Anyone working on public domain Dylan
Author Message
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Is there a public domain implimentation of Dylan, or is anyone working
on one.  Please let me know... I may be interested in helping out with
the implimentation.

Thank you.

--
Chris Russell      |  VIFX, CGI Effects department
Software Engineer  |  5333 McConnell Ave; Los Angeles, CA 90066

Sat, 06 Sep 1997 06:15:34 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Chris> Is there a public domain implimentation of Dylan, or is anyone
Chris> working on one.  Please let me know... I may be interested in
Chris> helping out with the implimentation.

It depends on what you mean by public domain.

The *real* definition of public domain involves the author forfeiting
their copyright on the program. As far as I know, none of the implementations
of dylan are really public domain.

But by PD, people generally mean freely redistributable. There are
definitely two freely redistributable Dylan implementations. Marlais
is under the GNU general public license.  Mindy is under its own
license which is considerably less limiting than GPL, and I think that
they've said that the real Gwydion software will be under the same
open license as Mindy.

        <MC>
--
|| Mark Craig Chu-Carroll: <MC> || "A libertarian is just a republican
|| CIS Grad, U of Delaware      ||  who takes {*filter*}"
|| PGP Key Available, by finger ||       - Bob Black

Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:22:45 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

   But by PD, people generally mean freely redistributable. There are
   definitely two freely redistributable Dylan implementations. Marlais
   is under the GNU general public license.  Mindy is under its own
   license which is considerably less limiting than GPL, and I think that
   they've said that the real Gwydion software will be under the same
   open license as Mindy.

Not exactly.  The libraries we produce and other Gwydion runtime stuff
will be under the same "do whatever you like as long as you give us
credit" terms as Mindy.  I think that the need for runtime licenses
has been a big problem for Lisp and some other languages.

Our current intention is that Gwydion development environment
(compiler and hypercode tools) will be available for free for
educational and research use, but that anyone wanting to sell a
product containing all or part of this code will have to get a license
from Carnegie Mellon.  The usual way to do that will be to join our
indutrial consortium, which gives members non-exclusive commercial
rights to the code and documents we produce.  At least, this will be
true for a while, so that our consortium members have some opportunity
to commercialize what we have done.

No plan is perfect, but we're trying to get most of the benfits of
openness while still creating an incentive for some companies to work
closely with us and to put some resources into the ongoing development
of Gwydion, both at CMU and within their own organizations.  During
CMU CL development, we found that just tossing this stuff out there in
a completely uncontrolled way let to a lot of very shallow
interactions with a large number of comapnies and end-users, but not
to the closer relationships that might have led to a well-supported
CMU CL-based product.

-- Scott

Principal Research Scientist            Phone:     412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:       412 268-5576
Carnegie Mellon University              Latitude:  40:26:46 N
5000 Forbes Avenue                      Longitude: 79:56:55 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213                    Mood:      :-)

Mon, 08 Sep 1997 01:16:25 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Quote:

> Is there a public domain implimentation of Dylan, or is anyone working
> on one.  Please let me know... I may be interested in helping out with
> the implimentation.

> Thank you.

> --
> Chris Russell      |  VIFX, CGI Effects department
> Software Engineer  |  5333 McConnell Ave; Los Angeles, CA 90066

Yes, there are two actually. One is an interpreter called Marlais and the other
is a combo bytecode compiler/interpreter called Mindy. Both can be gotten
for both Macintosh and Unix (and I think Windows aswell).

Check the Dylan FAQ for addresses.

--
Bengt Baverman

Tue, 09 Sep 1997 21:11:59 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan
Where is the FAQ? I poked around rtfm.mit.edu and a couple of Apple
ftp sites, but couldn't find it.

//w

Quote:

>> Is there a public domain implimentation of Dylan, or is anyone working
>> on one.  Please let me know... I may be interested in helping out with
>> the implimentation.

>> Thank you.

>> --
>> Chris Russell      |  VIFX, CGI Effects department
>> Software Engineer  |  5333 McConnell Ave; Los Angeles, CA 90066

>Yes, there are two actually. One is an interpreter called Marlais and the other
>is a combo bytecode compiler/interpreter called Mindy. Both can be gotten
>for both Macintosh and Unix (and I think Windows aswell).

>Check the Dylan FAQ for addresses.

>--
>Bengt Baverman

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 03:05:15 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

   Where is the FAQ? I poked around rtfm.mit.edu and a couple of Apple
   ftp sites, but couldn't find it.

Well, it's usually at ftp.cambridge.apple.com, but it isn't accepting anonymous ftp
this PM.  But the web server at www.cambridge.apple.com is accessible.

-- rec --

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 05:15:46 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Quote:

> Where is the FAQ? I poked around rtfm.mit.edu and a couple of Apple
> ftp sites, but couldn't find it.

Try cambridge.apple.com in the /pub/dylan/ directories.

Regards,
Wolfgang Ziller

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:47:38 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Quote:

> Where is the FAQ? I poked around rtfm.mit.edu and a couple of Apple
> ftp sites, but couldn't find it.

The FAQ can be downloaded from ftp://cambridge.apple.com/pub/dylan/ or via
http://www.cambridge.apple.com/ (the web site also has links to other
places such as CMU's Gwyddion web page).

  ** Ken **

****      Kenneth Knight       Innovation Associates  ****
****                Software Engineer                 ****
****   voice: (313)-995-9338    fax: (313)-995-9338   ****

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 07:12:59 GMT
 Anyone working on public domain Dylan

Quote:

> Where is the FAQ? I poked around rtfm.mit.edu and a couple of Apple
> ftp sites, but couldn't find it.

> //w

Check Apple's cambridge site: ftp.cambridge.apple.com. I cannot remember the
exact path but it's easy to find. It's something like /pub/dylan/faq.

On this server you will also find both Mindy and MacMarlais, the two Dylan-like
interpreters there is as of today.

--
Bengt Baverman

--
Bengt Baverman

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:27:47 GMT

1. Which public domain Dylan implementation ?

2. public domain prolog for apollo domain

3. Mind.rexx AI public domain

4. Public domain APL?

5. Public Domain Unix APL Interpreter

6. Public Domain APL for PC's

7. Public domain APL for the IBM PC

8. APL functions in the public domain

9. RDB-access classes in public domain?

10. Public domain APL source code

11. Smalltalk Report in the Public domain

12. Public Domain ST for the Sparc