Newsgroups: comp.multimedia
Subject: Mac vs IBM Which platform is best?
Date: 28 Mar 1995 18:55:50 -0500

My wife is getting ready to spend about $10,000 on hardware & software
for
graphic design (cpu, monitor, scanner, laser printer).Eventually she
would
like to expand from graphic design into multimedia.

1-2 years ago I would have told her without question to buy Mac.Is that
still the rule?

Ted Adair
---
a.net    !solaris.cc.vt.edu!usenet

Newsgroups: comp.multimedia
Subject: Re: Mac vs IBM Which platform is best?
Date: 29 Mar 1995 01:49:40 GMT

Quote:

> My wife is getting ready to spend about $10,000 on hardware & software
for
> graphic design (cpu, monitor, scanner, laser printer).Eventually she
would
> like to expand from graphic design into multimedia.
> 1-2 years ago I would have told her without question to buy Mac.Is
that
> still the rule?

Yes.  I suggest she think about a 7100/80, and
use the savings for a JPEG accelerator, photoshop DSP accelerator,
and a few grand worth of RAM.
There are still quite a few Service Bureaus that are Macintosh only.

Also, due to Apple's tightfisted control of Macintosh hardware
standards, the
Macintosh is still the cutting edge leader in Multimedia.
Even though there is a price/speed parity between the P5 and
PowerMac models at the mail-order level, watch out for Mac price
inflation
at retailers who sell both MSDOS and Macs.  Many aftermarket MSDOS
machine
products are imports of poor quality, and it is this market which the
retailer
hopes to hook you into with its broader profit margins.

cheers, Jay.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

ps.  My Creative Labs SoundBlaster board, no longer under warranty,
shorted out
today.  The 486 it was in survived the incident, however, it certainly
isn't a
Multimedia personal computer anymore...
thank goodness this didn't happen to any of the lab's Macs!  I would
have
been upset...
---

Newsgroups: comp.multimedia
Date: 29 Mar 1995 01:50:24 GMT

Quote:

Newsgroups: comp.multimedia

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 05:39:47 GMT

writes:

Quote:
>My wife is getting ready to spend about $10,000 on hardware & software
for
>graphic design (cpu, monitor, scanner, laser printer).Eventually she
would
>like to expand from graphic design into multimedia.

>1-2 years ago I would have told her without question to buy Mac.Is that
>still the rule?

>Ted Adair

Yes, Yes, YES!  By all means.  Graphic design, multimedia, and internet
interface is where the Mac (hardware and software) shines brighter than
anywhere else!  Though you could debate the merits of scanners and laser
printers (there are good 3rd party one out there), there is no question
that the heart of the system should be a Mac with a power PC chip (for
big-time graphics apps., get an 8100/110--if you can afford it!  I've
got
a 7100 though and I'm quite happy with its processing power.  Actually,
buy the 7100 and spend the rest of the money on MEMORY--at least 24Mb,
though 40 would be nice).  All of the best graphics/multimedia programs
come out first on the Mac (contrary to trends for other software), and
buying a Mac means you can start WORKING the first day (as opposed to
configuring for days, and then dealing with conflicts and such).  Plus
the fact that Macs are a lot more robust for these types of
applications.

Simply put, buy a Mac.  Enough said.

John Kundert-Gibbs
---

Newsgroups: comp.multimedia

Date: 29 Mar 95 17:48:55 PDT

writes:

Quote:
> My wife is getting ready to spend about $10,000 on hardware & software
for
> graphic design (cpu, monitor, scanner, laser printer).Eventually she
would
> like to expand from graphic design into multimedia.

> 1-2 years ago I would have told her without question to buy Mac.Is
that
> still the rule?

> Ted Adair

My wife's client bought her a second Mac for her office and one for her
home.  As she usually has a hard time with kilobytes and megabytes, I
expected to spend a day or so networking the three machines. She was
able
to install the 2 units, network all 3, including across the modem, and
transfer files in 3 hours, including travel time.  I was blown away.

bob gramcko
---

Newsgroups: comp.multimedia
Date: 30 Mar 1995 04:16:01 GMT

Quote:

(Tgadair)
writes:

Quote:
>> My wife is getting ready to spend about $10,000 on hardware &
software for
>> graphic design (cpu, monitor, scanner, laser printer).Eventually she
would
>> like to expand from graphic design into multimedia.

>> 1-2 years ago I would have told her without question to buy Mac.Is
that
>> still the rule?

>> Ted Adair

Absolutely, especially for graphic design.  Macs are solidly designed
and, in my experience, have about 1/3 the problems PC's do.  PC's
also don't have the rigorous color matching system that Apple
provides (ie - The color you scan is the color you see on the screen
which is the same color you print)  This is critical for print work.

The PC is advancing, but Apple ain't standin' still...

George Maestri

---

Sat, 20 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Apple's Dylan's FAQ postable?

2. 'who am i' from unix

3. LOGO-L> Apple Logo - for Apple IIe

4. What's with TS Marketing

5. apple's 1985 smalltalk

6. apple's 1985 smalltalk

7. apple's dylan technology release CD

8. Posting Apple's Dylan Ref Manual?

9. Apple's FTP

10. The Apple II Programmer's Catalog of Languages and Toolkits

11. Apple's development environment

12. Where's cambridge.apple.com?