Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?
Author Message
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Prentice-Hall (800-922-0579) confirmed this morning (11/4) what my local
bookstore had told me: Printing of the second edition of
"Object-Oriented Software Construction" (ISBN 0-13-629155-4) has been
canceled in the US, i.e. will not take place.  Tell me it ain't so!
---------------
John H. Fuller
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Quote:

> Prentice-Hall (800-922-0579) confirmed this morning (11/4) what my local
> bookstore had told me: Printing of the second edition of
> "Object-Oriented Software Construction" (ISBN 0-13-629155-4) has been
> canceled in the US, i.e. will not take place.  Tell me it ain't so!

It ain't so. The second edition is finished and is being
printed. Whoever talked to you did not know what he was
talking about.

The second edition is a two-color book, with the full hyperlinked
text and additional material on a CD. It has far more material
than the first edition, goes much more in depth, has chapters
about methodology, how to find classes, how to use and not misuse
inheritance, concurrency, graphics, abstract data types,
teaching object technology, analysis, the software process,
memory management, exception handling, the history of taxonomy
in other disciplines, Design by Contract, multiple inheritance,
persistence and O-O databases, etc. I might post the table
of contents if anyone is interested.

I don't have any exact publication date yet but the people who
are *really* in charge at Prentice Hall are doing all they can
to have it out as soon as technically feasible. I will ask them
to make sure that whoever picks up the phone is also au courant!

--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc., Santa Barbara (California)

Web home page: http://www.eiffel.com

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Quote:
> Prentice-Hall (800-922-0579) confirmed this morning (11/4) what my local
> bookstore had told me: Printing of the second edition of
> "Object-Oriented Software Construction" (ISBN 0-13-629155-4) has been
> canceled in the US, i.e. will not take place.  Tell me it ain't so!

I think the person you talked to interpreted the info on the
database...  which is probably the same when I called in the summer,
the ISBN for the second edition has fell back to the first edition
without any remark on the screen, and they would usually tell you that
the book is not going happen.  I ended up asking for the number for
the person who's involved in the book project and she predicted the
book should be available by January/Febrary 97... the date that she
expected the final draft to arrive is pretty close to the message when
Meyer posted on the Net.

pete

Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

Bertrand Meyer writes:

:I might post the table
:of contents if anyone is interested.

Thank you. We are.

Don.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Here is the table of contents of the second edition of
"Object-Oriented Software Construction".

   Contents
   Preface
   Foreword to the second edition
   About the accompanying CD-ROM
   On the bibliography, Internet sources and exercises
   Contents

Part A:  The issues

   Chapter 1: Software quality
      1.1 EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL FACTORS
      1.2 A REVIEW OF EXTERNAL FACTORS
      1.3 ABOUT SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE
      1.4 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      1.5 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 2: Criteria of object orientation
      2.1 ON THE CRITERIA
      2.2 METHOD AND LANGUAGE
      2.3 IMPLEMENTATION AND ENVIRONMENT
   Contents
   Preface
   Foreword to the second edition
   About the accompanying CD-ROM
   On the bibliography, Internet sources and exercises
   Contents

Part A:  The issues

   Chapter 1: Software quality
      1.1 EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL FACTORS
      1.2 A REVIEW OF EXTERNAL FACTORS
      1.3 ABOUT SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE
      1.4 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      1.5 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 2: Criteria of object orientation
      2.1 ON THE CRITERIA
      2.2 METHOD AND LANGUAGE
      2.3 IMPLEMENTATION AND ENVIRONMENT
      2.4 LIBRARIES
      2.5 FOR MORE SNEAK PREVIEW
      2.6 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES AND OBJECT RESOURCES

