Harlequin's status
Author Message
 Harlequin's status

Here is Harlequin's official announcement about our recent troubles,
all I can add to this is that the Dylan group at Harlequin is doing
all it can to save the technology that we've worked so {*filter*} all
these years. We're immensely proud of it, and we have grand plans for
where it will go next, if we get the chance.

---------------------------------

Cambridge, MA; June 30, 1999 -- Harlequin announced today that its UK
subsidiary, Harlequin Limited, has been placed into Administrative
Receivership. Representatives of Ernst & Young UK have been appointed
Receivers for Harlequin Limited and are actively seeking a buyer for
the UK and US Harlequin business. The US subsidiary, Harlequin
Incorporated, has not been placed into receivership and its directors
are cooperating fully with the Receivers in the UK. A purchaser will
be sought for the UK and US Harlequin business as a going concern, and
Harlequin will continue to operate to support its customers worldwide.

In early June, Harlequin went through a significant restructuring
designed to streamline its business and development operations. This
restructuring involved a major shift in the company's focus to its
core digital printing and publishing business. As part of the
restructuring, approximately 90 employees were laid off or reassigned,
and offices were closed in Seattle, Washington DC and Canberra,
Australia. The remaining 136 employees continue to operate from
offices in the US and UK.

Company management, including Founder & Chairman Jo Marks, Harlequin
Incorporated President W. Robert Allison, and Harlequin Limited
Managing Director Anne-Marie McCarthy will remain in place until a
buyer is found for the business. Recently appointed CEO Alan Blank has
resigned.

-end-

We'll keep this list informed of any news in as timely a manner as is

that you have, we'll do our best to address them.

Fingers crossed.

Andy

P.S. Just before this happened we put Harlequin Dylan 2.0 beta 2 up on
our web site, I'll try to get a full announcement out tomorrow, but in
the interim the web site has all of the details. We'll be doing our
upmost to make sure that 2.0 itself gets released, and hopefully 3.0,
4.0 etc.

----------

Harlequin Inc.

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin's status

Quote:

> Here is Harlequin's official announcement about our recent troubles,
> all I can add to this is that the Dylan group at Harlequin is doing
> all it can to save the technology that we've worked so {*filter*} all
> these years. We're immensely proud of it, and we have grand plans for
> where it will go next, if we get the chance.

We're rooting for you guys out here...

If there's anything we can do, just say.

-- Bruce

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin's status

Quote:

> We're rooting for you guys out here...

> If there's anything we can do, just say.

Definitely!!!

Is there an outcome you guys are pushing for that we can help bring about,
like send letters of support to a prospective buyer or something?

My biggest fear is that the technology will get lost or buried like the
Apple Dylan TR and the Newton core technologies. I really hope that whatever
becomes of Harlequin, at least this great work does not get buried and
become unavailable.

Paul

--
"ain't you ever seen a disembodied soul before? ain't you ever seen a soul
   seeking incarnation?" - Robyn Hitchcock

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

2. HARLEQUIN RELEASES ITS HARLEQUIN COMMON LISP ORB

3. and # in harlequin dylan 1.1's editor

4. preserving Harlequin's lisps

5. Harlequin's LispWorks

6. Harlequin's LispWorks

7. problem with CLOSE with STATUS='DELETE'

8. 'old' status input file

9. VAX status='readonly'

10. g77 and status='scratch'

11. STATUS='UNKOWN'