Dylan Interim Reference Manual now available
Author Message
 Dylan Interim Reference Manual now available

When the first Dylan manual was published in 1992, it was met with an
enthusiastic response.  People agreed with our goals for the language, and
many people suggested ways in which Dylan could better meet its goals.

Since that time, an expanded group of engineers both inside and outside
Apple have worked to refine the language design in response to those
suggestions.  The language has become simpler and more efficient.  Loose
ends have been tied up.  The language has been given a new syntax.
Throughout this process, changes to the language design have been published
electronically in the form of design notes.

With the exception of the macro system, the current round of language
design is now essentially complete.  A new Dylan language reference will be
published early in 1995.  The new book will be the definitive specification
of the Dylan language.  Apple is working closely with other Dylan
implementors to ensure that the new book will not be Apple-specific, but
will apply equally to all Dylan implementations.

We realize that many people want to read about Dylan now!  So to fill the
gap until the new book is published, we've put together the Dylan Interim
Reference Manual.  This document is an interim user reference for the Dylan
language.  It combines the original Dylan book, the previously published
design notes, and additional previously unpublished design decisions as of
May 1994.

You can get a copy of the Dylan Interim Reference Manual by anonymous FTP
from the following directory:

    cambridge.apple.com:/pub/dylan/dylan-manual/

The same document is available in two different formats:

    interim-book.ps    - Adobe postscript
    interim-book.rtf   - Rich Text Format

Our goal for this interim document has been to get something useful out to
you as soon as possible, not to spend time refining it, so it's important
to understand the limitations of this document:

  - This is a very rough document, intended only as a temporary user
    reference until the new Dylan book is ready.  The writing and
    formatting are messy in places.  We hope you'll excuse us.

  - This document is not intended as a language specification.  There
    are places where it is imprecise or inconsistent.  We hope you will
    understand that these are shortcomings of this document, and not of
    the language design as a whole.

  - This document is not intended as a tutorial or introduction to
    Dylan programming.  We assume that you are already somewhat
    familiar with object oriented programming.  You will often need
    to devise your own examples and flip back and forth through the
    manual as you read it.

Despite these limitations, we think that this document will be useful to
people who want to learn about Dylan, especially to those people who are
using an early Dylan implementation.  Enjoy, and let us know what you
think!

    Orca Starbuck
    Apple Computer

Thu, 21 Nov 1996 01:33:46 GMT

1. Dylan Interim Reference Manual now available

2. Dylan Interim Manual available via WWW

3. Book FS: Dylan Reference Manual, by Andrew Shalit.

4. How update of Dylan reference manual?

5. How update of Dylan reference manual?

6. Dylan Reference Manual questions

7. Dylan Reference Manual and MacWorld

8. Dylan Reference Manual online now

9. Dylan Reference Manual

10. Interim release of manuals? comments please

11. Interim Manual: a few notes

12. C/C++ Warm Fuzzy Feelings.... Dylan-Interim