Advantages of Dylan over Java?
Author Message
 Advantages of Dylan over Java?

  Could somebody tell me what the main advantages of Dylan over Java are,
or point me in the right direction?  I couldn't find any such comparison in
the FAQ, on the web using Lycos or in this newsgroup (perhaps it's in older
posts that were flushed out by the server).

I'm curious from a language-design point of view, but also have a practical
interest: we're trying to decide what UI language to port (at least the UI
part of) our CommonLisp system to in order to make it run on PC/Windows and
so far Java looks like one of the main contenders.

  TIA,

--Pete

--
-----------
WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~pshell

Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Advantages of Dylan over Java?

Quote:

> I'm curious from a language-design point of view, but also have a practical
> interest: we're trying to decide what UI language to port (at least the UI
> part of) our CommonLisp system to in order to make it run on PC/Windows and
> so far Java looks like one of the main contenders.

Why not write the GUI in Common Lisp? Seems obvious when
the application is already written in CL. You could use
Allegro CL from Franz Inc. (http://www.franz.com/).
CLIM could be one choice.

Also watch out for Harlequin LispWorks on NT:

Quote:
> http://www.harlequin.com/full/products/sp/theworks2.html
> LispWorks for the PC

> Harlequin will also be showing the first PC version of the LispWorks
> integrated object-oriented
> programming environment for prototyping, developing, and deploying
> advanced applications.
> LispWorks will be demonstrated under Windows NT.

The Web is latest GUI. See
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html for
CL-HTTP, a web server written in Common Lisp, which can be used
to give CL applications a web presence. Clients then use
your CL applications via Netscape Navigator or MSIE.
Maximum portability.

Don't forget Macintosh Common Lisp (http://www.digitool.com/), which
can be used too develop cool graphical user interfaces
(see for example the Apple Dylan IDE) running on the Mac.

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig

Sat, 06 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advantages of Dylan over Java (second try)

2. Advantages of Dylan over Java

3. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

4. Advantages of Smalltalk over Java

5. 5i advantage over java

6. Subtle Smalltalk advantage over Java ?

7. advantages and disadvantages of C++, Java and Smalltalk

8. Advantages/Disadvantages of Java

9. advantages of java?

10. Calling Java from Dylan

11. Dylan to Java/JVM compiler?