Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows
Author Message
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows

Quote:
>BTW, I've had a bit of a play with the new GUI now and can't say that
>I'm very impressed. It might suit a Unix system but it is certainly
>very out of place under Windows and flies in the face of established
>GUI standards for that platform. Where are the menus?!?
>Not having "OK" boxes on warning dialogs and the accompanying
explanation
>in the manual just smacks of arrogance. Trying to establish a new GUI
>standard at the same time as a new language is just crazy! If the word
>"OK" grates, then use the word "Close"! Having a dialog close when you
>click anywhere in it is absolutely counter-intuitive to a Windows
user!
>The drag-and-drop support seems to only be there so that it can claim
>drag-and-drop support! These functions should be provided via pop-up
>menus invoked using the right mouse button.
>That'll do for now...

That was my initial impression as well, but I've come to like the
interface. However I wish ISE would put a parallel menu structure on
top of it. I have an Alt-F S nervous twitch that I've carefully
cultivated - Eiffel Bench then asks me if I want to save before
compiling :-/ . I don't see any functions in Eiffel Bench that can't be
simply mapped to pull-down menus in the startup window or popup right
mouse button menus in the browser windows, but it would loose the
current Alt-key bindings - does anyone use these? Re the close buttons
- this wouldn't be so bad if the system was a little more careful to
put the dialog where it doesn't block your view. Given that it isn't,
the ability to dismiss the dialog by clicking on it isn't just a sop to
old-fashioned users, as the manual implies - it's necessary and should
have standard support.

Scott

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows
In spite of the subject header the message to which this one
is a response also addressed another set of issues, having to
do with user interface conventions. I will reply on the latter
point in the next few days (we are in the midst of the TOOLS USA
conference in Santa Barbara, and too much is happening to leave
much time) but let me address the topic of the subject header.

It is possible with ISE Eiffel for Windows to *use* DLLs; there
are in fact two mechanisms:

        - One, language-based, lets you specify through Eiffel's
        "external" clause that a certain routine comes from
        a DLL.

        - The other, library-based, lets you provide the name
        of both the routine and the library at run time. It relies
        on library classes describing the abstraction notions of
        dynamically loadable library and dynamically loadable library
        routine.

As to *generating* DLLs, this is not supported yet, although this facility
is definitely being considered for future versions.

        The [$$] "lapel pin" in the Subject header signals adherence to
        the SELF-DISCCIPLINE program for quality News discussion. See
        http://www.eiffel.com/discipline for details.
--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc., Santa Barbara

Web home page: http://www.eiffel.com
ftp://eiffel.com

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows
Articque France
Riccardo Cohen

I am a very recent Eiffel user and a very recent Windows developper.
But my experience in many plateforms pushed me to try ISE Eiffel.

I would like to answer Craig Fisher about its exploding remark for
Ebench.

All you said seem true to me. But then, where is the dream ?
Eiffel is supposed to change something in software developpement. If
a developper accepts it, he can accept to change some mouse and
keyboard reflexes.

Actually I am developping a map software with it, and it is not what
most bother me !!. anyway my application will have menus and OK
buttons on the dialogs.

So please be kind with poor ISE developpers that must make the same
software on so many different plateforms, and a powerful eiffel
compiler in the same time.

For your question about DLL,  French division of ISE (SOL) told me
that it was not possible. It is a great problem for me also, and I

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows

Quote:
>That was my initial impression as well, but I've come to like the
>interface.

Thanks. We understand some of the initial shock but hope that as
users come to realize what lies behind the user interface decisions
they appreciate their benefits. At the same time we will be making the
interface closer to the usual Windows conventions so that Windows-trained
users, especially if they are EiffelBench beginners, can use their familiar
Windows mechanisms right away and discover the additional benefits of
ISE Eiffel conventions as they go.

--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc., Santa Barbara

Web home page: http://www.eiffel.com
ftp://eiffel.com

Wed, 21 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows

Quote:

>I have a simple question (which I fear will have a very simply answer) -
> [...]

>Product Development Manager
>InTEXT Systems Division
>CP Software Group
>Canberra, Australia

   Aha!  Another Canberra person interested in Eiffel.  You're
   completely right about the Windows product.  I've been
   berating ISE about it all this year.

Stu

CSIRO Division Of Information Technology           expressed above are those
Canberra, AUSTRALIA                                of the author and are not
                                                   necessarily reflective of
Voice : +61 6 2167061                               CSIRO policy or of views
Fax   : +61 6 2167111                             shared by CSIRO management
Snail : GPO Box 664, Canberra, ACT 2601                            or staff.

Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Building DLLs with ISE Eiffel for Windows

Quote:

>>I have a simple question (which I fear will have a very simply answer) -
>> [...]

>>Product Development Manager
>>InTEXT Systems Division
>>CP Software Group
>>Canberra, Australia

>   Aha!  Another Canberra person interested in Eiffel.  You're

   This was a person message that I acccidently posted as well
   (netscape news reader)...so in fairness I should add that
   ISE are now very aware of the issues in developing Windows
   progamming tools.

Stu

CSIRO Division Of Information Technology           expressed above are those
Canberra, AUSTRALIA                                of the author and are not
                                                   necessarily reflective of
Voice : +61 6 2167061                               CSIRO policy or of views
Fax   : +61 6 2167111                             shared by CSIRO management
Snail : GPO Box 664, Canberra, ACT 2601                            or staff.

Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need help with ISE Personal Eiffel for Windows in Windows 95

2. ISE Eiffel Build

3. Using ISE Eiffel Build...

4. WEL improving ISE Eiffel Build

5. Using the CygWin DLL with ISE Eiffel

6. ISE/IBM Announcement for ISE Eiffel on IBM Mainframe

7. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

8. ISE Eiffel v4 and Windows

9. ISE has released Eiffel 4 for Windows

10. Review of ISE Eiffel for Windows

11. C/C++ compiler versions for ISE Eiffel on Windows

12. ISE Free Eiffel for Windows