elj-win32 0.4 Release: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution
Author Message
 elj-win32 0.4 Release: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution

         elj-win32: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution 0.4 Release

17 Jun 99: The long-awaited 0.4 version of elj-win32 [1] is now
available for download from:

   - http://www.*-*-*.com/

The distribution includes:

   - the -0.78 (05 Jun 99[2]) release of SmallEiffel [3].

   - the 04 Jun 99 release of lcc-win32 [4] (the backend ANSI
     C compiler) with IDE (WEDIT) and fully functional Resource
     Editor.

   - the GRAPE Eiffel win32 GUI library (see the manual - pdf [5]).

   - The GOBO[6] and Pylon[7] libraries pre-installed and configured.

   - SEEd, a simple and useful SmallEiffel IDE with syntax
     highlighting, shift and click feature/class navigation, etc.

   - Lots of ``getting started'' material (eg Eiffel Online
     Documentation [8]),

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

   - Plus lots more ..

Installation of the elj-win32 GNU Eiffel win32 compiler is simple
and complete. It installs as per a normal ``Setup'' installation
and you will be running the sample programs shortly after updating
the elj-win32 environment variables on your system.

ftp access will hopefully become available shortly through the
SmallEiffel download network [9].

Thank you to all the beta testers. Please contact me if there are
any problems that I may introduced into the final distribution.

This 0.4 release is a major improvement on the 0.3 release which
is approximately 11 months old (with SE -0.80). Many people have
contributed to making this ``bootstrap'' release possible and I
thank them for their efforts and inspiration.

Finally, I believe that non-trivial Eiffel and Eiffel GUI
applications can be constructed using this open source distribution
and that SmallEiffel adds another important dimension to the Eiffel
world. I hope you find it helpful and useful, and that you might be
able to contribute back to the elj-win32/SmallEiffel projects if
and when you can.

Geoff Eldridge

-- http://www.*-*-*.com/

Web References:

[1] elj-win32: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[2] The -0.78 SmallEiffel Release announcement:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[3] SmallEiffel: The GNU Eiffel Compiler
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[4] lcc-win32: A ANSI C (win32 aware) Compiler and Tools
        http://www.*-*-*.com/ .{*filter*}ia.edu/~lcc-win32/

[5] The GRAPE (Eiffel win32 GUI) Tutorial (120 Pages):
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[6] GOBO: A portable Data Structure Library. Eiffel Lex and Eiffel Yacc.
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[7] Pylon
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

[8] Eiffel Online Documentation
        http://www.*-*-*.com/ [ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=489608637

[9] SmallEiffel Download Network:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 elj-win32 0.4 Release: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution

Quote:

> Finally, I believe that non-trivial Eiffel and Eiffel GUI
> applications can be constructed using this open source distribution
> and that SmallEiffel adds another important dimension to the Eiffel
> world. I hope you find it helpful and useful, and that you might be
> able to contribute back to the elj-win32/SmallEiffel projects if
> and when you can.

If anyone hasn't tried SmallEiffel or Geoff's package before, this release
is the one to get.  It installs & works straight out of the box, the Seed
IDE works well, and the package comes with a good selection of useful class
libraries.
This is an excellant example of how open source can work, and I agree with
Geoff that it is a serious tool for software construction.  Get it.  Use
it.  Improve it.

- Roy

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. elj-win32: A FREE/NO-RISK win32 SmallEiffel Distribution

2. new SmallEiffel elj-win32 release (-0.74)

3. new SmallEiffel elj-win32 release (-0.74)

4. new SmallEiffel elj-win32 release (-0.74)

5. Win32 Debug vs Win32 Release when Fortran files are included (+IMSL)

6. The ELJ Project announces ELJ 0.4; Open Source Projects for Eiffel

7. elj-win32 Wine cross-compile Linux => Windows

8. elj-win32-dev: project summary (31 Dec 2000)

9. Possible Bug in elj-win32