Minutes from the September 2002 Meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group
Author Message
 Minutes from the September 2002 Meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

Last night's meeting was again hosted by Fowler Software Design, and attended
by Eiffel programmers as well as people from the Denver XP group.

We began by hearing news about other Eiffel groups. After posting the minutes
of the August meeting in comp.lang.eiffel, Greg was contacted by people in
Australia about "Friends of Eiffel" (FOE) and in England about the the "United
Kingdom and Ireland Eiffel Interest Group." FOE is more informal than the
CEUG, and the UK & I IEG is currently not active. We hope to hear from other
Eiffel groups, regardless of status, in the near future.

This was followed by reports of recent developments in the Eiffel industry.
These include (in no particular order):

   * The announcement of the name change of the GNU Eiffel Compiler to
     SmartEiffel, along with the first releases of SmartEiffel 1.0 Betas.

   * The recent announcement by ISE of free, non-commercial versions of
     EiffelStudio 5.2 and Envision (the full-featred Eiffel plug-in for
     Visual Studio .Net)

   * The release of Gobo 3.0, which now includes a universal Ace file
     tool that works across all Eiffel compilers, significant XML
     support, and a build tool modelled after Java's Ant.

   * The release of ELJ 0.4, which includes a nearly complete wrapping of
     the wxWindows portable GUI library, as well as support for numerous
     databases, the Win32 API, and more.

Rex Fowler gave his presentation the value of Design by Contract and Eiffel
assertions for Extreme Programming and XP's emphasis on frequent, repeatable
testing. The presentation led to several probing questions from the XP attendees,
and to an open discussion on the benefits of built-in DbC in a language.

The next meeting of the CEUG will be October 24th at 6:30, again at Fowler
Software Design. So far on the agenda we have the following items:

    * Discussion and planning for contributions of Eiffel software to the
      Open Source movement. (We are looking for suggestions.)

    * Demonstrations of Eiffel-based software.

Fowler software will be providing a projector for those wishing to demonstrate
software to the group. Attendance is free, and the public is invited.

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:39:14 GMT

1. Minutes of the April meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

2. Minutes of the March 27 meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

3. Minutes of the October meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

4. Minutes of the May meeting of the Colorado Eiffel Users Group

5. Minutes of the March 6 meeting of the Colorado Eiffel Users Group

6. October's Colorado Eiffel User's Group Meeting

7. March meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

8. February meeting of the Colorado Eiffel User's Group

9. April meeting of the Colorado Eiffel Users Group

10. January Meeting of the Colorado Eiffel Users Group

11. The first (really the second) meeting of the Colorado Eiffel Users Group

12. Ottawa Carleton Smalltalk Users Group meeting Oct 3, 2002