C++?? Critique 3rd edition available
Author Message
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
comparisons
to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.
You
can get it as follows:

Browser addresses:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~geldridg/cpp/cppcv3.html -- Australasia
ftp://ftp.brown.edu/pub/c++/C++-Critique-3ed.PS      -- U.S. East
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/doc/lang/cpp.crit.ps.gz           -- France/Europe
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~w3arc/fr/groupe-de-travail/cpp/cpp.crit.ps.gz  --
France/Europe
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~alexb/study/cppv3.ps.gz        -- Europe
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~alexb/study/cppv3.ps.Z         -- Europe
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; --
Germany/Europe
ftp://ftp.neurop2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/pub/sather/papers/cppv3.ps.gz --
Germany/Europe
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~rew/doc/C++-Critique-3ed.PS.gz  -- U.S.
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~laden/Oberon/bib-full.html#LanguageCompari...
-- Europe

ftp details:

U.S East Brown University:

      Machine:       ftp.brown.edu
      Directory:     /pub/c++
      File:          C++-Critique-3ed.PS
      Browser:   ftp://ftp.brown.edu/pub/c++/C++-Critique-3ed.PS

U.S West Indiana University:

      Hours:         AFTER 6pm Eastern US Please
      Machine:       moose.cs.indiana.edu
      IP #           129.79.254.191
      Directory:     pub
      GZIP:        ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/cpp.crit/cppv3.ps.gz
      Compressed:  ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/cpp.crit/cppv3.ps.Z

France/Europe IRISA/CNRS:

      Machine:       irisa.irisa.fr
      IP #           131.254.254.2
      Directory:     pub/c++_critique
      GZIPPed:   cppv3.ps.gs   (456K)
      Compressed cppv3.ps.Z  (535K)
      Browser:
ftp://ftp.irisa.fr/pub/c++_critique/cppv3.ps.gs          -- GZIPped
456K
      Browser:
ftp://ftp.irisa.fr/pub/c++_critique/cppv3.ps.Z          --  Unix
compressed  535K

--
Ian Joyner           |"for when lenity and cruelty play   |All opinions
are

official comment

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

>The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
>comparisons
>to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

Is it available in some other than postscript form? I would prefer just
plain ASCII or MSWORD.
Michael Furman,                       (603)893-1109
Geophysical Survey Systems, Inc.  fax:(603)889-3984

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

> >The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
> >comparisons
> >to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

> Is it available in some other than postscript form? I would prefer just
> plain ASCII or MSWORD.

Alas, no. However, to everyone who does not have a postscript printer,
I recommend gsview. You can search for it on the WEB under 'gsview'
(Alta Vista finds it). I am not sure if this also allows you to print
out to a non-postscript printer. I would hope so though.
--
Ian Joyner           |"for when lenity and cruelty play   |All opinions
are
Unisys (ACUS)        | for a kingdom, the gentler gamester|personal and
are not

official comment

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:
>The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
>comparisons
>to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.
>You
>can get it as follows:
>Browser addresses:
>http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~geldridg/cpp/cppcv3.html -- Australasia
>ftp://ftp.brown.edu/pub/c++/C++-Critique-3ed.PS      -- U.S. East
>ftp://ftp.inria.fr/doc/lang/cpp.crit.ps.gz           -- France/Europe
>http://www.lirmm.fr/~w3arc/fr/groupe-de-travail/cpp/cpp.crit.ps.gz  --
>France/Europe
>http://www.csd.uu.se/~alexb/study/cppv3.ps.gz        -- Europe
>http://www.csd.uu.se/~alexb/study/cppv3.ps.Z         -- Europe
>http://www.neurop2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/personal/cozzi/sather.html   --
>Germany/Europe
>ftp://ftp.neurop2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/pub/sather/papers/cppv3.ps.gz --
>Germany/Europe
>http://www.hsv.tis.net/~rew/doc/C++-Critique-3ed.PS.gz  -- U.S.
>http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~laden/Oberon/bib-full.html#LanguageCompari...
>-- Europe

This is an excellent article - some 60 pages long - which deserves a very wide
audience.

There is now  a copy on www.doc.mmu.ac.uk/STAFF/J.Tyrrell/cplus.ps
and a link  from my home page, www.doc.mmu.ac.uk/STAFF/J.Tyrrell which
provides a few extracts from the article.(I shall add to these).

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:
> Alas, no. However, to everyone who does not have a postscript printer,
> I recommend gsview. You can search for it on the WEB under 'gsview'
> (Alta Vista finds it). I am not sure if this also allows you to print
> out to a non-postscript printer. I would hope so though.

I use it, and printing postscript on non-postscript printers is exactly
what it does. I recommend using it, as many, many documents on the Web are
in postscript. Expect to download about 5 MB, and about ten minutes to
install (you have to set a few paths, and the setup isn't fool-proof). I
know it works for any LaserJet Series II compatible, even for ancient
ones.

Regards,
-Joachim

--
Looking for a new job. Resume available on request. WWW version of resume
available under http://www.franken.de/users/herold/jhd/resume/index.html

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

> The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
> comparisons
> to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

I have not been aware of this document before. Most impressive; many
thanks. I have always remarked about the lack of objective material on
object-oriented programming; most of the good writers seem to be selling
something: a language, a compiler, a book on a language ...

