persistent storage
Author Message
 persistent storage

I have read over the majority of the reference manual and the Dylan
Programming Text from Harlequin and have found no references to persistent
storage. Given the programmer does not control memory management, how can one
sneak "under the hood" and get Dylan to make memory persistent.

Thank you in advance.

Thu, 29 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 persistent storage

    Avery> references to persistent storage. Given the programmer does
    Avery> not control memory management, how can one sneak "under the
    Avery> hood" and get Dylan to make memory persistent.

One doesn't make memory persistent, but objects. The key to
persistency is introspection.

Andreas

--
Ab sofort nur noch wahrhaft schoene Systeme!

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 persistent storage

Quote:

>I have read over the majority of the reference manual and the Dylan
>Programming Text from Harlequin and have found no references to persistent
>storage. Given the programmer does not control memory management, how can one
>sneak "under the hood" and get Dylan to make memory persistent.

>Thank you in advance.

 Well this would be pretty hard since the language doesn't even have
 standard I/O.  So perhaps we should solve that "problem" first. ;-)

 There is nothing in the language that prevents an implmentation from
 providing this.  However, since I'm playing with creating some persistant
 store of some data structures myself it would sure be nice if there were
 some sort of "standard" Pickle facility like what comes along with
 Modula 3.  It need not be portable between implementations. [ I doubt
 dylan libraries are. ]

 It would also be nice if CMU and Harliequin would present what standard
 "I/O" looks like.  I vaguely remeber that they were talking about this before.
 Something with URLs as physical/logical pathnames comes to mind.
 Wrap all sort of caveats around it if you like,
 but it seems like it sure would be extermely prudent to pick something
 and make it available to all implementations. Even if just a straw man.

 It doesn't/shouldn't have to be part of the Dylan library or of Dylan-User.
 However, a canonical library would be useful.

--

Lyman S. Taylor           "Computers are too reliable to replace

                                Commander Nathan Spring, "Starcops"

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 persistent storage

    Lyman>  It would also be nice if CMU and Harliequin would present
    Lyman> what standard "I/O" looks like.  I vaguely remeber that

AFAIK, both Harlequin and Apple accepted CMUs proposal as something of
a standard. See the Streams module of Mindy.

Andreas

--
Ab sofort nur noch wahrhaft schoene Systeme!

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 persistent storage

Quote:

>I have read over the majority of the reference manual and the Dylan
>Programming Text from Harlequin and have found no references to persistent
>storage. Given the programmer does not control memory management, how can one
>sneak "under the hood" and get Dylan to make memory persistent.

For the systems I've built with Mindy I've done this using the
introspection library.  I use it to make methods like 'flatten' and
'inflate' which for an instance of a class do the fields serially and
for a non-class do a type specific action.

I couple this with an interface to the Berkeley database code to make
a sort of primitive object store.

This doesn't get me to a real persistent system, but it does let me
save my objects and get them back without writing any class specific
code.

The introspection libraries aren't specified in the DRM, but I think
most implementations will have (do have) them.

The mindy introspection library is documented under..
        http://legend.gwydion.cs.cmu.edu/gwydion/mindy/mindy.html
(Section 14 if you're in a hurry.  Not too much of a hurry, its an
 800kb web page.)

--
                                     Jim Studt
                                     The Federated Software Group, Inc.

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. FunO Persistent Storage Lib (DOOD)

2. Simple persistent object storage: seeking advice on storing user defined, runtime defined abstract datatypes into Oracle

3. Simple persistent object storage: seeking advice on storing user defined, runtime defined abstract datatypes into Oracle

4. working-storage vs. local-storage

5. CFP OOPSLA'96 Workshop on Objects in Large Distributed and Persistent Software Systems

6. persistent objects

7. Voss 3.0 - persistent object transactions for VA Smalltalk - free evaluation

8. Persistent accessors

9. Persistent accessors

10. Persistent array?

11. XML as persistent Smalltalk

12. Reading NEXT and PREV with persistent form (5.5 ABC)