Harlequin Dylan professional, enterprise editions
Author Message
 Harlequin Dylan professional, enterprise editions

Could someone explain what the buzzword "enterprise" means.  I see it
everywhere now, but it's never been clear just what it's about.  For
instance, what is it that makes the Enterprise Edition of Harlequin
Dylan an *enterprise* edition, rather than just one with some more
features than the Professional?

I've gotten used to "Professional" by now, since it's been around
for ages.  It doesn't seem to have any very specific meaning (in
general, though of course in any particular case it will be about
some features not present in lesser versions).

-- jd

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan professional, enterprise editions

Quote:
>Could someone explain what the buzzword "enterprise" means.  I see it
>everywhere now, but it's never been clear just what it's about.  For
>instance, what is it that makes the Enterprise Edition of Harlequin
>Dylan an *enterprise* edition, rather than just one with some more
>features than the Professional?

Enterprise editions have features that are particularly suited to
developing software for businesses that have large scale, distributed
applications.  CORBA and DCOM are examples of Enterprise technology.
Other examples would be drag and drop UI builders for creating thin
clients, xml tools, etc.

--

                                            http://www.folly.org/~alms
This is our garden, although we have no grass.

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan professional, enterprise editions

Quote:

> Could someone explain what the buzzword "enterprise" means.

  I think it means CORBA and the associated ORB.  Meaning you can
  build applications that interoperate with your legacy data and
  code.  Basically help you run your "enterprise".   Similar to
  Visuage Age Java Enterprise Edition IBM sells.
  http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/vajava/

  People who have applications that are distributed over multiple machines
  have an "enterprise" (i.e., business).   Since there is a "direct" relation to
  the bottom line your probably less price sensitive then the "cottage hacker". :-)

  Pragmatically, "enterprise" means higher cost ( $X,000) .

---
Lyman

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Announcing Harlequin Dylan Enterprise Edition

2. CW50 Enterprise edition & professional edition

3. C5 Enterprise Edition to C5 Professional Edition

4. About clarion 5.0 Enterprise edition and Windows 2000 Professional

5. Trade Delphi 5 Enterprise Edition for Clarion Web Edition with Web Broker

6. Standard Edition or Professional Edition?

7. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

8. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

9. Harlequin releases a free edition of MLWorks

10. Harlequin DylanWorks Personal Edition ?