Now you are making me question the very ethics of teaching OOP via C++.
I suppose I can weakly justify the choice by reasoning that many of my
students will end up using C++, hence I can help them by teaching how to
use it properly. Another related, but weak, justification is the student
perception of C++ as the langauge 'where the action is', and hence
increased likelihood of taking the course seriously; in the past, I
have, in the manner of a devils advocate, used this argument for C vs.
Modula-2. Neither argument is very scientific, I agree; both are more or
less based on the (wrong) assumption that our graduates will only ever
learn/use one langauge.

Best regards, and many thanks.

Jon Campbell.

--
Jonathan G. Campbell, ISC/ISE, University of Ulster, Magee College,
Derry, BT48 7JL, Northern Ireland. tel +44 1504 375367, fax 370040.

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Now, a good question would be if your reasons for teaching C++ were
obviated by appearance of Java... While the language itself is not exactly
perfect, it is definitely the place 'where the action is'.

Quote:

> > The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
> > comparisons
> > to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

> I have not been aware of this document before. Most impressive; many
> thanks. I have always remarked about the lack of objective material on
> object-oriented programming; most of the good writers seem to be selling
> something: a language, a compiler, a book on a language ...

> Now you are making me question the very ethics of teaching OOP via C++.
> I suppose I can weakly justify the choice by reasoning that many of my
> students will end up using C++, hence I can help them by teaching how to
> use it properly. Another related, but weak, justification is the student
> perception of C++ as the langauge 'where the action is', and hence
> increased likelihood of taking the course seriously; in the past, I
> have, in the manner of a devils advocate, used this argument for C vs.
> Modula-2. Neither argument is very scientific, I agree; both are more or
> less based on the (wrong) assumption that our graduates will only ever
> learn/use one langauge.

> Best regards, and many thanks.

> Jon Campbell.

> --
> Jonathan G. Campbell, ISC/ISE, University of Ulster, Magee College,
> Derry, BT48 7JL, Northern Ireland. tel +44 1504 375367, fax 370040.

Sun, 09 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

>> The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
>> comparisons
>> to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.
>I have not been aware of this document before. Most impressive; many
>thanks. I have always remarked about the lack of objective material on
>object-oriented programming; most of the good writers seem to be selling
>something: a language, a compiler, a book on a language ...

I am glad you liked it. I have been urging Ian Joyner to publish it - it is
the best thing I have come across on the subject and should be drawn to the
attention of  everybody who is trying to teach OOP using C++ - and to
everybody who thinks that OOP = C++.

Quote:
>Now you are making me question the very ethics of teaching OOP

via C++.>I suppose I can weakly justify the choice by reasoning that many of my

Quote:
>students will end up using C++, hence I can help them by teaching how to
>use it properly. Another related, but weak, justification is the student
>perception of C++ as the langauge 'where the action is', and hence
>increased likelihood of taking the course seriously; in the past, I
>have, in the manner of a devils advocate, used this argument for C vs.
>Modula-2. Neither argument is very scientific, I agree; both are more or
>less based on the (wrong) assumption that our graduates will only ever
>learn/use one langauge.

Having for some time taught Eiffel I have found a number of former students
who now come back to me and say:

1) they stil have not found anything that comes up to Eiffel
2) when forced to use C++ they think in Eiffel - and feel that the exposure to
Eiffel has made them better C++ programmers.

The main critics of Eiffel have been those who can't do it - and imagine that
they would have done better had C++ been taught.

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

> >> The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
> >> comparisons
> >> to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

> >I have not been aware of this document before. Most impressive; many
> >thanks. I have always remarked about the lack of objective material on
> >object-oriented programming; most of the good writers seem to be selling
> >something: a language, a compiler, a book on a language ...

> I am glad you liked it. I have been urging Ian Joyner to publish it - it is
> the best thing I have come across on the subject and should be drawn to the
> attention of  everybody who is trying to teach OOP using C++ - and to
> everybody who thinks that OOP = C++.

You can access it through:

http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~geldridg/cpp/cppcv3.html

This gives you a list of sites, where it is available so you can get it
from
one near you. Postscript only at this stage.
--
Ian Joyner        |"for when lenity and cruelty play   |All opinions are
Please REPLY TO   | for a kingdom, the gentler gamester|personal and are

comment

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

> >> The 3rd edition of the C++ Critique is now available, including
> >> comparisons
> >> to Java and Eiffel. It also includes templates, RTTI, new casts, etc.

Where can I get a copy of this document please...

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

Quote:

> Where can I get a copy of this document please...

There are now lots of sites. They can all be accessed via:

http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~geldridg/cpp/cppcv3.html

There might be more sites. If so please let me know so I can add your
site
to the list, as many have interesing OO related stuff.
--
Ian Joyner        |"for when lenity and cruelty play   |All opinions are
Please REPLY TO:  | for a kingdom, the gentler gamester|personal and are
not

comment

Fri, 21 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. C++?? Critique 3rd edition Available

2. C++?? Critique 3rd edition available

3. C++ Critique 3rd edition available

4. Book Available: Fortran IV 3rd edition

5. C++?? Critique available in HTML WEB format

6. C++?? Critique available in HTML WEB format

7. C++?? Critique available in HTML WEB format

8. C++?? Critique available in HTML WEB format

9. C++?? Critique available in HTML WEB format

10. Starting Forth - 3rd Edition

11. ANNOUNCE: Haskell Communities and Activities Report (3rd edition, November 2002)

12. PO 3rd edition subscription list