Part B:  The road to object orientation

   Chapter 3: Modularity
      3.1 FIVE CRITERIA
      3.2 FIVE RULES
      3.3 FIVE PRINCIPLES
      3.4 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      3.5 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 4: Approaches to reusability
      4.1 THE GOALS OF REUSABILITY
      4.2 WHAT SHOULD WE REUSE?
      4.3 REPETITION IN SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
      4.4 NON-TECHNICAL OBSTACLES
      4.5 THE TECHNICAL PROBLEM
      4.6 FIVE REQUIREMENTS ON MODULE STRUCTURES
      4.7 TRADITIONAL MODULAR STRUCTURES
      4.8 OVERLOADING AND GENERICITY
      4.9 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      4.10 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 5: Towards object technology
      5.1 THE INGREDIENTS OF COMPUTATION
      5.2 FUNCTIONAL DECOMPOSITION
      5.3 OBJECT-BASED DECOMPOSITION
      5.4 OBJECT-ORIENTED SOFTWARE CONSTRUCTION
      5.5 ISSUES
      5.6 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      5.7 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 6: Abstract data types
      6.1 CRITERIA
      6.2 IMPLEMENTATION VARIATIONS
      6.3 TOWARDS AN ABSTRACT VIEW OF OBJECTS
      6.4 FORMALIZING THE SPECIFICATION
      6.5 FROM ABSTRACT DATA TYPES TO CLASSES
      6.6 BEYOND SOFTWARE
      6.7 SUPPLEMENTARY TOPICS
      6.8 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      6.9 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

