Dylan byte codes and Java
Author Message
 Dylan byte codes and Java

 >It appears that Java, having a byte code interpreter, may
 >find a niche for itself in terms of exchanging small 'scripts'
 >across the internet.  Dylan, being compiled only, will
 >not find that as convienent a niche I suspect.

There's nothing about Dylan that requires it to be compiled, byte-code
compiled, or even interpreted. All three approaches are being used in
various implementations: the freeware Mindy (from CMU) is a byte-code
compiler and runtime virtual machine just like Java, and runs on Unix, Mac,
and Windows.

I think it would be very, very cool to see if someone can figure out how to
compile Dylan into byte codes that run on the Java virtual machine. The
spec for the Java VM is freely available, as is the Mindy source code...
(hint, hint).

The biggest limitations I can see are that Dylan uses multiple inheritence,
and functions are dispatched from all the arguments. Java only has single
inheritance (but has something called "interfaces" which kind of do what
mixins do), and has single dispatch like C++.

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan byte codes and Java
I'd second Steve's (hint hint). We have a project that might need to be done
using Java/HotJava. Me, I'd rather use Dylan if for no other reason than I
think it is a nicer langauge.

  ** Ken **

--
****     Kenneth Knight         Innovation Associates     ****
****                    Software Engineer                 ****

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. mixing Java byte code created from Ada95 and Java byte code created from Java?

2. Eiffel to Java Byte Code compilers...

3. Java Byte code assembler?

4. Ada => Java Byte Code

5. Other languages and Java byte-codes

6. Making Python byte-code compatible with Java

7. Java bytes code

8. Java byte code size

9. Dylan Java Source Code Comparison

10. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

11. Dylan reviewed in Byte

12. Dylan article in BYTE