Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)
Author Message
 Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)

Matt Kennel writes

Quote:
> What about Sather's iters?  That is the nicest way that I've seen to
> do loops.

> All the "init", "step" and "exit" critera are user-programmable in
> 'iters', which are written like class routines.

> For example,

> loop
>    x := collection.elt!;
>    -- each 'x' is an element of the collection.
> end;

1.  I don't like it when functions have side-effects.

2.  I don't like it when routines alter control in the caller as
    part of their normal behavior (as opposed to exceptions -- REAL
    exceptions, not the use of raise/handle pairs as thinly disguised gotos).

3.  The above example combines the problems of #1 and #2 above with superb
    elegance.

Jacob
---

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 23:37:29 GMT

1. Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)

2. Professional Eiffel vs. Linux Eiffel

3. ISE Eiffel vs. Visual Eiffel

4. _Free_ Eiffel 4 Windows vs _ _ Eiffel for Linux

5. ISE Eiffel 4 gripes

6. Eiffel vs. Ada

7. [++] Re: Ada vs Eiffel

8. Ada vs. Eiffel

9. Eiffel vs. Ada

10. [++] Re: Ada vs Eiffel

11. Ada vs. Eiffel

12. C++ vs Eiffel vs Smalltalk (warning--long language war)