Part C:  Object-oriented techniques

   Chapter 7: The static structure: classes
      7.1 OBJECTS ARE NOT THE SUBJECT
      7.2 AVOIDING THE STANDARD CONFUSION
      7.3 THE ROLE OF CLASSES
      7.4 A UNIFORM TYPE SYSTEM
      7.5 A SIMPLE CLASS
      7.6 BASIC CONVENTIONS
      7.7 THE OBJECT-ORIENTED STYLE OF COMPUTATION
      7.8 SELECTIVE EXPORTS AND INFORMATION HIDING
      7.9 PUTTING EVERYTHING TOGETHER
      7.10 DISCUSSION
      7.11 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      7.12 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 8: The run-time structure: objects
      8.1 OBJECTS
      8.2 OBJECTS AS A MODELING TOOL
      8.3 MANIPULATING OBJECTS AND REFERENCES
      8.4 CREATION PROCEDURES
      8.5 MORE ON REFERENCES
      8.6 OPERATIONS ON REFERENCES
      8.7 COMPOSITE OBJECTS AND EXPANDED TYPES
      8.9 DEALING WITH REFERENCES: BENEFITS AND DANGERS
      8.10 DISCUSSION
      8.11 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      8.12 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 9: Memory management
      9.1 WHAT HAPPENS TO OBJECTS
      9.2 THE CASUAL APPROACH
      9.3 RECLAIMING MEMORY: THE ISSUES
      9.4 PROGRAMMER-CONTROLLED DEALLOCATION
      9.5 THE COMPONENT-LEVEL APPROACH
      9.6 AUTOMATIC MEMORY MANAGEMENT
      9.7 REFERENCE COUNTING
      9.8 GARBAGE COLLECTION
      9.9 PRACTICAL ISSUES OF GARBAGE COLLECTION
      9.10 AN ENVIRONMENT WITH MEMORY MANAGEMENT
      9.11 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      9.12 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 10: Genericity
      10.1 HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL TYPE GENERALIZATION
      10.2 THE NEED FOR TYPE PARAMETERIZATION
      10.3 GENERIC CLASSES
      10.4 ARRAYS
      10.5 THE COST OF GENERICITY
      10.6 DISCUSSION: NOT DONE YET
      10.7 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      10.8 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 11: Design by Contract: Building reliable software
      11.1 BASIC RELIABILITY MECHANISMS
      11.2 ABOUT SOFTWARE CORRECTNESS
      11.3 EXPRESSING A SPECIFICATION
      11.4 INTRODUCING ASSERTIONS INTO SOFTWARE TEXTS
      11.5 PRECONDITIONS AND POSTCONDITIONS
      11.6 CONTRACTING FOR SOFTWARE RELIABILITY
      11.7 WORKING WITH ASSERTIONS
      11.8 CLASS INVARIANTS
      11.9 WHEN IS A CLASS CORRECT?
      11.10 THE ADT CONNECTION
      11.11 AN ASSERTION INSTRUCTION
      11.12 LOOP INVARIANTS AND VARIANTS
      11.13 USING ASSERTIONS
      11.14 DISCUSSION
      11.15 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      11.16 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 12: When the contract is broken: exception handling
      12.1 BASIC CONCEPTS OF EXCEPTION HANDLING
      12.2 HANDLING EXCEPTIONS
      12.3 AN EXCEPTION MECHANISM
      12.4 EXCEPTION HANDLING EXAMPLES
      12.5 THE TASK OF A RESCUE CLAUSE
      12.6 ADVANCED EXCEPTION HANDLING
      12.7 DISCUSSION
      12.8 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      12.9 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 13: Supporting mechanisms
      13.1 INTERFACING WITH NON-O-O SOFTWARE
      13.2 ARGUMENT PASSING
      13.3 INSTRUCTIONS
      13.4 EXPRESSIONS
      13.5 STRINGS
      13.6 INPUT AND OUTPUT
      13.7 LEXICAL CONVENTIONS
      13.8 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 14: Introduction to inheritance
      14.1 POLYGONS AND RECTANGLES
      14.2 POLYMORPHISM
      14.3 TYPING FOR INHERITANCE
      14.4 DYNAMIC BINDING
      14.5 DEFERRED FEATURES AND CLASSES
      14.6 REDECLARATION TECHNIQUES
      14.7 THE MEANING OF INHERITANCE
      14.8 THE ROLE OF DEFERRED CLASSES
      14.9 DISCUSSION
      14.10 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      14.11 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 15: Multiple inheritance
      15.1 EXAMPLES OF MULTIPLE INHERITANCE
      15.2 FEATURE RENAMING
      15.3 FLATTENING THE STRUCTURE
      15.4 REPEATED INHERITANCE
      15.5 DISCUSSION
      15.6 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      15.7 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 16: Inheritance techniques
      16.1 INHERITANCE AND ASSERTIONS
      16.2 THE GLOBAL INHERITANCE STRUCTURE
      16.3 FROZEN FEATURES
      16.4 CONSTRAINED GENERICITY
      16.5 ASSIGNMENT ATTEMPT
      16.6 TYPING AND REDECLARATION
      16.7 ANCHORED DECLARATION
      16.8 INHERITANCE AND INFORMATION HIDING
      16.9 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      16.10 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTE
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 17: Typing
      17.1 THE TYPING PROBLEM
      17.2 STATIC TYPING: WHY AND HOW
      17.3 COVARIANCE AND DESCENDANT HIDING
      17.4 FIRST APPROACHES TO SYSTEM VALIDITY
      17.5 RELYING ON ANCHORED TYPES
      17.6 GLOBAL ANALYSIS
      17.7 BEWARE OF POLYMORPHIC CATCALLS!
      17.8 AN ASSESSMENT
      17.9 THE PERFECT FIT
      17.10 KEY CONCEPTS STUDIED IN THIS CHAPTER
      17.11 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 18: Global objects and constants
      18.1 CONSTANTS OF BASIC TYPES
      18.2 USE OF CONSTANTS
      18.3 CONSTANTS OF CLASS TYPES
      18.4 APPLICATIONS OF ONCE ROUTINES
      18.5 CONSTANTS OF STRING TYPE
      18.6 UNIQUE VALUES
      18.7 DISCUSSION
      18.8 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      18.9 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

