Balanced Binary Tree
Author Message
 Balanced Binary Tree

Hi,

I'm new to Eiffel and would like some advice/insights.  I'm
trying to derive a balanced binary tree (AVL tree) from the
ISE Eiffel library binary_search_tree data structure.

I guess the trouble I'm having is that when I've implemented
AVL trees in C++ I relied on the C++ feature of being able
to pass addresses of objects to functions and have those
functions dereference the object.  Which I don't think Eiffel
supports (I can't find any reference to this in 'Eiffel the
Language').  Hence,  my C++ code (and my way of thinking about
programs) doesn't map easily onto the Eiffel language.

If anybody knows the location of code for implementing a
balanced binary tree in Eiffel I would be interested.

Jon Spragg
--
Jon Spragg, Visiting Professor,          Tel.: +46 060 14 87 82
Institutionen f?r informationsteknologi, Fax.: +46 060 14 88 00

Sundsvall, Sweden.                       Web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jon

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Balanced Binary Tree

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm new to Eiffel and would like some advice/insights.  I'm
> trying to derive a balanced binary tree (AVL tree) from the
> ISE Eiffel library binary_search_tree data structure.

(There is an AVL tree in the Eiffel Booch components delivered with
TowerEiffel. These components are freely available (according to the
license I have seen)).

Quote:

> I guess the trouble I'm having is that when I've implemented
> AVL trees in C++ I relied on the C++ feature of being able
> to pass addresses of objects to functions and have those
> functions dereference the object.  Which I don't think Eiffel
> supports (I can't find any reference to this in 'Eiffel the
> Language').  Hence,  my C++ code (and my way of thinking about
> programs) doesn't map easily onto the Eiffel language.

The only "address" I can imagine that you need is "Current", a
reference to the current object. In general you don't pass pointers in
Eiffel, but references to objects.

Quote:

> If anybody knows the location of code for implementing a
> balanced binary tree in Eiffel I would be interested.

Ulrich

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Balanced binary tree in Haskell

2. Balanced binary tree in Haskell

3. wanted, balanced binary tree package

4. avl-2.0, a balanced binary tree extension

5. n-ary/balanced binary trees in Common Lisp

6. looking for balancing (binary/avl) tree programs

7. Self-Adjusting Binary Search Trees (Splay Trees)

8. Self-Adjusting Binary Search Trees (Splay Trees)

9. AVL Tree,Binary Tree,Sorting..

10. balanced tree routines in Scheme/LISP

11. Balanced trees and quotient set

12. Balanced trees