Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #122
Author Message
 Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #122

Quote:
>I think Dylan should stay small.  Without a doubt it will become a _great_
>alternative to C based programming and hopefully (one can dream) a {*filter*}
>language.  It should be easy to understand.  It should be extensible.

As DYLAN is developed, please keep in mind that the size of the
language is not nearly as important as the ability to develope and
debug programs quickly and eaisly.  The lack of A full featured
interface library and a good debugging environment will hurt the
language more than a few added features that aren't used by everyone.
Those of us that used Symbolics machines know how important these
features are, but we also know how important it is to develop portable
code.

I hope you consider what the language MUST provide to be functional
and allow rapid program development.  CLIM and LISP provide part of
this.  What must be retained and improved to continue the SPIRIT of
LISP programming, but provide reasonable sized, portable executables.

Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:57:31 GMT
 Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #122
In retrospect when I said Dylan should stay small I was pretty vague.
What I really should have said is that I hope the development environment
is simple... i.e. easy to use and not any bigger than it has to be.

I can see plainly that we're going to all have things like washing machines
with 16 megabytes of RAM in a couple of years.  Keeping the language "tight"
is probably pretty pointless when you don't really _need_ small systems
anymore.  However what I don't want is it to turn into another C++...

all fluff and no substance.

--thomas--

-----

--
Someone said to me recently, "I've got my _whole_ summer in this camera."
I think the philosophical implications of this statement are staggering.

Sun, 17 Mar 1996 07:22:59 GMT
 Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #122

Quote:

>I can see plainly that we're going to all have things like washing machines
>with 16 megabytes of RAM in a couple of years.  Keeping the language "tight"
>is probably pretty pointless when you don't really _need_ small systems
>anymore.

One small point: I think it's a mistake to think that the rapid
decline in price of memory and CPU power means that languages
don't have to worry about the speed and size of the generated
executables.  As hardware gets cheaper, people try to do more
with it: Programmers pack more and more features into programs,
and people try to multitask more and more programs.  This happens
so fast that the poor hardware buyer can barely keep up.  (The
attitudes of magazine writers don't help.)

I don't mean to imply that everything must be written in C (or
assembler!), just that it's wrong to stop worrying about size and
speed.  Indeed, if size and speed weren't an issue, maybe Apple's
Advanced Technology Group would have just added an Algol-like
syntax to CLOS, and never started on Dylan.

                Marshall Abrams

Sun, 17 Mar 1996 22:28:18 GMT

1. Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #127

2. Info Dylan Digest Digest V1 #114