Part D:  Object-oriented methodology: applying the method well

   Chapter 19: On methodology
      19.1 SOFTWARE METHODOLOGY: WHY AND WHAT
      19.2 DEVISING GOOD RULES: ADVICE TO THE ADVISORS
      19.3 ON USING METAPHORS
      19.4 THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING HUMBLE
      19.5 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 20: Design pattern: multi-panel interactive systems
      20.1 MULTI-PANEL SYSTEMS
      20.2 A SIMPLE-MINDED ATTEMPT
      20.3 A FUNCTIONAL, TOP-DOWN SOLUTION
      20.4 A CRITIQUE OF THE SOLUTION
      20.5 AN OBJECT-ORIENTED ARCHITECTURE
      20.6 DISCUSSION
      20.7 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

   Chapter 21: Inheritance case study: "undo" in an interactive system
      21.1 PERSEVERARE DIABOLICUM
      21.2 FINDING THE ABSTRACTIONS
      21.3 MULTI-LEVEL UNDO-REDO
      21.4 IMPLEMENTATION ASPECTS
      21.5 A USER INTERFACE FOR UNDOING AND REDOING
      21.6 DISCUSSION
      21.7 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 22: How to find the classes
      22.1 STUDYING A REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT
      22.2 DANGER SIGNALS
      22.3 GENERAL HEURISTICS FOR FINDING CLASSES
      22.4 OTHER SOURCES OF CLASSES
      22.5 REUSE
      22.6 THE METHOD FOR OBTAINING CLASSES
      22.7 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      22.8 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

   Chapter 23: Principles of class design
      23.1 SIDE EFFECTS IN FUNCTIONS
      23.2 HOW MANY ARGUMENTS FOR A FEATURE?
      23.3 CLASS SIZE: THE SHOPPING LIST APPROACH
      23.4 ACTIVE DATA STRUCTURES
      23.5 SELECTIVE EXPORTS
      23.6 DEALING WITH ABNORMAL CASES
      23.7 CLASS EVOLUTION: THE OBSOLETE CLAUSE
      23.8 DOCUMENTING A CLASS AND A SYSTEM
      23.9 KEY CONCEPTS INTRODUCED IN THIS CHAPTER
      23.10 BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES
      EXERCISES

   Chapter 24: Using inheritance well
      24.1 HOW NOT TO USE INHERITANCE
      24.2 WOULD YOU RATHER BUY OR INHERIT?
      24.3 AN APPLICATION: THE HANDLE TECHNIQUE
      24.4 TAXOMANIA
      24.5 USING INHERITANCE: A TAXONOMY OF TAXONOMY
      24.6 ONE MECHANISM, OR MORE?
      24.7 SUBTYPE

read more »

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Correction in my message: the section title

Quote:
>    33.7 FROM ADA TO ADA

should have been

        33.7 FROM ADA TO ADA 95

(The typo is in the posting,   not in the book!)
--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc., Santa Barbara (California)

ftp://ftp.eiffel.com
Web home page: http://www.eiffel.com

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Ed. Canceled?

Man, this looks like a nice book.

Any idea how much it'll cost in the UK?

ABW
--

"Simply drag your mother in law's cellphone number from the
Address Book to the Laser Satellite icon, and the Targeting

(Windows for Early Warning and Defence User's manual P385)

<A HREF="http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/">Hello :-)</A>

Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Object Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed coming soon???

2. 0bject-Oriented Software Construction 2nd Ed?

3. bject-Oriented Software Construction 2nd Ed?

4. "Object-Oriented Software Construction", 2nd edition

5. Second edition of OOSC (Object-Oriented Software Construction)

6. Need Object-Oriented Software Construction by Meyer

7. Object Oriented Software Construction

8. New book (Object-Oriented Software Construction)

9. Oject-Oriented Software Construction 2ed ?

10. Object Oriented Program Construction, 1988, by Bertrand Meyer?

11. Mindstorms 2nd Ed. available!

12. Announce: Python Essential Reference, 2nd Ed.