embedded Dylan?
Author Message
 embedded Dylan?

I'm doing a lot of embedded stuff lately.  I was
wondering if anyone has thoughts about Dylan for
embedded applications.  I hear there is a
micro-controller version of Linux in the works
Additionally there a 1x3 inch microcontroller
board which will run mirco-Linux ('mu'-Linux) too.
If d2c converts Dylan to C, then I ought to be able
to compile the resulting C source to just about
any micro-controller, right?

Also has anyone had thoughts of Dylan based
applets for web browsers (Netscape)?

Les

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 embedded Dylan?

Quote:

> If d2c converts Dylan to C, then I ought to be able
> to compile the resulting C source to just about
> any micro-controller, right?

As long as that microcontroller has a 32 bit architecture, this is
right. Porting the garbage collector could be tricky though, as this
heavily depends on the processor architecture and the operating
system.

So if you're running Linux on one of the StrongARM, SPARC, PowerPC,
MIPS or ia32 based microcontrollers, you have a chance.

There's even support for cross-compiling using d2c, but the build
system to generate that is slightly broken at the moment.

Quote:
> Also has anyone had thoughts of Dylan based
> applets for web browsers (Netscape)?

This would require moving the initialization code into the __init
section of the shared library that represents the plugin. This is
doable, but as well not supported at the moment.

So there are no fundamental problems with what you want, but it all
requires some work.

Andreas

--
"Niemand hat die Absicht, eine Firewall einzurichten"

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 embedded Dylan?

Quote:

> I'm doing a lot of embedded stuff lately.  I was
> wondering if anyone has thoughts about Dylan for
> embedded applications.  I hear there is a
> micro-controller version of Linux in the works
> Additionally there a 1x3 inch microcontroller
> board which will run mirco-Linux ('mu'-Linux) too.
> If d2c converts Dylan to C, then I ought to be able
> to compile the resulting C source to just about
> any micro-controller, right?

> Also has anyone had thoughts of Dylan based
> applets for web browsers (Netscape)?

One of our original Harlequin Dylan demos was a Netscape plugin (of a DUIM
scribble app), but that used a previous incarnation of the runtime. It hasn't
been resuscitated recently.

__Jason

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 embedded Dylan?

Quote:

> > Also has anyone had thoughts of Dylan based
> > applets for web browsers (Netscape)?

> This would require moving the initialization code into the __init
> section of the shared library that represents the plugin. This is
> doable, but as well not supported at the moment.

This would be platform-specific, Active-Y style. If Mindy's bytecode
output could be regulated, a Java-style cross-platform aura could be
added. :-)

- Rob.

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

2. Dylan vs DyLan

3. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

4. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

5. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

6. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

7. Dylan, guys, Dylan.

8. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

9. Dylan alternative (was Dylan complexity)

10. Sudden interest in Dylan/Dylan should be open.

11. c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

12. Dylan, guys, Dylan.