Dylan ref manual sighting
Author Message
 Dylan ref manual sighting

I was in Cambridge (free Cambridge, not its royalist namesake ;-) last week
and I spotted a draft of the soon to be published DRM amongst drafts of all
of the Java books, in a Quantum Books. It seems like Apple is putting the
cart before the horse, releasing a book after squashing the project. Not
too surprising, since Apple is kind of a zombie company (they don't realize
that they're dead yet). They'll probably cancel the book after releasing the
draft.

Thumbing through it reminded me just how cool Dylan is. I hope CMU and
Harlequin are successful with it. Java is pretty good, but it isn't as
good as Dylan.

-- Brian

Mon, 08 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan ref manual sighting

Quote:

>I was in Cambridge (free Cambridge, not its royalist namesake ;-) last week
>and I spotted a draft of the soon to be published DRM amongst drafts of all
>of the Java books, in a Quantum Books. It seems like Apple is putting the
>cart before the horse, releasing a book after squashing the project.

I'm hoping Digitool (or _anyone_... anyone out there? please?) will
acquire Apple Dylan.

Quote:
>Not
>too surprising, since Apple is kind of a zombie company (they don't realize
>that they're dead yet). They'll probably cancel the book after releasing the
>draft.

I think Apple has been giving the impression of living death because
they're so busy with MacOS 8, other projects have been neglected.

Quote:
>Thumbing through it reminded me just how cool Dylan is. I hope CMU and
>Harlequin are successful with it. Java is pretty good, but it isn't as
>good as Dylan.

Unfortunately for us poor Mac programmers, Harlequin seems not to be
working on a Mac version.

--
Ashley Branchfeather

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Posting Apple's Dylan Ref Manual?

2. Until Ref. Manual Online

3. Language Ref. Manual

4. Typos in ref manual

5. ref manual web page broken

6. A first draft python fact sheet, extracted from the Python Ref Manual

7. App-Ref: Need to break up a large App, App-Ref can help

8. Ref.: Re: Ref.: Re: Time.local bug?

9. list-ref <-> vector-ref

10. Book FS: Dylan Reference Manual, by Andrew Shalit.

11. How update of Dylan reference manual?

12. How update of Dylan reference manual?