Interacting with a live application
Author Message
 Interacting with a live application

Hi All - this is a first post from a guy that is either going to be using
Dylan a *lot* or not at all...

And my first question is...

On the fun-o website:

Dylan was designed to interact with a "live" delivered application across a
tether, allowing the development environment to interact with and modify an
application while it is running.

Anybody care to add some meat to that bone? This aspect of the language is
very interesting to me. Can I generate and compile code on-the-fly as I can
is Lisp?

Thanks,

Tom.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:30:27 GMT
 Interacting with a live application

Quote:
> Hi All - this is a first post from a guy that is either going to be using
> Dylan a *lot* or not at all...

> And my first question is...

> On the fun-o website:

> Dylan was designed to interact with a "live" delivered application across
> tether, allowing the development environment to interact with and modify
an
> application while it is running.

> Anybody care to add some meat to that bone? This aspect of the language is
> very interesting to me. Can I generate and compile code on-the-fly as I
can
> is Lisp?

What it means is that you can start a Dylan application and,
if it crashes, you can start a debugging session on it over a
"tether" (i.e., IPC to another process, RPC over the net to
another machine, etc) to debug it, even if you didn't specially
start the application with the intention of debugging it.

Dylan does not include in the language runtime the syntactic
constructs of the language, nor does it include a compiler
in the run-time.  This is probably the biggest difference
between Dylan and Lisp.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 08:10:17 GMT

1. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code584

2. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code2516

3. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code3881

4. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code3046

5. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code585

6. Live update of prefs for Tkinter applications?

7. Live dragging window with live refresh

8. Can Dolphin interact with Java?

9. Interacting with a TSO user from a program

10. Interacting with a TSO user from a program

11. The Interact On-line Information System

12. 2 classes, would like to know how they interact with each other