Status of Dylan implementations
Author Message
 Status of Dylan implementations

Hello,

I would like to ask some questions about the status of the
two surviving Dylan implementations.

1) Let's begin with Gwydion. When are we going to see the
first release of this project? Do they have a schedule that
I probably haven't heard of? And finally what machines are
they going to target first?

I understand that Gwydion is more than a compiler for
the language,  but if a minimal system with a compiler,
an interpreter and an Emacs mode is ready, I think that
it would be better to release it, so we could start
working with the full Dylan. IMO this would be much
better than Mindy since (a) Mindy is a batch system
and (b) Mindy is slow.

2) About Harlequin DylanWorks now. I read on their Web pages
that by the end of 1996 they would create some applications
using DylanWorks and they would announce a schedule for the
release of their implementation. This is 1997 and unfortunately
they have not announced anything. Does anybody have more
information that he/she can disclose? (BTW, I'm playing
with MLWorks right now, and I think it's great).

I don't want to sound impatient but I really like the
language and I would like to start making some real work
with Dylan and persuade others that this is a great
lnaguage. Unfortunately I can't do that with Mindy
the main reason being that Mindy is slow compared to any
C, C++ or fortran compiler. And certainly I can't wait
for an indefinite amount of time since there are some
good alternatives like CL and ML, that have very good
implementations as I write this.

Konstantinos Efstathiou
Student of Physics, University of Athens, Greece

Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Status of Dylan implementations

NOTE: I'm not on either the Gwydion or Harelquin development
        teams. Therefore, informed speculation and opinions
        follow..

Quote:

>1) Let's begin with Gwydion. When are we going to see the
>first release of this project? Do they have a schedule that
>I probably haven't heard of? And finally what machines are
>they going to target first?
>and (b) Mindy is slow.

   From discussions long gone by I'm under the impression that
   the Gwydion compiler was being written in Dylan. Therefore,
   Mindy being slow is somewhat of a handicap.

   The questions specifically. Unannounced as to when the first
   release is "due". [ Lots of people would have liked it "yesterday".]
   I'm sure they have an internal schedule. I would imagine
   that it has "slid" and/or been revised numerous times. :-(

   As to target platforms I would imagine that Mindy's platforms would
   be a good guess ( Unix and WinNT ). I haven't dug through the archives
   but I vaguely recall some suggestion that compiler could/would produce
   C code. I'm not sure how "portable" that approach would be.

Quote:
>2) About Harlequin DylanWorks now. I read on their Web pages
>that by the end of 1996 they would create some applications
>using DylanWorks and they would announce a schedule for the
>release of their implementation. This is 1997 and unfortunatel

   I think that comment about the "end of 1996" was made early in '96
   and not updated. The last modification date of that web page was
   Oct '96. Not sure what was updated at that point ( perhaps the pointer
   to the Dylan Programming book).

   [ The DRM link still points at the www.cambridge.apple.com location...
        There is a DRM at harlequin now in www.harlequin.com/books/ ]

Quote:
>they have not announced anything. Does anybody have more
>information that he/she can disclose?

   If there is any Alpha/Beta users I think they might be under a nondisclosure
   agreement.  I imagine that Harlequin will have a more public Beta testing
   round as the environment gets close to being released.
--

Lyman S. Taylor          "Any sufficiently advanced technology is

                                   -- paraphrased Arthur C. Clarke
                                        seen somewhere on the USENET

Sat, 31 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Status of Dylan implementations

[snip]

Quote:
>As for DylanWorks, as far as I know, Harlequin still has a large team
>still working on it

We certainly do - the project is large by any standards. (ad. - and
we're still hiring good QA staff - resumes to me!).

[snip]

Quote:
>It would be nice to hear some revised estimated release dates.

Plans through Beta and up to launch are being finalized right now - we
will be in a position to provide more information soon - within a few
weeks. I will post here as soon as is possible.

Keep the faith!

Regards
Clive Harris
Product Marketing Manager
Harlequin.

Sun, 01 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Status of Dylan implementations

Can anyone tell me how to get off of this list?
Cheers,

Ian

Sun, 01 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Status of Dylan implementations

Quote:
> As far as I know, Gwydion is only going to run under Unix and will
> generate machine code directly.

        In newsgroup postings, and e-mail, certain members of the Gwydion
team have stated that Unix *and* Windows NT are targets.

        Does anyone else find it satisfying that when (if?) real Dylan
compilers are released, they will be for Unix and Windows NT/95, *not*
Apple?

Quote:
> In their initial release, they are
> targeting SPARC architecture, but the backend of their compiler is
> modularized and can easily be modified to target other processors. IHMO,
> in order to promote Dylan/Gwydion to a larger audience, they might want to
> consider aiming for Linux/x86.

        Agreed. The Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD community has lots of hackers who
would be willing to experiment with a new language, even if it isn't
popular or "commercial".

Quote:
> As for DylanWorks, as far as I know, Harlequin still has a large team
> still working on it.  They are rather silent about it though.

        Yup. And all of the Dylan web pages point to Apple's defunct
Cambridge site for the DRM. What's up with that?

Quote:
> It would be nice to hear some revised estimated release dates.

        How many more missed estimated release dates do you need to hear
before you just don't believe them any more? I hate to be cynical, but it
would be nicer to hear that a beta testing program had begun and that you
could download an actual compiler, not that in 3Q 97 something will happen.

-- Brian

Wed, 04 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Status of Dylan implementations

Is there any chance you could grace us with any more tantalizing
snippets? Will DylanWorks support OLE/COM? I mean, really support it?
Will it support embedding ActiveX controls?

More importantly - will it support CORBA? Will it be possible to
extend it to support CORBA if it doesn't? CORBA is actually preferable
to supporting OLE automation, since Iona supplies a COM/CORBA bridge.

I'm in the midst of a project which is using MFC, OLE automation, and
Visual Basic, all to talk to a high-end LISP-like back  end which,
unfortunately, doesn't have the tools for building the type of client
apps we need. The frustration level at the backasswards nature of the
tools is incredible. I desperately want to convince people here to
switch to Dylan, but there's no way that will happen unless it really
can replace and augment the functionality of our current tools.
Mostly, that means delivering apps which are competitive to Visual C++
in delivered size and space, and support all the latest Windows
gadgets and doohickeys.

Thanks,
Adam Alpern

Plans through Beta and up to launch are being finalized right now -
we
will be in a position to provide more information soon - within a few
weeks. I will post here as soon as is possible.

Keep the faith!

Regards
Clive Harris
Product Marketing Manager
Harlequin.

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Status of Dylan implementations

2. Status of Dylan on MacOS X

3. Dylan status

4. Dylan status

5. Status of Apple Dylan?

6. What's the real status of Dylan?

7. Status of Dylan?

8. Status of Dylan

9. Status of Dylan?

10. Status of Dylan / security

11. status of dylan?

12. Haskell implementation status summary