Say, how about parentheses?
Author Message
 Say, how about parentheses?

What with these recent "Dylan has missed the boat" messages, I got to
thinking... maybe the decision to get away from the Lisp-style syntax
can/should be reconsidered. Maybe it would make it that much easier to
get a working compiler like people have been asking for, if the syntax
was lisp-like (again), and maybe "the boat" took all the folks that
would have had a problem with the parentheses. Just a (naive, I'm sure)
thought...

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Say, how about parentheses?

Quote:
> What with these recent "Dylan has missed the boat" messages, I got to
> thinking... maybe the decision to get away from the Lisp-style syntax
> can/should be reconsidered. Maybe it would make it that much easier to
> get a working compiler like people have been asking for, if the syntax
> was lisp-like (again), and maybe "the boat" took all the folks that
> would have had a problem with the parentheses. Just a (naive, I'm sure)
> thought...

        It is probably too late to do such a thing now, but if there is
a "Dylan 2", I too hope that it reverts to Lisp style syntax. If the
language is to have macros at all, I think this would be better. It would be
nice to see a complete rationale for the design of the syntax.

        I don't find Lisp syntax that much worse than any other syntax
in terms of readability, and I am not a long time Lisp programmer (mostly
C, C++, and now Java).

-- Brian

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Say, how about parentheses?

Quote:

>aybe it would make it that much easier to
>get a working compiler like people have been asking for, if the syntax
>was lisp-like (again), and maybe "the boat" took all the folks that
>would have had a problem with the parentheses. Just a (naive, I'm sure)
>thought...

In general, parsing is the easiest part of any programming language
implementation.  Some languages (e.g. Lisp, Forth, postscript) are easier
to parse than others, but this is rarely the issue that delays
implementation.  Dylan's macros add a wrinkle that doesn't exist in most
other Algol-descended language syntaces, so they can't just use a common
parser-generator, but I doubt it's the holdup.

--
Barry Margolin
BBN Planet, Cambridge, MA

(BBN customers, please call (800) 632-7638 option 1 for support)

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. macros (was: Re: Say, how about parentheses?)

2. Say, how about parentheses?

3. less parentheses --> fewer parentheses

4. less parentheses --> fewer parentheses

5. Dangling Closing Parentheses vs. Stacked Closing Parentheses

6. say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

7. I say 2 you say 1

8. PUBKAR - parentheses not always first

9. Howto get round parenthesis literally

10. Using parentheses in an SQL query

11. Use of parentheses in an SQLSelect query

12. Whitespace, parentheses, methods, and arrays (was: Multiple file types in open dialog)