack. If the system is launched apart from
EiffelBench, you will still get a calling stack trace that will help your
developers to find the bug.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards,

Raphael Simon.

ISE Customer support
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117
805-685-1006, fax 805-685-6869,

http://www.eiffel.com

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. RFI: Control-flow Stack

2. Control-flow stack which may not exist

3. Q. WHAT is the Control Flow Stack?

4. Where is the Control Flow Stack?

5. Who invented the control-flow stack?

6. 32bit NT dll calls and the call stack

7. Api Call to detect web flow

8. Recursive calls (without implementing a stack)

9. Recursive CALLs and Stack Size

10. RFC: Need a better caller(n) - real reflection for call stack wanted

11. ADA Call Tree and Stack Analysis

12. build a call stack